GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RAW 2 first impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'WWE Raw 2'.
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:30
Regular
Slow, unresponsive and boring. It feels like a chore to play and it makes me glad that I have a PS2 with Smackdown 4 and the possibility of Smackdown 5. It actually feels slower than the first despite what reviews say. Graphically its gorgeous, one of the most stunning games to date, fantastic character models and a real life like feel to them.

*Struggles to compliment the game outside of the visuals*

I am completely with Sav on this one, its utter guff to be honest and I am glad its just a rental as I would be kicking myself having paid £30 for this! A few problems I have encountered so far:

1. Turned Xbox on to receive damaged disc error despite it being completely free of anything. Did it two more times and it finally worked.

2. Setting up Table to put opponent through is streesful and completely disatisfying. Tried and tried to put opponent through using Rock Bottom and when I lined it up and did it the table didn't break. The only let down with the tables in Smackdown is that you can only put them through it with 4 moves and the opponent has to be on the table, I was under the impression that in RAW 2 you could do any move and so far I have managed to put them through using a boring fishermans suplex.

*YAWN*

3. Trying to get tables etc from under the ring is a nightmare, you press the white button and nothing happens. Keep trying and within 5 minutes you might have some luck.

4. Trying to get weapons, tables etc into the ring from the outside. Once again an absolute nightmare. Pressing black makes him drop it and even though the guides say you need to be in the middle of the ring it still doesn't work.

5. Shockingly slow game engine, very unresponsive and very annoying.

6. Poor layout of controls, whoever laid the control shceme out should be shot.

There are more problems with the game than I have noted down but I will list them as they arrive. So far absolutley gutted.

Avoid!
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:30
Regular
Slow, unresponsive and boring. It feels like a chore to play and it makes me glad that I have a PS2 with Smackdown 4 and the possibility of Smackdown 5. It actually feels slower than the first despite what reviews say. Graphically its gorgeous, one of the most stunning games to date, fantastic character models and a real life like feel to them.

*Struggles to compliment the game outside of the visuals*

I am completely with Sav on this one, its utter guff to be honest and I am glad its just a rental as I would be kicking myself having paid £30 for this! A few problems I have encountered so far:

1. Turned Xbox on to receive damaged disc error despite it being completely free of anything. Did it two more times and it finally worked.

2. Setting up Table to put opponent through is streesful and completely disatisfying. Tried and tried to put opponent through using Rock Bottom and when I lined it up and did it the table didn't break. The only let down with the tables in Smackdown is that you can only put them through it with 4 moves and the opponent has to be on the table, I was under the impression that in RAW 2 you could do any move and so far I have managed to put them through using a boring fishermans suplex.

*YAWN*

3. Trying to get tables etc from under the ring is a nightmare, you press the white button and nothing happens. Keep trying and within 5 minutes you might have some luck.

4. Trying to get weapons, tables etc into the ring from the outside. Once again an absolute nightmare. Pressing black makes him drop it and even though the guides say you need to be in the middle of the ring it still doesn't work.

5. Shockingly slow game engine, very unresponsive and very annoying.

6. Poor layout of controls, whoever laid the control shceme out should be shot.

There are more problems with the game than I have noted down but I will list them as they arrive. So far absolutley gutted.

Avoid!
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:55
Regular
"Touched!"
Well said, the graphics are the only half decent aspect of the game, which is why i took it back!
Wed 08/10/03 at 17:25
Regular
"Whatever!"
Dont think Ill bother with it now - Really disappointed! Will have to wait for Smackdown 5 instead
Wed 08/10/03 at 18:07
Regular
I am VERY disappointed. I had extremely high hopes for RAW 2. I will wait and get Smackdown 5 which looks excellent and will ultimately play in a similar fashion. I know what I will get when I buy a Smackdown game however with the RAW series unless they seriously gut the engine and start from scratch it will continue on a downward spiral.
Wed 08/10/03 at 20:44
Regular
"8==="
Ever played No Mercy Ali?
Wed 08/10/03 at 21:36
Regular
Very little of it.
Wed 08/10/03 at 21:41
Regular
"QPR 1974"
That explains why you like Smackdown! then.
Wed 08/10/03 at 21:57
Regular
"8==="
RAW 2 is the natural successor to No Mercy. From what I've played of the Smackdown games I'd say the RAW series is more realistic.

