GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need a new graphics card"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/09/03 at 11:57
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
I just bought a new PC and the graphics card that came with it is crap!!!, so i need to buy a new one so can actually play games on it, the problem is I dont have a clue which one to buy. Im willing to spend under £100 (im a student) for a fast and reliable card, Im asking u people for your advice? i hear radeon and Gforce are good...
Fri 19/09/03 at 15:47
Regular
"uncopyable"
Definitely look at getting yourself a Radeon mate. If you can’t afford the big boys of the range (i.e. the 9800/Pro, or even the 9700/Pro) try and get hold of the mentioned 9600 (or the Pro) and in fact, if you could find one a 9500Pro would be even better, although they are tough to find now as they have been phased out.

Word of warning – I would think very carefully before buying any part from NV’s NV35 (AKA GeForce FX) range.

If you want a card that is going to do you well over the next year (or 2) and want to play games with their full DX9 functionality, (TR:AoD and HALF LIFE 2 to name only 2) the GeForce FX (even the high end 5900 Ultra) are not the ones to go for – they have a shockingly bad pixel 2.0 shader unit and as we all know, HL 2 in particular uses this feature heavily. Furthermore the NV35 is having real problem meeting the DX9 specs now the first few DX9 games are coming to market – all to do with the Floating point precision level of the NV range and what DX specifies – I won’t bore you with it in details but believe me, it doesn’t sound good for the FX range as a whole.

Finally, to the guy who said a 5900 Ultra will smoke a 9800 Pro – that is wrong. In some benchmarks it the FX will win, but equally the 9800Pro wins some to. Plus you’ve also gotta’ consider the recent problem NV have been having with their drivers and the fact that they have been cheating to get better benchmarks – yes, any vid card can win a benchmark if the drivers low the IQ without user consent.

I would steer clean of anything from nVidia until the NV40 parts start to ship, and that isn’t gonna’ be until middle of next year at the earliest as it hasn’t even taped out yet..

Just my £2 worth. ;-)
Fri 19/09/03 at 10:14
Regular
Now I'm confused :S
Thu 18/09/03 at 18:04
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
The second thing I said was referring to the graphics card thread.
Thu 18/09/03 at 18:04
Regular
ebuyer.co.uk
Thu 18/09/03 at 17:56
Regular
Where from?
Thu 18/09/03 at 17:55
Regular
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB

£142
Thu 18/09/03 at 17:51
Regular
Lol! No, sorry but I can't make them. I was referring (sp) to the Graphics Card Thread.
Thu 18/09/03 at 17:03
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Lipe wrote:
> If you really want to then I'll make one...if I must...

You can make Radeon 9600's? I'm impressed.
And seriously, if you would, it would save me a lot of time and reduce risk of straining myself through creating one personally.
Thu 18/09/03 at 13:56
Regular
Wow! That's so cheap!
Thu 18/09/03 at 13:53
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm thinking of getting a Radeon 9600 pro since I've seen it for £114 somewhere. Seems to be a nice affordable choice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.