GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony PSX Info (you'd better start saving)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/10/03 at 15:20
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Check out the prices, imagine what it will be once we get the "inflate prices for Europe" treatment

Tuesday, 7th October 2003

Now that the doors have opened at the Japanese CEATEC consumer electronics show, Sony have revealed fresh information about their new entertainment hub, the Sony PSX.

The device will come in two flavours; the DESR-5000, which is fitted with a 160GB hard drive, and the DESR-7000, which has 250GB. Originally, it was thought that the machine would be fitted with a slightly less roomy 120GB drive.

The 160GB version, which has enough capacity to store 33 hours of video at the highest setting, or over 200 hours at the lowest setting, will cost 79,800 yen (around £430). The larger 250GB version will cost 99,800 yen (approx. £540).

As well as having the choice of hard drive, it looks as though consumers will also be able to pick their favourite colour for the unit. In addition to the white unit that we've already fallen into techno-lust with, Sony also featured very fetching blue, yellow and red PSX's on their CEATEC stand. Whether these are limited edition versions of the machine, or will be made widely available remains to be seen.

Beyond confirmation that the unit is expected to go on sale in Japan before the end of the year, Sony gave no new information regarding release dates. A European release is expected in early 2004, but there has still been no official word from Sony.
Sat 18/10/03 at 23:04
Regular
"the great hazel"
yeah but you aint gonna pay all that for a gaming machine are you
Fri 17/10/03 at 12:42
"Sony/PS2/Best"
Darwock wrote:
> Leeds, I was talking to IB.
>
> I still say this machine isn't aimed at games players, I don't know
> why you're all trying to say you don't want it, it doesn't matter!

HUH? I want it, and I don't care how much it is.
Fri 17/10/03 at 11:42
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Leeds, I was talking to IB.

I still say this machine isn't aimed at games players, I don't know why you're all trying to say you don't want it, it doesn't matter!
Thu 16/10/03 at 21:33
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I can't really see the point myself to be honest.

I hardly ever record things off TV, and I can just use a CD player/my personal MP3 player to play music.

PS2 plays games, and is a lot cheaper. There we go.
Thu 16/10/03 at 20:36
"Sony/PS2/Best"
Darwock wrote:
> Sony told you that did they?
>

Well, not in so many ways, I got it from OPSM2
Thu 16/10/03 at 10:20
"Darkness, always"
Can't think of a use for it, myself.
Thu 16/10/03 at 09:52
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Sony told you that did they?

As for the comment about HDTV being for housewives, I can't imagine anyone who would be LESS interested. My mate has HDTV and it's remarkable.. it's definitely aimed at the high end of the AV market.
Thu 16/10/03 at 09:32
"Darkness, always"
Leeds_United_4ever wrote:
> No, it's true.

Heh, actually, it's just callde the PSX because it sounds good. Typical PR releases have taken advantage of the name to say that the X represents the apparently "extreme" technology (where?) that the box uses, and it has been *noted* that the technology is a crossover between the gaming market and the overall home entertainment "all-in-one" system. Which both the PS2 and XBOX are anyway.
Thu 16/10/03 at 09:30
"Darkness, always"
Leeds_United_4ever wrote:
> It will be quite popular, mainly becaues it does so much.

If it's popular, it will be because it's a Sony product, and brand loyalty will be the main sales factor. It does so much? What does it do that's so great? Surely most people who want a set-top box already have one, anyone who wants a DVD and/or a PS2 already has one, and as for HDTV, it's typically only a useful tool for housewives who have programme clashes during daytime TV.

> Then won't everyone have a PSX?

What does that matter? *I* don't want one, I don;t see the point in them at all, and I will never, ever own one. If I get a PS2, it's to take advantage of the plethora of budget games, among which there are 4-5 decent games, and what I'm saying is that if the introduction into the market of the PSX reduces the time it takes me to take advantage of that, then fair enough.
Wed 15/10/03 at 20:01
"Sony/PS2/Best"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> new model? you mean new design?
>
> From what I can see, it's going to have a limited audience. That
> said, it's a Playstation product, and will doubtless sell en mass
> anyway.

It will be quite popular, mainly becaues it does so much.

> Hopefully this will force down the price of a PS2 standalone unit,
> decreasing the time between now and when they cost £50, at
> which point I will buy one.

Then won't everyone have a PSX?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.