GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube thoughts"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/09/01 at 13:43
Regular
As you will know, I am a very proud PS2 owner.

Though I was slightly disappointed, I wasn't overly concerned about the Resident Evil series going to Gamecube. The deal is for 6 games. Four of those are already on PlayStation, meaning that it essentially only means two truly original games for the 'cube, although the rest may receive subtle gameplay updates. After that, the games are sure to be ported to other systems.

I wasn't concerned about playing 4 remakes of games that I had already played years ago. But then I looked at the screenshots etc. of the 'cube versions, and it looks fantastic.

I was always planning to get a Gamecube eventually (due to the Star Wars game and a couple of others), but after seeing this, I am *gestures with fingers* this close to pre-ordering a 'cube from SR.

Don't get me wrong - I am not 'turning away' from Sony. PS2 will still be my primary machine. There are far more games coming for that system that I am interested in, and I will continue to defend it against the occasional nonsense posted in these forums. But as I've always said, I have nothing against Nintendo and would buy a machine if there were enough games of interest to justify it. And it seems like this time around, there will be.

I still have some reservations about the Gamecube though. From what I've been reading, the opening day sales in Japan have been slow and fairly disappointing. With small queues and no mad rush as there has been for other systems in the past, it as if the Japanese gamers aren't particularly bothered by its arrival.

Based purely on what is only a first impression, I can't help but wonder if developers such as Capcom may regret pledging major franchises such as Resi to an unproven system, when they could make a killing (no pun intended) from sales on PS2.

If anyone I knew was asking for advice on which of the next-gen machines to purchase, I'd still have to recommend a PS2, as I personally truly believe it still offers the best variety of software. But I certainly would disuade them from a Gamecube.

So... on the basis of what I've said here... I will hold off on the pre-order to see how things develop. Reading back over what I've written, I realise that this sounds very negative, and may even sound like a thinly-veiled anti-Gamecube post, but I can assure you it isn't. There's plenty of time yet, and I will have one eventually, but these are genuine thoughts, opinions and concerns.

And one final thought... the 'cube is nowhere near as small as I envisioned it! I saw a photo on IGN with it next to a PS2 and Dreamcast, and it looks quite hefty!
Sat 15/09/01 at 01:16
Whenever's fine by me, you're best of ringing me in the morning as I'll be up early tomorrow
Sat 15/09/01 at 01:14
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Half ten my @rse!

I'll still be in bed! Whenever you get it - ring me. Or I'll ring you, whoever gets it first.

Shocky.
Sat 15/09/01 at 00:47
I would spell it Shocky if you where the correct gender for the spelling, so I thought that I would use the feminine spelling for your name as it's just right in your case!

:D

I might be round at about half 10 tomorrow Shocks, I have to sort out a birthday present for my Grandad first, but I'll be round straight after that.
Sat 15/09/01 at 00:45
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Doesn't matter, I'll be going to bed soon anyway. Remember the deal about tomorrow morning.

Shocky. I prefer it spelt: Shocky...looks better.
Sat 15/09/01 at 00:38
Shockie, I can't get on MSN at the moment, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, it just wont let me access it at the moment, it keeps getting stuck on the signing in process! If I get on you'll notice, OK!
Sat 15/09/01 at 00:35
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Ever since I laid my eyes on the Gamecube I have been permanently trapped in a lovely dream world. The console is all that I ever wanted it to be.

It's just a pure games-playing console - nothing more, nothing less. The console is dedicated to providing the ultimate entertainment system with gorgeous games that have been made easily by happy developers.

What's more is that Nintendo are behind it all. They are the most reliable games' developers in the world, in my opinion. They manage to come up with original ideas and tend to be using their tremendous inititive (sp?)

I will definately get a Gamecube, but perhaps from Australia instead. Cheaper, and they use the same system (PAL) it's wise to consider the prospects.

However, has Australia even got a release date, do any of you know?

Shocktrooper.
Sat 15/09/01 at 00:08
The Game wrote:
You're either for PlayStation 2 or Gamecube. No sitting on the fence.

Has the fence been covered in barbed wire or something??

Does the fence have those annoying sharp pointy bits at the top so when people are sitting on it the go "Ouch!"??

I'm proud to say that I love both Sony and Nintendo, and I am happy to say that I shall soon be the proud owner of both of these great consoles! Microsoft have so far not lived up to my expectations, but there's still plenty of time for Microsoft to impress me, and at the rate that Nintendo and Sony are going, it will take a while for the X-Box to impress me.
Sat 15/09/01 at 00:02
Regular
The Game wrote:
> You're either for PlayStation 2 or Gamecube. No sitting on the
> fence.

I used to be solid nintendo and used to diss sony for every little thing. But now I am hapy to live in both worlds. The PS2 aint sooo bad.
Fri 14/09/01 at 23:48
I am also a proud PS2 owner, and I like it very much. But, I am always lured to other consoles by other games.

For example, I am a little attracted to the Xbox because of Dead or Alive 3 which looks absolutely stunning. I have also heard rumours of a new Bruce Lee game as well, and as I am a great fan of Bruce Lee, this is certainly making the Xbox look interesting to me.

When it comes to the Gamecube, I have noticed some games that looks really good, such as Rogue Leader and Smash Brothers Mellee.

But, to be honest, it's the PS2 that has the more interesting games at the moment. Devil May Cry must get a mention here as I have just played the new demo, and it is absolutely stunning to say the least. There is also the likes of Tekken 4 and Virtue Fighter 4, aswell as the eagerly awaited Metal Gear Solid 2, and there are tonnes more.

What I now ask myself, is will the two new consoles offer enough to make people buy them. I mean, the Gamecube doesn't seem to be selling as well as planned, does it? Why, I don't know? And to be honest, I am not really seeing much of the Xbox at the moment. Of course, there is still time for all of this to change, so I will just have to see.

I am still standing by my PS2 (I have no choice as it is the only console out).
Fri 14/09/01 at 23:22
No doubt spoilt brats, or rich dudes will get them all. The easy way out, I say.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.