GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics or Gameplay"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/09/01 at 19:29
Regular
I know this has probably been discused before but i feel that this question will never be solved yet it is still nice to know what each generation of gamers likes in a game Graphics or Gameplay

The only rule i am making is that u can only chose one or another

I personaly take gameplay because you don't want a mind numingly boaring game unless its really cheap and/or has a good multi-player
Tue 18/09/01 at 16:00
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
definetly chips.
Tue 18/09/01 at 14:33
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Graphics or gameplay?

Daddy or Chips.....

:P
Tue 18/09/01 at 11:40
"High polygon count"
Gameplay has the edge, but - depending on the game genre - even the best gameplay is enhanced massively by better graphics.

Okay, on something like Tetris is makes no difference. But take the Gran Turismo series. The gameplay has been spot-on since the first game, but the graphical improvement through GT2 and up to GT3 has added a lot to the overall gaming experience.

Resident Evil is the same - the gameplay is excellent, but the more realisitc the graphics (well, as real as the zombies and creatures could ever be if they existed) the creepier the game becomes.

It doesn't always work though - ACE (Air Combat Emulator) on the Commodore 64 was massively addictive, while the graphics were relatively poor; F29 Retaliator on the Amiga looked far better, but suffered from a severe bug which ruined gameplay.

You can have a good game without good graphics, but a good game with good graphics take the while thing to a new level of enjoyment.
Tue 18/09/01 at 10:03
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
How can you Play Games without Game Play?
It's needed.
You can't play a game without some form of graphics either.
They are needed too.
So which is more important?
I enjoy games that have good gameplay and bad graphics e.g. -
Loads of SNES games (SF2, Mario Kart, Pilotwings),
Megadrive games (Streets of Rage),
Gameboy games (Tetris),
Classic arcade games (Donkey Kong).
I detest games that have good graphics and bad gameplay e.g. -
DVD / laser disk games (Dragons Lair etc.)

I prefer gameplay. Graphics are secondary. Gameplay stimulates your brain. I'd rather that, than sit staring at a 'real time generated tree' with my tongue hanging out and my brain turned off.
Good graphics are good combined with a good RPG with a good plot.
Mon 17/09/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Whatever!"
Graphics will always come second best for me but then again would Metal Gear Solid 2 create the same gaming atmosphere with second rate visuals??
Mon 17/09/01 at 21:56
Graphics sell a game. If you look at video footage and screenshots of a game and the graphics look like they were made by a five-year-old, then you wouldn't even think of renting it out let alone buying it. So to get people's interest in a game before it comes out, the graphics need to be good - or no-one will take notice.

So graphics are the most important thing when choosing a game in my opinion.
Mon 17/09/01 at 21:15
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
gameplay is needed more but graphics make a good game so i would say both.
Mon 17/09/01 at 20:54
Regular
Graphics with no gameplay? Isn`t that a film?

Gameplay with no graphics? Isn`t that a non-computer thing (e.g. tennis).

I`d go with the graphics then.

If you mean just games, then that confirms it even more.

It would be preferable to get a comprimise though. GT3 is a good example of both.
Mon 17/09/01 at 19:58
"period drama"
sorry, u can't pick both.

i only read the title.

once again, my deepest apologies
Mon 17/09/01 at 19:57
"period drama"
both
sheesh!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.