GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your top ten games of all time"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/10/03 at 19:41
Regular
Your favourite ten games from all the way back to when computers were first constructed, to present day. Or if you like, 10 that have impressed you most with their originality, playability, or just pure quality. You can put down a series of games as one choice if you want.

I realise this thread belongs in the classic games forum, but cherynobyl has more visitors than that place :D

Ok, I'll go first, in NO particular order :

1) Mooncresta (ZX Spectrum) - Galaxian style 2D shoot em up, introduced me to the fast paced world of shoot em ups, a genre that seems to have died. Dodging alien ships and millions of round bullets while trying to annihilate your enemies. Very simple in every way, but playable to the extreme - evidence that graphics and sound do not make a game.

2) Flashback (Amiga/Megadrive/SNES) - 2D action/adventure/platformer featuring a superb plot, realistic game physics, a ton of missions to complete, fluid graphics, and truckloads of atmosphere. From the developers of the classic 'Another World', which was also way ahead of its time. Flashback was sequelled but the next in the series was at best unremarkable. Another genre that seems to be all but dead.

3) Syndicate (Amiga,PC) - Gave birth to the term 'squad based shooter'. Take your group of 4 cyborg mercenaries on increasingly dangerous missions in the violent futuristic blade-runner-esque underworld. Gun down gang members, enemy cyborgs, cops or just innocent people, depending on what sort of commander you are. Was succeeded by syndicate wars, which I haven't actually played yet.

4) Monkey Island 1 + 2 (Amiga,PC) - Introduced me to the point and click genre, and stirs many fond memories of 3 headed monkeys and other craziness. Some may argue that these games were boring, but they really made you use your head - you'd find yourself thinking up solutions while eating lunch, watching telly or whatever. Several other point and clicks of note are Day of the Tentacle, and the Indiana Jones series. Neither beat the monkey island games though.

5) Super Mario World (SNES) - My favourite Mario game of all time. 96 levels in all if I remember correctly. This came as close to perfection as any game could get in my opinion, and singlehandedly converted me to a nintendo fan virtually over night.

6) Zelda : A Link to the Past (SNES) - First RPG I played. Brilliant storyline, great japanese style cartoony graphics. Hundreds of locations to visit. Atmosphere to the max. Great.

7) DOOM Series (PC) - Easily the games I have spent most time playing, be it on the single player campaigns, Multiplayer LAN/Modem or creating new levels for it. Way ahead of its time, atmospheric, incredibly well designed and was the first game to make me realise PC's were not just for people working in offices. Superb.

8) Command & Conquer + Red Alert Series (PC) - Introduced me to the RTS genre, and still in my opinion the best of their type. The red alert games were slightly better than the C&C ones in my opinion, as the weaponry and storylines were more plausible and closer to modern day events. The balance between all the structures and units in the games is nothing short of remarkable. Multiplayer is a nasty tactic creating dream.

9) Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (N64) - The surprise hit of the decade, goldeneye shot to classic status instantly, and still holds its own against other shooters of today in my opinion. Perfect Dark, though containing a weaker single player campaign, took multiplayer to new levels, and with all those excellent weapons, arenas, characters and options, you could create just about any game of your liking.

10) Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City (PS2, PC, XBOX) - Jumped from fun 2D killfest to the creation of a multigenre shooter/driver which allowed an unprecedented amount of freedom. Feel what it is like to be a mafia gangster with little or no morals and a bag full of guns.