Admittedly there are a few problems with RAW 2 but it still beats the hell out of playing a Smackdown game.

It's slow in that it's actually trying to re-create the No Mercy way of doing things which relies more on strategy, timing and giving you a decent chance to plan your next move.

It's funny that you liked RAW and yet dislike RAW 2 as RAW 2 really is an extension of RAW. Personally, as I've explained elsewhere, I find the controls better this time around as there aren't so many actions assigned to the B button.

And the strategy element kicks ass!
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:14
Regular
I liked RAW because I could see its potential in which the second would take and use it to kill off any competition. RAW was forgiveable as THQ themselves admitted the first was lacking modes here and there and the overall engine was sluggish and almost unforgiveable at times.

RAW 2 though is a disaster, not a complete disaster but a massive blow to the series in my opinion. All the great things they promised have been completely missed out and it feels like a quick cash in. The engine is slow, unforgiveably slow to the point of frustration at times. The potential of RAW has been improved upon in such a small way that aside from the obvious game modes and graphical update there is hardly anything to use to seperate the 2 games.

Smackdown 4 is fantastic, fast gameplay, realistic animations for the moves, a season mode which actually co-incides with the current WWE structure from the last 3 years, more games modes (yes RAW 2 has a nice selection but Smackdown 4 actually offers a wider range of matches) and an infinitley better game engine which is going to be improved upon in Smackdown 5. RAW 2 seriously doesn't stand a chance as Smackdown 5 is going bette it from a gameplay point of view and although the visuals from the first RAW helped to carry it through at the time they don't stand a cat in hells chance of making up for it this time around.

Started a bit of the season mode and 2 matches in I turned it off in disgust. Went to call out a wrestler and instead the announcer did it. In Smackdown 4 the character who you are playing goes into the ring with a microphone and calls them out. Sometimes they come out and talk, sometimes they come running into the ring and TKO you and sometimes they will ignor you and use it to interfere in an important match where they will actually make a DIFFERENCE. Yes thats right for those who don't know, the idiots forgot a massive glitch in the game (which appears in ALL version of RAW 2) where the person who you supposedly are against suddenly turns around and beats up your opponent instead. Fantastic realism, just fantastic...

The list goes on and on and there is nothing outside of the visuals that I can find to say that is of a positive nature. If you want to chuck around your money on guff games like this then thats your problem, I will wait for the ultimate WWE game in the form of Smackdown 5 when it is released later this year. There is even an Elimination Chamber match and reportedly an Inferno match! Fast, fluid gameplay with very few glitches and an awesome season mode where you can actually walk around the arena and surrounding areas yourself doing all the things which RAW 2 does in a boring automatic fashion.

There isn't a single person on here who wanted this game as much as I did. I did numerous post for the game and was greatly looking forward to it. Instead I gutted that they have done sweet FA to make it play better. Deny it all you want and try to justify your purchase of RAW 2, I hope you enjoy it I really do a there is nothing worse than renting a pile of toss and then realising your mistake when its too late to make a difference. I am just grateful that I got it free when I rented Phone Booth from Blockbuster earlier today, that way I can take it back with a smile knowing that the ultimate version is to come in the form of Smackdown 5.

RAW - I put up with hoping for improvements.

RAW 2 - I will not put up with as they have had the time to make a huge difference to the gameplay, instead they left it with very little changes.

RAW 3 - They don't have my back up for this one or many others after this game.

Disappointed for myself. Disgusted with the development and overall product.
Wed 08/10/03 at 22:16
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> From what I've played of the Smackdown games I'd say the RAW series is more realistic.

If you can find a WWE match where the competitors move like stiffs in the real world I will grant you this. Smackdown games are realistic. RAW games aren't.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.