GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube thoughts"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/09/01 at 13:43
Regular
As you will know, I am a very proud PS2 owner.

Though I was slightly disappointed, I wasn't overly concerned about the Resident Evil series going to Gamecube. The deal is for 6 games. Four of those are already on PlayStation, meaning that it essentially only means two truly original games for the 'cube, although the rest may receive subtle gameplay updates. After that, the games are sure to be ported to other systems.

I wasn't concerned about playing 4 remakes of games that I had already played years ago. But then I looked at the screenshots etc. of the 'cube versions, and it looks fantastic.

I was always planning to get a Gamecube eventually (due to the Star Wars game and a couple of others), but after seeing this, I am *gestures with fingers* this close to pre-ordering a 'cube from SR.

Don't get me wrong - I am not 'turning away' from Sony. PS2 will still be my primary machine. There are far more games coming for that system that I am interested in, and I will continue to defend it against the occasional nonsense posted in these forums. But as I've always said, I have nothing against Nintendo and would buy a machine if there were enough games of interest to justify it. And it seems like this time around, there will be.

I still have some reservations about the Gamecube though. From what I've been reading, the opening day sales in Japan have been slow and fairly disappointing. With small queues and no mad rush as there has been for other systems in the past, it as if the Japanese gamers aren't particularly bothered by its arrival.

Based purely on what is only a first impression, I can't help but wonder if developers such as Capcom may regret pledging major franchises such as Resi to an unproven system, when they could make a killing (no pun intended) from sales on PS2.

If anyone I knew was asking for advice on which of the next-gen machines to purchase, I'd still have to recommend a PS2, as I personally truly believe it still offers the best variety of software. But I certainly would disuade them from a Gamecube.

So... on the basis of what I've said here... I will hold off on the pre-order to see how things develop. Reading back over what I've written, I realise that this sounds very negative, and may even sound like a thinly-veiled anti-Gamecube post, but I can assure you it isn't. There's plenty of time yet, and I will have one eventually, but these are genuine thoughts, opinions and concerns.

And one final thought... the 'cube is nowhere near as small as I envisioned it! I saw a photo on IGN with it next to a PS2 and Dreamcast, and it looks quite hefty!
Sun 16/09/01 at 19:07
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> As you will know, I am a very proud PS2 owner.

Though I was
> slightly disappointed, I wasn't overly concerned about the Resident
> Evil series going to Gamecube. The deal is for 6 games. Four of
> those are already on PlayStation, meaning that it essentially only
> means two truly original games for the 'cube, although the rest may
> receive subtle gameplay updates. After that, the games are sure to
> be ported to other systems.

According to Capcom its the entire next gen series GC only, also 1,2,3, plays sooo much better with looks, sound and most of all gameplay like a new set of games

I wasn't concerned about playing 4
> remakes of games that I had already played years ago. But then I
> looked at the screenshots etc. of the 'cube versions, and it looks
> fantastic.

I was always planning to get a Gamecube eventually
> (due to the Star Wars game and a couple of others), but after seeing
> this, I am *gestures with fingers* this close to pre-ordering a
> 'cube from SR.

Don't get me wrong - I am not 'turning away' from
> Sony. PS2 will still be my primary machine. There are far more
> games coming for that system that I am interested in, and I will
> continue to defend it against the occasional nonsense posted in
> these forums. But as I've always said, I have nothing against
> Nintendo and would buy a machine if there were enough games of
> interest to justify it. And it seems like this time around, there
> will be.

usual nonsense aka this, its opinions all sony fans go Nintendo talk nonesense

I still have some reservations about the Gamecube
> though. From what I've been reading, the opening day sales in Japan
> have been slow and fairly disappointing. With small queues and no
> mad rush as there has been for other systems in the past, it as if
> the Japanese gamers aren't particularly bothered by its
> arrival.

Wrong there was a mad rush but due to hte recession in Japan it didnt sell as well as hoped.

Based purely on what is only a first impression, I can't
> help but wonder if developers such as Capcom may regret pledging
> major franchises such as Resi to an unproven system, when they could
> make a killing (no pun intended) from sales on PS2.

