GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half-Life 2 release plans"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life 2'.
Thu 04/09/03 at 09:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
From avault.com

"Valve Software wants to make sure you get only as much of Half-Life 2 as you want to play. The developer is planning to ship separate versions of the first-person shooter later this month as well as offer various purchase options through Steam (the company's broadband platform for the delivery of digital content).

Three retail versions will appear in stores at different price points. One will contain the single-player game but lack multiplayer content and mod support. This mass market product will be sold at places such as Wal-Mart.
Another will contain Half-Life 2's single- and multi-player components as well as full mod support. It will be sold at places like GameStop and Electronics Boutique.
The third will be the Collector's Edition - which Valve says will contain plenty of bonus materials.
Steam users will be able to purchase Half-Life 2 outright or buy it on subscription. The buy-it-once crowd will have to pay separately for expansion products."
Tue 09/09/03 at 15:37
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Practical Magic wrote:
> Valve will hit the Sept 30th release date....making it the first game
> I've ever known to come out on a Tuesday

I think it's to co-inside with the release in America, Valve seem to want to keep the release date the same for both the US and Europe. I'm still pessimistic about this though.
Mon 08/09/03 at 18:59
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Someone posted in FOG Chat with the min spec needed - seems a little low - but anyhow, a story on the BBC website still reckons Valve will hit the Sept 30th release date....making it the first game I've ever known to come out on a Tuesday...I don't even know if I'll get it on release date because PC games fall in price so fast now and theres so much Xbox stuff I want, plus loads of people will buy it, copy it, then trade them in at Gamestation so I may get a second hand copy from there.
Mon 08/09/03 at 10:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
> We've had some feedback that we should sell the top SKU
> (single-player only no MODs) on Steam, and my reaction has been
> "yeah, right, for the three people in the world who have a
> broadband connection, are sophisticated enough to purchase software
> over the Internet, but DON'T want to play MODs and multiplayer".
---

Wow, someone talking sense in the business...I'm actually surprised they're being this intelligent about it.
I just want the single player game, I'll buy that from SR and thanksverymuch.
Sun 07/09/03 at 16:22
Regular
cipro wrote:
> Lipe wrote:
> I'd prefer it came out in Christmas.
>
> That'd be a fairly crap release date. Not only will it co-inside with
> about a dozen other big releases, but September is also a pretty slow
> month for games, in fact besides the odd few games (Max Payne 2,
> Halo) there's almost nothing of intreats out.

Yeah, I know but I meant Christmas would be better for me, I get money then :D
Sun 07/09/03 at 12:50
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Belldandy wrote:
> I'm a little concerned about Half Life 2 making it's 30th September
> release date, not too many online retailers have it...

Yeah it does seem unlikely it'll make the end of this month. Hardly any publicity and to my knowledge, no new sceenshots or videos. Odd since it's only three weeks till it's intended release.

Saying that though, Valve have said the game it very close to going gold and will make the 30th September release even though it'll be very close. I guess all we can do is see and wait, but I'll not be building my hopes up on a Sept. release just in case.
Sun 07/09/03 at 12:47
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Lipe wrote:
> I'd prefer it came out in Christmas.

That'd be a fairly crap release date. Not only will it co-inside with about a dozen other big releases, but September is also a pretty slow month for games, in fact besides the odd few games (Max Payne 2, Halo) there's almost nothing of intreats out.

Half Life 2 would neatly fill the gap between now and Christmas, which at that time I'll be getting ready to pre-order the likes of Doom 3 and Deus Ex 2.
Sun 07/09/03 at 12:17
Regular
It would suit me best if games like HL2, DX:IW and D3 came out near the end of the year. Then I have more time to get a new PC.
Sun 07/09/03 at 09:48
Regular
I'd prefer it came out in Christmas.
Sat 06/09/03 at 19:25
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I'm a little concerned about Half Life 2 making it's 30th September release date, not too many online retailers have it...
Sat 06/09/03 at 19:13
Regular
"Couldn't Give a stu"
Sounds pretty SWEEEET

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.