GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Argos to sell Gamecubes again.."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/10/03 at 19:17
Regular
"thursdayton!"
"After famously withdrawing the GameCube from their shelves Argos are to re-stock them.
Argos decided that the GameCube wasn't selling enough so they reduced the price to £79.99 to clear stock. The GameCubes sold quickly and Argos stopped selling them.

A recent advert was found in a newspaper that stated it will be being sold again, at £79.99 to comply with the price cut." -- C-E.com

Good news indeed I think, although too late for it to be put in the xmas catalogue :S Will Dixons/Currys follow suit I wonder?
Fri 10/10/03 at 13:31
Regular
"8==="
Don't overlook the fact that the Xbox hardrive makes it friendly to multiformat titles simply because you don't have to bother with memory cards.

A small point you might think but when you own a GC and an Xbox you quickly see the Xbox getting most of/all the multiformat titles just because the harddisk is practical.
Fri 10/10/03 at 11:01
Regular
"hit the road jack"
I see what you mean Edgy..

We have 3 GAME stores in Norwich and in everyone the cube section is at the back of the shop and also covers the smallest area. In the smallest GAME (ontop of Debenams :S )the cube section has been downgraded to a small 4 ft high stand :'(
Fri 10/10/03 at 10:54
Regular
Its a large problem.

As much as I'd rather not have to look behind the crap to get to the better games on the shelves containing GameCube games, this lack of crap games to wade through means that there is less of an appeal to a wider audience and so, the GameCube suffers.

The scary thing is, in one of my local shops there is a whole gondola dedicated to Platinum games for the Playstation 2 whereas there's a smaller section containing all games currently out for the GameCube.

Sure, there's a lot of doubles of the platinum titles on the shelf, but it stands out more, catches peoples attention and sells the games.

This is what the GameCube needs. More games to fill a larger area of the stores.

If the Xbox can do it, so can GameCube!
Fri 10/10/03 at 10:28
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
It's true.

The PS2 and Xbox do tend to have a broader range of titles available, with more games appealing to the masses.
Every week there are far more titles being released for both those consoles than what is arriving for the Cube, so people generally have a wider choice of titles.
The GC also suffer when it doesn't get certain multiformat titles (Driver 3, Broken Sword 3 for example), and sometimes the Cube looks like it gets a raw deal in that respect.

You go into most game shops, and the PS2 and Xbox shelves will be full of the latest multiformat titles, not to mention various other game genres the Cube doesn't have (cricket anyone?). Then when you look at the Cube shelves, they aren't as well stocked with every single game genre we'd like. They're some amazing games on those Cube shelves, but not as many that appeal to the normal general public, which is a smallish problem for the machine, as it needs to have that wider appeal.
Fri 10/10/03 at 10:16
Regular
Advertising has NOTHING to do with poor sales.

The lack of crap games is the real reason.

People look at the choice of games on the PS2 and Xbox. Then they look at the smaller collection of games available for the GameCube.

It's only natural they'll pick one of the other two systems.

It doesn't even matter about the quality of the games, as long as a console has the most nowadays.
Fri 10/10/03 at 09:36
"For the horde!!!!"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Argos are a business.
>
> They want to make money. The Gamecube was not making them money. So
> they stopped selling it. Now that the Gamecube is cheaper, it might
> sell more. And then they might make money from it.
>
> Quite simple really. Argos selling Nintendo products is not a public
> service. If the Gamecube still does poorly then they might drop it
> again.

This makes perfect sense so kids please stop saying it's greed because that's just not the case, it's business sense to remove what is not selling and replace it with what is.
Nintendo are the ones that have botched up the Gamecube sales by not advertising properly and by having ridiculous release delays for PAL.
Thu 09/10/03 at 23:02
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Let's hope so anyways..
Thu 09/10/03 at 23:01
Regular
Yeah...

Ahem. It be because Argos sold the Gamecube at that price and they flew off the shelf... and it looks like it may happen again.
Thu 09/10/03 at 22:42
"I love yo... lamp."
Argos are a business.

They want to make money. The Gamecube was not making them money. So they stopped selling it. Now that the Gamecube is cheaper, it might sell more. And then they might make money from it.

Quite simple really. Argos selling Nintendo products is not a public service. If the Gamecube still does poorly then they might drop it again.
Thu 09/10/03 at 22:36
Regular
They stopped selling a console out of greed?

I don't get where your coming from.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.