GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ONLINE FPS - we love em but can they make a good one"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/09/03 at 20:03
Regular
"anarchy is da way o"
there are lots of good multiplayer First Person Shooters out now but which is the best.
>my first FPS multiplayer game was DEUS EX MACHINA and it was ok but it got me hooked.
>then i went onto game like Battlefield 1942, Renegade, vietcong, medal of honour allied assault and of course halflife.
>MOHAA is now one of the oldest and still one of the best games for multiplayer and is well liked for its simplicity and it is still the third most played Mplayer FPS according to GAMESPY ARCADE. (i love it but dont play it much anymore)
>Half-life is a good game i never really played it but its ok. this IS the number 1 multiplayer game on gamespy arcade.(i think there are too many expansion packs to get now)
>BF 1942 is an awesome game with a good mix of everything i love it and it is number 2 according to gamespy. (i like the vehicles [most games are taking up the renegade style now of vehicles now] but this is generally a good game)
>C&C renegade is an excellent game that has lots of potential and is very fun i love it (small numbers of player or high pings are the problems here)
>Vietcong is a good tough game which take skill and practice it doesnt have that many players but we all love it really. (my favourite game. look out for me as SW-hellswolfman)
>aliens versus predator2 is a nice gruesome game with good elements and some cute little aliens and some big cudly guns i love it too (so what if im a strange man)

so where will online games take us next and can they ever blend the bets things of ww2, vietnam, outer space and modern anti terrorists units into one beautiful game..... NAH course they cnat but they can improve this lot

and of course jediknight3 comes out soon and i loved the previous ones (i didnt talk about them above cos i wasnt any good at them.

SO CAN THEY MAKE AN ONLINE GAME THAT WILL PASS MY TEST OF EXCELENCE [of course not unless they pay me]
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:29
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I also hate XBox. I used to like Microsoft beause their Offie programs are good, but now, they devote everything to XP, which is the Worst.OS.Ever!

It's a load of [insert insult here]

Why the ybothered, I don't know, but my respect for them has gone
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:32
Regular
"anarchy is da way o"
yeah and generally consoles r a rip off
u have to paymore for games
u cant get expansion packs u have to get a new game
if there is a technological breakthrough u hagve to wait for the next console
u cannot illegaly download music and games
and u have to put up with rubbish graphics through the TV some games have some good graphics but generally the TV isnt as good as a nice 24" moniter

cept maybe my 32" widescreen
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:34
Regular
"8==="
hellswolfman wrote:
> well buying any microsoft product is a waster of time.

Nice and ignorant.

> standardisation disalows personalization and provokes facism.

Standardisation allows for games to run better and prevents cheating. Personalisation is easy enough in games which allow it. As to the 'facism' comment may I refer you to my 'Nice and ignorant' comment above.
>
> and my pc xould outrun that lil x-box anyday and it only cost me 200
> so i shall now moch you. muahahahaha

Well if the Xbox handles 10 player games fine that's enough for me. Good luck with the upgrades. Perhaps I should be mocking you?
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:35
Regular
"anarchy is da way o"
see ya tomorow.

im going to watch a film and go to bed so c ya tomorrow (if the microsoft lawyers havent got u)
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:35
Regular
"8==="
Twain wrote:
> I also hate XBox. I used to like Microsoft beause their Offie programs
> are good, but now, they devote everything to XP, which is the
> Worst.OS.Ever!
>
> It's a load of [insert insult here]
>
> Why the ybothered, I don't know, but my respect for them has gone

So you hate Xbox because some PC programs suck? Makes sense. Not.
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:39
Regular
"8==="
hellswolfman wrote:
> yeah and generally consoles r a rip off

Hmm upgrades cost a pretty penny. How much does it cost to get a 17+ inch monitor compared to the same size TV screen?

> u have to paymore for games

Ooh quality.

> u cant get expansion packs u have to get a new game

No you download the expansions. You haven't a clue have you?

> if there is a technological breakthrough u hagve to wait for the next
> console

Hence standardisation, which keeps the playingfield level, much better.

> u cannot illegaly download music and games

Sorry I thought we were talking about online games?

> and u have to put up with rubbish graphics through the TV some games
> have some good graphics but generally the TV isnt as good as a nice
> 24" moniter

Nor are they as expensive and you can buy wires to connect Xbox to a PC monitor so I'm afraid they've got all bases covered there.
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:45
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
No, I generally hate XBox because it's pricey, and I don't know anything about it.
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:47
Regular
"8==="
Ok.

But a PC 'online gamer' calling Xbox 'pricey' is a little bit silly.
Thu 25/09/03 at 11:48
Regular
"A man with a stick"
No use arguing with hellswolfman, he's 12 so probably can't form a decent argument, and I think the reason FPS online game supposedly kick ass on X-Box Live, is because they're a relatively new type of game, and will be the first time some console gamers have ever played such games online.

The PC however, has had this type of game from the very beginning, so it takes allot to really stand out. For me though Battlefield 1942 rules supreme. Whereas in most online games you have to worry about campers, snipers, cheaters and annoying gits accusing you of hacking because they can't except the fact that they suck at playing, Battlefield is fun to the point where you just don't care about such trivial things.

Just get me onto a 64 player server and into a tank and I can enjoy myself for ages without worrying about my score or people accusing me of things, and that's what all online games should be like. Fun, not a chore to play.
Thu 25/09/03 at 18:37
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Hedfix wrote:
> Ok.
>
> But a PC 'online gamer' calling Xbox 'pricey' is a little bit silly.

I'm not an online gamer. I never play games online. My connetion would be too slow.

I prefer consoles, and by "pricey", I mean it was the most expensive of all three next-gen consoles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.