GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo= Originality."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/09/01 at 11:00
Regular
Nintendo certainly goes hand in hand with the word 'Innovation'. When they develop something, in particular Controllers for their system's, the world watches with interest and baited breath.

The first time Nintendo Perhaps caught the publics attention was with the Super Famicom Controller (Super Nes), being the first to use shoulder buttons.

With It's Y, B, X ,A Green , Red, Blue, Yellow layout. Not only was it colourful and a joy to look at then, but it was comfortable too.

In 1995, Nintendo released the only true 3-D system in the world: Virtual Boy. And with it came the Virtual Boy controller.
Perhaps what was striking then was Nintendo's use in including TWO D- pads on the controller, (digital) on the left side and right of the controller. What was also striking was for the first time ever, 'Prongs' where used a feature, to be picked up upon and used later on the Playstation.

But the 'Biggey' in terms of Controller releases had to have been the showing of the Nintendo 64 controller. Nintendo kept this baby under wraps for a good while, showing the console first because it was the final design. But not showing the controller for months after, in case of the usual copying back lash and stealing of Ideas.

The most unique feature of the Nintendo 64 is the controller itself. Which was first to introduce analog control, and was designed especially for the Game super Mario 64, a description of the buttons is below
C buttons: these buttons work in a group for changing camera angles and view in 3D games or work independently for other controls.
Control stick: Reacts to the slightest pressure or the quickest move. Designed especially for 3D games
A and B buttons: the primary buttons used for most games, larger size for increased player comfort
Z button: unique handle mounted button, allows players to use it like a trigger
L and R buttons: Special top mounted buttons for additional control

Perhaps the Gamecube controller is the ultimate evolution of the groundbreaking N64 Pad. With it's unique featues and playability looks, Nintendo is sure onto a winner.

However I haven't held the Gamecube controller so naturally I'm not going to give my opinion of it. But If reports are to go by, the Gamecube controller will be the greatest joypad EVER concieved from the illustrious headquarters of Kyoto and indeed, throughout the planet.

Let's sit back and watch as as Game Companies get beavering away at a controller in direct response to Nintendo's. The Results could be surprising or more than likely, not surprising at all (Dual Shock anyone?)
Sun 23/09/01 at 23:49
"High polygon count"
I had a console in the late 80's which had two controlers with analogue sticks - so I'm afraid Nintendo didn't invent that.

Also, I notice that no mention is made of the highly original 'TV Boy' - an adapter which lets you watch TV on your GBA. Wonder if that could be because Sega actually had the same thing for the Game Gear in the late 80's... hmm...
Sun 23/09/01 at 23:14
Regular
"Back For Good"
It's what your used to really, I mean they're all quite similar but each have their own control system and "feel"

I love the Dual shock for various reasons. Tekken and the very old games use the D-pad, For other games the analog stick, for the rest use both analog sticks and the shoulder buttons.

I love it :-)
Sun 23/09/01 at 22:05
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Can't do a circuling motion!?
Geez.
Well, this is coming from the guy who stated that the Playstation Analogue Controller was released before the N64!!
Heh Heh.
Sun 23/09/01 at 21:45
Regular
cant get a circling motion? obviosily you havnt played 1080 snowboarding.

THe N64 pad can also be held in two different positions, so can cater for for more games in that sense.
Sun 23/09/01 at 19:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I find the N64 pad far too hard to use.

It's stick is too loose, it's inaccurate under pressure and you can't get a circling motion with it. Also, it doesn't double as a useful button. Starfighter would be usless with an N64 pad, because the user doesn't have access to enough buttons whilst maintaining full control.
Sun 23/09/01 at 19:34
Regular
Well I haven't measured them, but I find the N64s stick much easier to use. It may be because im not used to it but I dont enjoy using the PS pad.
Sun 23/09/01 at 19:32
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
HA!

The sticks are much bigger than the N64's though!
Sun 23/09/01 at 18:42
Regular
I don't like the PS pad much at all, the sticks are too small, theres too many shoulder buttons to press. I mean its alright but I would rather have an N64 pad.
Sun 23/09/01 at 18:22
i'll have to agree with you there
Sun 23/09/01 at 18:13
Regular
I dont think the PS2 pad is perfect. On ISS i find it hard to use the left shoulder buttons together with the normal buttons to execute a chip. I can still do it, but it aint comfartable. ISS on the 64 has easier controls.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.