GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CSS help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/06/06 at 22:25
Regular
Okay I'm having a CSS problem with my site, I have a bar with links in "block", at the moment the blocks are aligned on the left. How do I go about centering them in the middle?

Thanks in advanced :)

#block {
float:left;
clear:both;
background-color: #DEDECE;
width: 768px;
height:26px;
border-left: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
border-right: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
border-bottom: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
}

#block a {
text-align: center;
width: 90px;
text-decoration: none;
line-height: 26px;
display: block;
float: left;
}

#block a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
}

#block span {
line-height: 25px;
}

<div id="block">
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page1</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page2</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page3</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page4</a>
</div>

Thu 29/06/06 at 22:25
Regular
Okay I'm having a CSS problem with my site, I have a bar with links in "block", at the moment the blocks are aligned on the left. How do I go about centering them in the middle?

Thanks in advanced :)

#block {
clear:both;
background-color: #DEDECE;
width: 768px;
height:26px;
border-left: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
border-right: #A5A5A5 solid 1px;
}

#block a {
width: 90px;
text-decoration: none;
line-height: 26px;
display: block;
}

#block a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
}

#block span {
line-height: 25px;
}

<div id="block">
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page1</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page2</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page3</a><span>|</span>
<a href="test.html" class="pagelink">Page4</a>
</div>

Sat 01/07/06 at 09:12
Regular
I'm not familiar with the id thing you're using, but could you use a text-align=center property?

Jo
Thu 06/07/06 at 10:33
Regular
I couldnt get it to work :(

oh dear.
Thu 06/07/06 at 10:44
Regular
if anyone can help or need anymore information I'll do it, as I really need to fix this problem.
Thu 06/07/06 at 11:26
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Is the page in t'internet? Care to link to it if it is so we can see what's going on...?

I'm just not entirely sure what part you want centered, might be clearer just to see the page.
Thu 06/07/06 at 11:42
Regular
no it's not at the moment but you're right I should put it online so you get a better idea, okay I'll quickly put it up and post a link :) cheers
Thu 06/07/06 at 14:43
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Simpliest solution, wrap your links in a further div with a defined width. eg

#block div {
width:400px;
margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;
}

Another alternative would be to get rid of the block and float properties on the link and span tags, and then apply text-align:center to block. You could then apply padding-left and padding-right to your link tags to get your block effect.
Theres plenty of solutions, I just picked a couple that involved changing the least amount of code.
Thu 06/07/06 at 14:56
Regular
Yay it works, thanks Garin. I tried the first one and it does what I want. As you provided several solutions I'm okay using this one right? I mean I won't find it looking messed up on other browsers etc. I guess I should check. :/

Sorry I didnt post a link, my webhost is down and I couldnt log in to get my password and login. I really should write it down :(

Thanks again Garin, looks perfect.
Sat 05/08/06 at 15:29
Regular
#blog {
background: #F2F2F2;
width: 550px;
padding:5px;
text-align:left;
font-family: verdana;
font-size: 13px;
}

I'm having trouble making a space above and below this. I'f I'm to put one on top of the other and want to seperate them I would either use <br /> or <p></p>.

Works fine in IE, but not in FF.

Any help would be appreciated.

----

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with 2 columns I put above this blog code. (these two columns are in the left column of another set of columns, I'm not great with columns).

#menu-left {
width: 275px;
height: 175px;
background: #FFFFFF;
padding-right:10px;
}

#menu-right {
width: 263px;
height: 163px;
float:right;
padding:5px;
background: #FFFFFF;
border-left: #DDDDDD solid 1px;
border-right: #DDDDDD solid 1px;
border-bottom: #DDDDDD solid 1px;
border-top: #DDDDDD solid 1px;
}

Sometimes I wonder if my codding is all messed up because I'm using Dreamweaver 8. And the design view is really messed up but not sure if it's because I have the google search coding in there which breaks the CSS code in the design, but not when it's viewed on webpages.
Sat 05/08/06 at 15:31
Regular
also is there any way I can work online, it's annoying having to design webpages offline. My only worry is that I'll get search engines finding my pages and sending people over or caching pages while I'm still working on it. Anything I can do?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.