GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RAW 2 first impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'WWE Raw 2'.
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:30
Regular
Slow, unresponsive and boring. It feels like a chore to play and it makes me glad that I have a PS2 with Smackdown 4 and the possibility of Smackdown 5. It actually feels slower than the first despite what reviews say. Graphically its gorgeous, one of the most stunning games to date, fantastic character models and a real life like feel to them.

*Struggles to compliment the game outside of the visuals*

I am completely with Sav on this one, its utter guff to be honest and I am glad its just a rental as I would be kicking myself having paid £30 for this! A few problems I have encountered so far:

1. Turned Xbox on to receive damaged disc error despite it being completely free of anything. Did it two more times and it finally worked.

2. Setting up Table to put opponent through is streesful and completely disatisfying. Tried and tried to put opponent through using Rock Bottom and when I lined it up and did it the table didn't break. The only let down with the tables in Smackdown is that you can only put them through it with 4 moves and the opponent has to be on the table, I was under the impression that in RAW 2 you could do any move and so far I have managed to put them through using a boring fishermans suplex.

*YAWN*

3. Trying to get tables etc from under the ring is a nightmare, you press the white button and nothing happens. Keep trying and within 5 minutes you might have some luck.

4. Trying to get weapons, tables etc into the ring from the outside. Once again an absolute nightmare. Pressing black makes him drop it and even though the guides say you need to be in the middle of the ring it still doesn't work.

5. Shockingly slow game engine, very unresponsive and very annoying.

6. Poor layout of controls, whoever laid the control shceme out should be shot.

There are more problems with the game than I have noted down but I will list them as they arrive. So far absolutley gutted.

Avoid!
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:47
Regular
"Remember me?"
How the WWE can be considered a sport when every match is choreographed and (poorly) acted out is beyond me.
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:49
Regular
Sport is about pitting your body to a decent level. WWE is demanding in a massive way and although choreographed it must take a hell of a lot out of them in big battles.
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:51
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Stuff this, I'm off to play this game. Ali, I'll leave you to your own devices, because jim-hat's got a season to begin. I can't wait for the ULTIMATE OMFG WTF genius, 'quite obviously better than Raw 2' - Smackdown 5 either, I also have played the beta edition, except it was gold plated and had a different selection of wrestlers, ultimate.
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:52
Regular
"Remember me?"
It's just acting though.

I mean, I'm no sports fan, but I can understand that in sports like football, rugby, hockey and virtually every other sport ever concieved it's actually a test of peoples' abilities. Wrestling is just 2 or more greased up men hugging and slapping each other around a bit; all of which is choreographed move for move. It's not like there's even any point to any of it. If a football team wins a cup, it's because they've trained hard and used their superior football prowess to win, not because they've been paid to choreograph a football season and build up rivalries that no one should give a damn about because they're not even real.

Wrestling is just one big waste of time, effort and money.
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:53
Regular
"That's right!"
No Mercy = still the best wrestling game ever made. I recently dug my 64 out, admittidly to re-play Goldeneye, but NM was in the console so I played that as well, and it's still as great as I remember it. Still superior is almost every way to SmackDown.
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:56
Regular
"8==="
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I liked RAW because I could see its potential in which the second
> would take and use it to kill off any competition. RAW was
> forgiveable as THQ themselves admitted the first was lacking modes
> here and there and the overall engine was sluggish and almost
> unforgiveable at times.

RAW's engine made the game. I was actually happy to play the modes that were there, it was like the new version of WCW vs NWO on the N64. At the end of the day it was a good start and a nice refined engine.

>
> RAW 2 though is a disaster, not a complete disaster but a massive
> blow to the series in my opinion. All the great things they promised
> have been completely missed out and it feels like a quick cash in.

Taken from elsewhere:

As sequels go this is good, very good. Plenty of matches, plenty of customisation, more moves than No Mercy, good collision detection (although they've toned it down so you don't hit your team-mates quite as much as in the original RAW or get your moves stopped mid-move). I like the career mode but stories would be a nice option, however if they the stories like the ones in No Mercy it wouldn't take long to go through all the possible outcomes - I actually prefer the season mode as it is now.

I wouldn't call this game a 'rush job' at all there's plenty of new things and expanded modes, they've taken away the stamina meter (which works considering the route they've taken), improved the controls (Now 'pin', 'showoff/taunt' and 'pick up weapon' are all assigned different buttons and not the same one), re-made the items system, introduced more characters, put in a lot of new matches, expanded the CAW mode, put in all the belts and introduced a fun system of stuff to do backstage.

> The engine is slow, unforgiveably slow to the point of frustration at
> times.

You like Smackdown, I mean you actually LIKE Smackdown. I find Smackdown's engine to be the point of frustration I have with that particular game.

The potential of RAW has been improved upon in such a small
> way that aside from the obvious game modes and graphical update there
> is hardly anything to use to seperate the 2 games.

See above. Oh and repeat a few: Backstage strategy, belts, more matches, a proper pecking order implemented into the season mode etc etc.
>
> Smackdown 4 is fantastic, fast gameplay,

Arcadey. If I wanted that I'd go and buy Soul Calibur 2 etc.

realistic animations for the
> moves,

Like Raw 2.

a season mode which actually co-incides with the current WWE
> structure from the last 3 years,

Since No Mercy I've gone off story modes, I like the way RAW 2 gives you complete freedom in your actions withuot confining you to a story mode. Story modes get old quickly.

more games modes (yes RAW 2 has a
> nice selection but Smackdown 4 actually offers a wider range of
> matches) and an infinitley better game engine which is going to be
> improved upon in Smackdown 5.

