GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo= Originality."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/09/01 at 11:00
Regular
Nintendo certainly goes hand in hand with the word 'Innovation'. When they develop something, in particular Controllers for their system's, the world watches with interest and baited breath.

The first time Nintendo Perhaps caught the publics attention was with the Super Famicom Controller (Super Nes), being the first to use shoulder buttons.

With It's Y, B, X ,A Green , Red, Blue, Yellow layout. Not only was it colourful and a joy to look at then, but it was comfortable too.

In 1995, Nintendo released the only true 3-D system in the world: Virtual Boy. And with it came the Virtual Boy controller.
Perhaps what was striking then was Nintendo's use in including TWO D- pads on the controller, (digital) on the left side and right of the controller. What was also striking was for the first time ever, 'Prongs' where used a feature, to be picked up upon and used later on the Playstation.

But the 'Biggey' in terms of Controller releases had to have been the showing of the Nintendo 64 controller. Nintendo kept this baby under wraps for a good while, showing the console first because it was the final design. But not showing the controller for months after, in case of the usual copying back lash and stealing of Ideas.

The most unique feature of the Nintendo 64 is the controller itself. Which was first to introduce analog control, and was designed especially for the Game super Mario 64, a description of the buttons is below
C buttons: these buttons work in a group for changing camera angles and view in 3D games or work independently for other controls.
Control stick: Reacts to the slightest pressure or the quickest move. Designed especially for 3D games
A and B buttons: the primary buttons used for most games, larger size for increased player comfort
Z button: unique handle mounted button, allows players to use it like a trigger
L and R buttons: Special top mounted buttons for additional control

Perhaps the Gamecube controller is the ultimate evolution of the groundbreaking N64 Pad. With it's unique featues and playability looks, Nintendo is sure onto a winner.

However I haven't held the Gamecube controller so naturally I'm not going to give my opinion of it. But If reports are to go by, the Gamecube controller will be the greatest joypad EVER concieved from the illustrious headquarters of Kyoto and indeed, throughout the planet.

Let's sit back and watch as as Game Companies get beavering away at a controller in direct response to Nintendo's. The Results could be surprising or more than likely, not surprising at all (Dual Shock anyone?)
Tue 25/09/01 at 16:56
"High polygon count"
Found the system!

http://www.old-computers.com/magazine/view.asp?r=2&a=7

It was the Acetronic MPU-1000, and the game I was attempting to describe was "Air/Sea Battle" - the very first screenshot at the bottom of the page.

Click the picture next to the table for a larger view, and note the immense number of buttons, and ANALOGUE joysticks.
Mon 24/09/01 at 16:22
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Just had a look at the Samsung console in the link provided. Not what I was thinking of... It all gets very fuzzy pre 90's.
C+VG has been out for yonks. Bought it for the first time in ages this month - it's pretty good. Yob's mailbag was classic though!
Mon 24/09/01 at 15:18
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
The Samsung Gam*Boy wasn't handheld,but an early plug in your TV type of affair. I don't know when it was around, it was only released in Asia - but I would imagine from the picture I've seen it pre-dates 1989.

I've thrown all my C&VG away along time ago, but I would of been buying it while at senior school, around 1986ish.
Mon 24/09/01 at 15:09
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I think I can remember the Sumsung Gameboy thingy from an old issue of C+VG. It was after the release of the original gameboy if I am correct though.... I can't remember if it ran the same hardware or anything like that though. Quite a long time ago now... I think Julian Rignal was one of the reviewers / editor... With a super-smart spikey mullet.
I think the first issue of C+VG I bought was no 78. With reviews for such gems as the Atari 800XL. Can anyone beat this with an earlier issue??
Mon 24/09/01 at 14:59
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Yeah, that's right! They were unknown in America up until Mario was introduced.
Mario was originally called just 'Jumpman' - not the most original name! ;-) - and that was how he was known in the japanese version of Donkey Kong.
But Jumpman looked like Mario Segalli, the landlord of Nintendo of America's office in New York, and the name stuck.
As soon as they gave Jumpman an identity in the US, the Americans started lapping it up.
Nintendo have an amazing history, and loads of great stories. Get ahold of 'Game Over' if you can... A good (and FACTUAL) read!
Mon 24/09/01 at 14:40
"High polygon count"
Thanks, Tellah. Nice to see someone who can appreciate the undoubtedly glorious history of Nintendo without resorting to claims that they invented the kitchen sink!

Incidentally, I read something today that I found most unusual... Nintendo games were mostly flops until the invention of Mario.

Do you know who Mario was based on?
Mon 24/09/01 at 14:31
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Nintendo has a great history. I got a book free with a magazine once called 'Game Over' - the story of Nintendo.
Nintendo have always been into games, but the games were originally Japanese tile and card based games. Their roots are in games.
They've revolutionised genres and entertainment, as well as the control methods, and have a lot to be proud of.
Why should your average teenage, UK based, Ninty be proud of historical achievements of a company based thousands of miles away, and nothing to do with them? It's beyond me.
It's ok to point out some interesting facts which people like myself may be interested in, but to suggest that Nintendo basically invented analogue control with the N64 is laughable. Analogue control was around before digital signals were even invented!
It's all about games, and no-one here has actually played a GC or Xbox game... have they? And the controllers could feel like a pair of handcuffs for all I know. I've only got a blurred jpeg to judge them by. I'll come back to this topic in 6 MONTHS when someone actually owns a GC.
Stop lying and speculating. I know the PS2 pad works and are comfortable. Why - because I've been playing on a dual shock for 5 odd years!
Mon 24/09/01 at 14:02
Regular
TB you twonk!

(I'm using that word too now!)

Just because the outer case is octagonal, the stick still has a circular base and it can easily to a circle.

Sure, it's a bit awkard if you push the analogue stick so far that it rubs on the octagonal case while you're rotating it.

As for what someone said about Nintendo not coming up with original names...

Well with "Nintendo Entertainment System", "Super Nintendo Entertainment System", "Nintendo 64", "Gameboy", "Gameboy Pocket", "Gameboy Colour", "Gameboy Advance"...

... I can hardly argue with that...

Anyway, the Gamecube name is a step in the right direction.

And, atleast they make up for it with original games that put all others to shame.

I think that Sega have always been best at name making.

Megadrive, Master System, Saturn and Dreamcast are all first class names.

Sony?
Playstation was a good name but Playstation 2?

It must've taken them all of 10 seconds to think of that one!!
Mon 24/09/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's simple physics that you can't get a circular motion on an N64 pad, because the N64 pad doesn't have a circular gap in which the stick moves! It's octagonal! (I think).

Jeez...
Mon 24/09/01 at 13:23
"High polygon count"
Hooplah wrote:
> Something else on that list caught my
> eye and made me chuckle, the Samsung Gam*Boy. By it's looks, I think it may well
> pre-date the Nintendo GameBoy; quite an irony if you consider the thread topic
> name....

Yep, I noticed that too. I didn't mention it, though - after the slating of the "unoriginal" name 'PlayStation 2' despite the highly original GameBoy, GameBoy Colour and GameBoy Advance, I thought it may be a little too much salt in the wounds.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.