GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Otogi?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/09/03 at 21:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
What?

I played it in a shop yesterday and, er. Muh? It seemed like a hyperactive video of Devil May Cry. I heard people ranting about it and wondered what all the fuss was about.

All I did was hammer the two attack buttons and jump.
Sun 07/09/03 at 21:03
Regular
Hmm.

Well, I'll look into it.
Sun 07/09/03 at 22:08
Regular
"Laughingstock"
As much as I like Otogi, I can'thelp thinking that it could've been truly brilliant if they'd eased up on the relentless combat for one minute and included more "adventure/exploration" elements.
I'm up to stage 15, and it's becoming slightly over-bearing. Enemies coming at you from all angles.
Why there's never any "subtlety" in these sort of games I just don't know???
A few puzzles would've improved matters - you know, time to breathe a little.

It's good, looks amazing and the combat is satisfying, but I fear it's descending into cliche - with the stereotypical fiery underworld levels etc.
As I'm playing it, I'm getting this horrible haunting feeling that I'm losing interest in videogames. I trying to defeat a boss at the moment, and I'm not sure if I've got the will. Game-ruining bosses again - time to change to record guys. They are boring and we've seen it all before.
Sun 07/09/03 at 23:12
Regular
Some bosses can be good, some bad. So far the bosses I've fought in otogi have been okay. Fighting the demon with red flaming hair was good. That flying water spirit was a pain. Overall the game is enjoyable. My only criticism is that the levels are on the small side {so far}.
Mon 08/09/03 at 09:11
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
It annoys me that every other game coming out these days has RPG elements written on the back of the box, even if that just means leveling up your character in some way. I did notice that OTOGI had RPG elements on the box, which, of course, made me want it. So how is the "RPG element" of the game?
Mon 08/09/03 at 10:19
Regular
"Laughingstock"
The RPG elements are minimal to say the least.
Magic starts off at level 1 and goes up to level 4. There's some items to find or buy which increase your resistance to certain enemies. There's weapons which have different powers, for instance, there's a staff which can make you jump higher.
I'm not sure if these things can be classed as RPG elements...
Wed 10/09/03 at 17:04
Regular
"gsybe you!"
gamezfreak wrote:
> • Loads of weapons to use (including double Kantana swords!)
> • Loads of magic to take advantage of
> • Smash buildings into pieces.
> • Smash chunks of wall into pieces
> • Create crators into the ground
> • Smash enemies into rocks/walls and they crumble on impact
> • Jump into the air and totally batter your enemies (matrix style)
> • Varied enemies to fight
> • Huge boss battles
> • Amazing graphics (I emphasize the word 'amazing')
>
>

So, hack and slash then.

Still, it was quite fun in places, but the graphics in the bit I played were nothing special, but I didn't fight anything particularly impressive.

I wouldn't buy it. I like hack and slash in beat em'ups, not in a full blown single player game.
Wed 10/09/03 at 19:25
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
The problem is you so busy beating the crap out of everything you cant really see the detail in the characters, i mean take time to look at the demons made out of snakes, it really is impressive.
But im about level 8-9 forget which the one after the centipede dragon boss, my main cripe is the story or the lack of it, its all just go here and expell the demon, but hopefully you learn more about raikoh and the princess later on in the game.
but on a whole i like it, too many games have puzzle/stratagy elements which take to long to get in to, so its nice to have a pick up and play game outside of the car/kart racing genre.
Wed 10/09/03 at 21:44
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Apart from the early levels, Otogi main problem is the level design: too small and not enjoyable. The gameplay is excellent, but the levels don't fulfil the early promise.
Sat 13/09/03 at 23:11
Regular
Bah, sounds like something of a missed oppurtunity then - I was always quite wary with it. Nevertheless, I'll still keep an open mind; at least until GamesTM's verdict.
Sat 13/09/03 at 23:42
Regular
Rosalind wrote:
> It annoys me that every other game coming out these days has RPG
> elements written on the back of the box, even if that just means
> leveling up your character in some way. I did notice that OTOGI had
> RPG elements on the box, which, of course, made me want it. So how
> is the "RPG element" of the game?

Strictly speaking, in this "Role Playing Game", you played the "Role" of a "hacker and slasher"!

I think that this was what the first RPG's were like back in the mid-eighties. Even the first Zelda was mostly like that, with a bit more exploration involved.

I suppose RPG's are normally associated with FF style, story/adventure games.

Calling a game like this an RPG is probably like calling somebody happy "gay"...

...unless ofcourse they're happy for a certain reason! ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.