The arcadey engine was beaten by No Mecy a couple of years back. Now they've got the hype flogging countless Smackdown games to those who simply want to play some daft beat em up/wrestler hybrid. Smackdown is a half of a reasonable fighter chucked togeather with an attempt to make a wrestling engine. Like I said No Mercy trumped it a while back.

RAW 2 seriously doesn't stand a chance
> as Smackdown 5 is going bette it from a gameplay point of view and
> although the visuals from the first RAW helped to carry it through at
> the time they don't stand a cat in hells chance of making up for it
> this time around.

Ah, I refer you back to the point I made about 'hype' and Sfone's earlier comment.
>
> Started a bit of the season mode and 2 matches in I turned it off in
> disgust. Went to call out a wrestler and instead the announcer did
> it.

That's funny I haven't seen this happen with my copy.

In Smackdown 4 the character who you are playing goes into the
> ring with a microphone and calls them out. Sometimes they come out
> and talk, sometimes they come running into the ring and TKO you and
> sometimes they will ignor you and use it to interfere in an important
> match where they will actually make a DIFFERENCE.

Unfortunately you have to struggle with a poor excuse of an engine once the match actually starts.

Yes thats right for
> those who don't know, the idiots forgot a massive glitch in the game
> (which appears in ALL version of RAW 2) where the person who you
> supposedly are against suddenly turns around and beats up your
> opponent instead. Fantastic realism, just fantastic...

Interfering on your enemies opponent? Happens all the time in WWE. Now the referees are lax with the DQ's but I've only seen my enemies do this once I'd reached '100 popularity' I think this may have something to do with this as I keep getting the 'respect' cutscene along with it.
>
> The list goes on and on and there is nothing outside of the visuals
> that I can find to say that is of a positive nature.

You like Smackdown this is more of a 'No mercy' game.

If you want to
> chuck around your money on guff games like this then thats your
> problem,

Shut up you ignorant fool. That's the only response that comment needs. I enjoy the game, it's not guff. It's better than the retard-friendly excuse for a game you call Smackdown.

I will wait for the ultimate WWE game in the form of
> Smackdown 5 when it is released later this year. There is even an
> Elimination Chamber match and reportedly an Inferno match! Fast,
> fluid gameplay with very few glitches and an awesome season mode
> where you can actually walk around the arena and surrounding areas
> yourself doing all the things which RAW 2 does in a boring automatic
> fashion.

Boring and automatic? Nope.

I think 'releaee later this year' dismisses your points here entirely.
>
> There isn't a single person on here who wanted this game as much as I
> did.

Trust me, I wanted it more. A 4 player story mode without a crappy excuse for an engine was always something I've wanted in a wrestling game. smakcdown was absolute crud (even though I bought a PS1 in an attempt ot get a good 4 player career mode going), Attitude and it's predecessor weren't much better and now I finally have RAW 2 which has a decent engine based on re-creating the spectacle of wrestling without reducing it to pap.

I did numerous post for the game and was greatly looking forward
> to it. Instead I gutted that they have done sweet FA to make it play
> better.

See above. And the new button layout IS better.

Deny it all you want and try to justify your purchase of RAW
> 2, I hope you enjoy it I really do a there is nothing worse than
> renting a pile of toss and then realising your mistake when its too
> late to make a difference.

Haven't had that lately. *Thinks back* hmmm last awful games I got...

Oh yes Rogue Leader, but I swapped 1 game for 4 and Rogue Leader was one of those 4 so I was hardly gutted.

I am just grateful that I got it free when
> I rented Phone Booth from Blockbuster earlier today, that way I can
> take it back with a smile knowing that the ultimate version is to
> come in the form of Smackdown 5.

'Knowing...'. 'nuff said.
>
> RAW - I put up with hoping for improvements.
>
> RAW 2 - I will not put up with as they have had the time to make a
> huge difference to the gameplay, instead they left it with very
> little changes.

See above.
>
> RAW 3 - They don't have my back up for this one or many others after
> this game.

Good. You can't appreciate it anyway.
>
> Disappointed for myself. Disgusted with the development and overall
> product.

I'm dissapointed you actually find Smackdown a good game and that you've only played a little of No Mercy.

Oh well.
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:56
Regular
"That's right!"
A mate ordered NM for me (along with his copy) before it came out, but they kept delaying the order. We had no idea why, then we found out about the bug.

The copies we got were the glitch free second batch (which was why it took so long for them to arrive) but they took the blood out of those versions... Bah.
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:59
Regular
"8==="
Why Lord wrote:
> Stuff this, I'm off to play this game. Ali, I'll leave you to your own
> devices, because jim-hat's got a season to begin.

Good idea. I'm off to defend my WWE Championship

I can't wait for
> the ULTIMATE OMFG WTF genius, 'quite obviously better than Raw 2' -
> Smackdown 5 either, I also have played the beta edition, except it
> was gold plated and had a different selection of wrestlers, ultimate.

ROFL :D
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:59
Regular
This isn't a post about how others can't enjoy the game its about how I - someone who was looking forward to this in a huge way - fealt disappointed after realising that little had been done to the core part of the game.

Jim-hat, it was nothing to do with silly rosters in Smackdown 5 it was the fact that they had made up for a lot of collision problems in Smackdown 4 and smoothed the engine over even further. It was so fluid and smooth to play, most of all it was fun and didn't feel like a battle between me and the game to see who hit something first, my character hit my opponent or me hitting myself in the head.

As I said, I was REALLY looking forward to this one but I can't defend the awful gameplay system.
Wed 08/10/03 at 23:03
Regular
"8==="
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> As I said, I was REALLY looking forward to this one but I can't
> defend the awful gameplay system.

Well try to defend Smackdown 5's mechanics a little bit at least!

Jeese. :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.