GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RAW 2 first impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'WWE Raw 2'.
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:30
Regular
Slow, unresponsive and boring. It feels like a chore to play and it makes me glad that I have a PS2 with Smackdown 4 and the possibility of Smackdown 5. It actually feels slower than the first despite what reviews say. Graphically its gorgeous, one of the most stunning games to date, fantastic character models and a real life like feel to them.

*Struggles to compliment the game outside of the visuals*

I am completely with Sav on this one, its utter guff to be honest and I am glad its just a rental as I would be kicking myself having paid £30 for this! A few problems I have encountered so far:

1. Turned Xbox on to receive damaged disc error despite it being completely free of anything. Did it two more times and it finally worked.

2. Setting up Table to put opponent through is streesful and completely disatisfying. Tried and tried to put opponent through using Rock Bottom and when I lined it up and did it the table didn't break. The only let down with the tables in Smackdown is that you can only put them through it with 4 moves and the opponent has to be on the table, I was under the impression that in RAW 2 you could do any move and so far I have managed to put them through using a boring fishermans suplex.

*YAWN*

3. Trying to get tables etc from under the ring is a nightmare, you press the white button and nothing happens. Keep trying and within 5 minutes you might have some luck.

4. Trying to get weapons, tables etc into the ring from the outside. Once again an absolute nightmare. Pressing black makes him drop it and even though the guides say you need to be in the middle of the ring it still doesn't work.

5. Shockingly slow game engine, very unresponsive and very annoying.

6. Poor layout of controls, whoever laid the control shceme out should be shot.

There are more problems with the game than I have noted down but I will list them as they arrive. So far absolutley gutted.

Avoid!
Wed 08/10/03 at 23:03
Regular
"8==="
Hedfix wrote:
> Why Lord wrote:
> Stuff this, I'm off to play this game. Ali, I'll leave you to your
> own
> devices, because jim-hat's got a season to begin.
>
> Good idea. I'm off to defend my WWE Championship

This must be done.

*Goes off for another RAW 2 marathon*
Wed 08/10/03 at 23:09
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> *Goes off for another RAW 2 marathon*

Just one match eh? I suppose you need some sleep in between matches.
Wed 08/10/03 at 23:13
Regular
What makes me laugh is that you think I am writing this to spite others. I have said before, I wanted this to be a kick ass game but its not. Deny it all you want but its plain to see they haven't taken on board all the comments made from the first. I have read 5 negative reviews for every 1 positive review and for the first time I actually agree with all of the negative comments about a particular game.

Nice modes, loads to choose from but all this is spoiled by bad glitches and a bad game engine which as they say "is nothing on No Mercy apart from the fact that it borrows ideas".
Wed 08/10/03 at 23:42
Regular
Everyone, do yourselves a favour. Go buy Wrestlemania 19. It's a mix between Raw and Smackdown and it works very well. It's the closest thing to No Mercy, to date IMO. The best way to describe W19 is "standard graphics, awesome gameplay".

Where to start ......

The create-a-wrestler is the most advanced character creation system seen in any game, any format, any everything. You can choose the colour, the logo's, where the logo's placed and the size of the logo's on you're clothes. Theres many more moves to choose from and plenty of room to use them. You can have upto 8 specials. On No Mercy, left and right covered the same move, however W19 left and right are each a different move. You can also have a move that chucks people off stuff. I have mine set to chokeslam them and chokeslamming people of the Hell in the Cell is very fun indeed. Creating an Intro is just amazing. You can choose the camera angles, the fireworks, the lighting and the way your wrestler acts.

Random points ......

- If you go upto someone with a weapon in your hand and press A it'll do a special move. You drop a chair then DDT them onto it. You strangle them with poles and you slam them onto the ladders. And with a table, you set it up, slam their head into the table and place them ontop which saves an awful lot of hastle.

- The revenge mode is rather fun. Eliminating people by chucking them from tops of construction sites is very amusing. Although it has to be said, the storyline is very dodgy to say the least.

- Tables explode for some reason, but looks good all the same.

- The speed is just right and the wrestlers often stay down making it realistic, unlike Smackdown.

- The AI is rather crappy as the characters get stuck alot. That's why theres this thing known as mate's.

- The shopzone is back. At last theres a reason to do the single player mode again.

That's all I can think of rite about now.

P.s. You'll probably see this in the Ninty forum soon aswell.
Thu 09/10/03 at 00:12
Regular
Was thinking that but I am hanging on for Smackdown 5.

One question about it though, can you perform any move through a table or just a small set of ballax moves?
Thu 09/10/03 at 00:53
Regular
"8==="
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
>
> Just one match eh? I suppose you need some sleep in between matches.

So I need the sleep in between replying to threads created by idiots who can't appreciate a good game when they see one.

You've hardly played No Mercy, your view of wrestling games is very skewed.
Reviews of wrestling games have had a history of being laughable, I remember when WCW/NWO Revenge was panned and the next few months the magazine had to change their entire magazines opinion of wrestling games as they'd clearly mis-understood and received a lot of letters contradicting their reviews.

Reviews are generally one person's opinion. I always pay attention to the alternative argument for a game that some magazines and IGN put at the end of their reviews - this is where you can learn a lot.

Smackdown is seen as a great game by the countless fools who just about get enough thought out of their two braincells to actually get down to Woolworths and mumble p-p-p-la-yyy-sss-ta-ta-ta-shion to a less than sympathetic staff member.
Thu 09/10/03 at 00:57
Regular
"8==="
Wreslemania 19 has always been a possibile purchase. If I think I will get more enjoyment out of it than Freedom Fighters then I will have it by the middle of next week.
Thu 09/10/03 at 00:59
Regular
"8==="
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> What makes me laugh is that you think I am writing this to spite
> others.

1. Don't put word in my mouth.

2. This thread is supposedly about "First Impressions" yet you've already written off the game.

Enjoy Smackdown. :P
Thu 09/10/03 at 01:04
Regular
Now you are making yourslef look like a d*ck. RAW 2 is a terrible game which is jus**t a plain rip of the firs**t RAW which borrowed from all the poor wres**tling games made before it. Its a dire game although I should have expected this response from someone who raves about Whacked and similar s**tyle games...

*Sniggers*

I bet you haven't even played Smackdown 4 or a PS2 for that matter. If the bes**t wres**tling game is on the PS2 then I will praise it as I would if it was on the Xbox.

RAW 2 isn't a decent game, its one of the wors**t which I have played this year and this is despite approaching it with a positive attitude. Oh and seeing as though you are breaking a blood vessel over a below average game I will explain the marathon joke...

Hell in a Cell I was outside with Goldberg and I ran at Undertaker trying to perform sphere (yes outside of the ring even though the s**tupid kn*bs who developed the game have s**topped players from going up the ramp) but I missed him. For a minute I thought it was a game with a decent engine and I was thinking "sh*t he is going to make me pay for that". About 7 seconds later (the time it took him to move over to me from about 1 meter away) he went to grapple me (the grapples are hilariously slow) and he missed which took another 7 seconds for him to recover. It was so poor I burs**t out laughing.

Laugh is all you can do at a game that plays this bad. Taking it seriously would take someone who doesn't mind playing average to poor games.
Thu 09/10/03 at 01:06
Regular
Smackdown 4 is an infinitely more enjoyable game, I seriously doubt you have played either 3 or 4 and the latter is considerably different from other Smackdown games.

Still, stick with the trend of all ignorant gamers and just critisise anything that isn't on a particuar platform. That way you can justify disasterous games like RAW 2. Its nice to know I'm not alone though, talked to a mate about 1 hour a go and he bought it and took it back within the same day.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.