GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half-Life 2 release plans"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life 2'.
Thu 04/09/03 at 09:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
From avault.com

"Valve Software wants to make sure you get only as much of Half-Life 2 as you want to play. The developer is planning to ship separate versions of the first-person shooter later this month as well as offer various purchase options through Steam (the company's broadband platform for the delivery of digital content).

Three retail versions will appear in stores at different price points. One will contain the single-player game but lack multiplayer content and mod support. This mass market product will be sold at places such as Wal-Mart.
Another will contain Half-Life 2's single- and multi-player components as well as full mod support. It will be sold at places like GameStop and Electronics Boutique.
The third will be the Collector's Edition - which Valve says will contain plenty of bonus materials.
Steam users will be able to purchase Half-Life 2 outright or buy it on subscription. The buy-it-once crowd will have to pay separately for expansion products."
Thu 04/09/03 at 13:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Exactly.
Most serious online gamers are broadband, so being a member of Steam isn't an issue.
I'm on dialup but not interested in online games, so I get to buy the cheaper, single-player only version and that'll do me lovely.
Thu 04/09/03 at 13:34
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I just read that it's cheaper to buy the single player version alone, but you will be able to upgrade to the full multiplayer version via Steam. The money you save from buying the stand alone single player game, will be the amount you pay to upgrade. Not a bad idea actually.
Thu 04/09/03 at 13:34
"I love yo... lamp."
Pretty good idea. Pick up more sales as it will appeal more to more casual gamers. Those who are hardcore Half Life fans can still have their online deathmatches and mods.
Thu 04/09/03 at 13:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Whereas I'm just interested in the single player version, so that's cheaper.

I think it's a good idea
Thu 04/09/03 at 13:23
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Heard about this yesterday. Sounds suspicious, but if it's true then I'd say Valve could be turing into another money grabbing EA. I like the multiplayer support for the original Half-life, but if the copy I get of HL2 doesn't come with multiplayer, sod it.

I'm not going to spend money on buying a second edition which includes it and I'm certainly not going to refund the copy of my game to get one the other two versions. It's the single player I'm after, just so long as that remains the same I'm not fussed.
Thu 04/09/03 at 09:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
From avault.com

"Valve Software wants to make sure you get only as much of Half-Life 2 as you want to play. The developer is planning to ship separate versions of the first-person shooter later this month as well as offer various purchase options through Steam (the company's broadband platform for the delivery of digital content).

Three retail versions will appear in stores at different price points. One will contain the single-player game but lack multiplayer content and mod support. This mass market product will be sold at places such as Wal-Mart.
Another will contain Half-Life 2's single- and multi-player components as well as full mod support. It will be sold at places like GameStop and Electronics Boutique.
The third will be the Collector's Edition - which Valve says will contain plenty of bonus materials.
Steam users will be able to purchase Half-Life 2 outright or buy it on subscription. The buy-it-once crowd will have to pay separately for expansion products."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.