Right now Capcom did it probably because the big N gave them Mickey Mous eand temporaraly Zelda.

If anyone I
> knew was asking for advice on which of the next-gen machines to
> purchase, I'd still have to recommend a PS2, as I personally truly
> believe it still offers the best variety of software. But I
> certainly would disuade them from a Gamecube.

Variety not good on Gamecube you are joking, right?

So... on the basis
> of what I've said here... I will hold off on the pre-order to see
> how things develop. Reading back over what I've written, I realise
> that this sounds very negative, and may even sound like a
> thinly-veiled anti-Gamecube post, but I can assure you it isn't.
> There's plenty of time yet, and I will have one eventually, but
> these are genuine thoughts, opinions and concerns.

Right ant Gamecube it is you have simply tried to make Capcoms change to the GC less of a big deal well it is milllions of die ahrd RE fans will now be flocking to the GC.

And one final
> thought... the 'cube is nowhere near as small as I envisioned it! I
> saw a photo on IGN with it next to a PS2 and Dreamcast, and it looks
> quite hefty!

get 10 CD cases stack em up and there you go.
Sun 16/09/01 at 09:21
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
slik wrote:
> Kingdom of the blind? I think Meka thinks he's Turok in the lair of
> the blind ones!
*slik drags Meka back to his padded cell so that
> he can be alone with his N64 and a copy of Turok 2.* I think thats
> elaborated enougth!
slik ~_~

Yeah, right so. We're sending MD to the "special" place with those bouncy cells Meka like to play with :D
Sun 16/09/01 at 09:16
Regular
"DS..."
Kingdom of the blind? I think Meka thinks he's Turok in the lair of the blind ones!
*slik drags Meka back to his padded cell so that he can be alone with his N64 and a copy of Turok 2.* I think thats elaborated enougth!
slik ~_~
Sun 16/09/01 at 09:13
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
slik wrote:
> and where the Tiger crouches, the dragon is hidden... hmmm did that
> make sense Meka?
slik ~_~

Yeah, that made sense.
Sun 16/09/01 at 09:12
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> shaneo wrote:
> Hey Meka, why is everyone saying that you are
> going to win the EEGAD
> compo?

Because in the kingdom of the
> blind, the one eyed man is king.

Elaborate.
Sun 16/09/01 at 09:11
Regular
"DS..."
and where the Tiger crouches, the dragon is hidden... hmmm did that make sense Meka?
slik ~_~
Sun 16/09/01 at 08:51
Regular
"not dead"
shaneo wrote:
> Hey Meka, why is everyone saying that you are going to win the EEGAD
> compo?

Because in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
Sun 16/09/01 at 08:43
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Hey Meka, why is everyone saying that you are going to win the EEGAD compo?
Sun 16/09/01 at 08:40
Regular
"not dead"
Wookiee, own both? Who are you, Switzerland? ;-)

See folks, it ain't a war.

If I had unlimited cash I'd buy every platform that had a game on it I wanted to play, and anyone that says that they would never want any games on other consoles is severely blinkered.

Mind you, I haven't seen much to attract me to the Xbox yet, but I'm sure if I looked real hard I'd find at least one game I'd want.

The news about the Resident Evil games is certainly quite surprising, and will be a blow for those that slate the GAMECUBE in terms of only kiddie games, and no third party support. Capcom are a BIG player when it comes to 3rd parties, and their decision will no doubt influence many other smaller third party developers.

The timing of the announcement was pretty smart too, the day before the launch! BTW, I've yet to hear any reports of it selling poorly, initial figures were of around 300000 units sold in the first couple of hours, or so, and given that many will await the titles they really want before buying the console, it can't be any worse than Nintendo expected.

I expect the US launch to be a little more noticeable, given the quantity of titles released, there seems to be something to appeal to everyone, but we'll see.
Sat 15/09/01 at 08:20
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Shocktrooper wrote:
> Half ten my @rse!

I'll still be in bed! Whenever you get it -
> ring me. Or I'll ring you, whoever gets it first.

Shocky.

Damn! You get up late Shocky. Then again, I'm an early bird. Been awake for an hour and a half :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.