GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need a new graphics card"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/09/03 at 11:57
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
I just bought a new PC and the graphics card that came with it is crap!!!, so i need to buy a new one so can actually play games on it, the problem is I dont have a clue which one to buy. Im willing to spend under £100 (im a student) for a fast and reliable card, Im asking u people for your advice? i hear radeon and Gforce are good...
Fri 12/09/03 at 21:09
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Memorandum! wrote:
> My alternate answer:
>
> Neither's your face.

You're quite right. If only on that thought.
Fri 12/09/03 at 21:05
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
His stupidity = amusing.
Therefore, capitals = appropriate.

My alternate answer:

Neither's your face.
Fri 12/09/03 at 21:03
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Memorandum! wrote:
> "two large companies"
> Then you named flagship products.
> HAHAHA.

That's not funny enough to deserve capitals.
Fri 12/09/03 at 20:16
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> i'll explain it this way;
>
> there are two large companies involved in the Graphic Card industry;
> Radeon and Geforce.

"two large companies"
Then you named flagship products.
HAHAHA.

nVidia and ATi
Fri 12/09/03 at 20:14
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Pandemonium wrote:
> You'll have to make sure your motherboard can support AGP 8X on all
> geforce fx cards.

No.
Fri 12/09/03 at 19:11
Regular
A monkey
Fri 12/09/03 at 18:45
Regular
"Couldn't Give a stu"
What type of graphics card do you have
Fri 12/09/03 at 18:05
Regular
i'll explain it this way;

there are two large companies involved in the Graphic Card industry; Radeon and Geforce. the range of cards they offer are large, and it is hard to tell what card compares to another. Besides this, i can tell you that some 3rd party companies (in the graphics industry) like creative and connect 3D can be good. what they do is take an existing card, jiggle it about and tune some things, then release it as a seperate card. Geforce have sparkle as their lead backing company, whereas Radeon have people like Hercules to enlarge their army. it's just a case of finding which one is right for you. i have a distinct principle - if it costs a lot it has to be good - but that's not always the case.
Thu 11/09/03 at 22:56
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Pandemonium wrote:
> What I gather though, if Puddleface is saying that the computer has
> the original card it came with in, its going to be a stinker of a
> card (the one that came with mine is build into the motherboard, and
> is a 8mb one. Ouch!).

He said it was a new PC so it may be a pretty good card already depending on how much the PC was in the first place. What is the current card in the machine? What do you mean by crap? Is it that you can play games at full detail at 50fps or does it have trouble playing games like Unreal 2? If you have something like a low end Radeon, GeForce FX or even an older GeForce then you would really want to spend abit more that £100. You say the computer is new but is it latest spec? If its only a Pentium 3 600mhz with 128mb RAM then this is going to limit what the graphics card can do as system specs are just as important as a fast graphics card.
Thu 11/09/03 at 20:27
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
APG 8x video cards, don't need AGP 8x slots to function - they merely function faster. Or so I'm led to believe.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.