Quite a lot there, I must be bored :D
Fri 26/11/04 at 19:08
Regular
"0228"
Mr Lover Man wrote:

> 10) FIFA 2004 (PS2)

How the hell did that get into your top 10 all time games?
Fri 26/11/04 at 12:34
Regular
"Captain to you."
1) neverwinter nights (pc)
2) painkiller (pc)
3) streetfighter alpha 3 (saturn)
4) king of fighters 98 (neogeo cd)
5) radiant silver gun (saturn)
6) freelancer (pc)
7) farcry (pc)
8) flatout (pc)
9) king of fighters 2002 (neogeo cartridge)
10) streetfighter 3 3rd strike
Thu 09/09/04 at 15:44
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Hmmm....thats a toughie.....but In no particular order I would have to say:

1) Streets of Rage (Mega Drive)
2) Championship Manager (PC)
3) Doom (Playstation)
4) WWE Smackdown (PS2)
5) Global Gladiators (Master System)
6) Midnight Club (PS2)
7) Mortal Kombat (any format)
8) Super Mario Kart (N64)
9) Premier Manager (Mega Drive)
10) FIFA 2004 (PS2)
Thu 09/09/04 at 13:14
Regular
"Monochromatic"
As i've got such a poor memory these are relatively new and i've decided not to include multiple titles of the same game so no FF VIII etc, so in no particular order.

Broken Sword 1
Civilisation 2
Everybody Golf 2
Final Fantasy 7
Grand Theft Auto 3
Ico
Metal Gear Solid
Syphon Filter 2
Street Fighter II
Road Rash 2
Thu 09/09/04 at 11:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
1) MP
2) OOT
3) er...................................
Thu 09/09/04 at 11:07
Regular
1. Super Mario Bros.
2. Killer Instinct
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. Donkey Kong Country 3
6. Super Mario 64
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Super Mario Sunshine
9. Metroid Prime
10. Actraiser
Thu 02/09/04 at 00:02
Regular
"313>>>ukchatforums"
I've been meaning to do this for a long time and have just figured out my top 10 games. So here they are, enjoy :)

*10*

Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 (PC)

This is truly one of the best RTS games ever made and the first one I ever played. A wide range of mission, the choice of being good (the Americans) or bad (the Soviets) and the many different troops at your disposal everything about this game I loved. Some pure quality PC gaming at its best and is definitely worth a try.

*9*

MechCommander (PC)

Now your all thinking ‘ain’t heard of that one, so it’s probably rubbish,’ well it’s the complete opposite. This strategy game was probably the best game use strategy successfully in its game play. Which is the best route, what’s the best way to defeat the enemy all of a true strategy game should be is crammed into this game. Plus using huge walking battle tanks that can hold more missiles than Russia, what more could you want. If you ever see this in the shops going cheap, it’s a great opportunity to own this wonderful game.

*8*

Goldeneye (N64)

The first N64 game I ever got and the first successful movie game I ever played (and still is). The pin point accuracy of the plot from the movie had no bumps or scraps whilst it was being turned into a game. Multiplayer is still one of the best around with a humungous range of weapons (some which weren’t even in this James Bond film like the Moonraker laser) and characters from many Bond films. Goldeneye is still the best movie game ever and is also considered one of the best first person shooter games to.

*7*

Perfect Dark (N64)

If James Bond was a woman this is what it would have been. Perfect Dark is the little sister of Goldeneye but can certainly be crowned an all round better game. More weapons, more levels, more realistic it had everything Goldeneye didn’t. Some of the best multiplayer fun I’ve had from playing this truly legendary first person shooter and deserves to be in my top ten games ever!

*6*

Super Mario World (Snes)

Seriously fun, seriously addictive and still the best Mario game ever made. Any sane Mario fan will tell you the same thing. A barrel load of levels in a number of different environments made this game stand out from any other Snes game. The basic Mario games are truly great and Super Mario World is leading the way. A must play!

*5*

Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)

Into the top five now so expect some decent games. Let’s start off with this then shall we. Once I had completed FFVII I was craving for more. My prayers were answered and FFVIII as finally released. Cool characters, a new world to explore, fantastic new realistic FMV’s, brilliant game play it just blew me away. Is it one of the greatest Final Fantasy games? You better believe it and definitely deserves to be in my top ten games ever!

*4*

Final Fantasy VI (PS1/Snes)

I couldn’t believe how a Snes game could be so good. I didn’t play this till it was ported onto the PS1, but if I knew what I was missing I would’ve played this game instantly! A unique story, terrific game play, wonderful and colourful retro Snes graphics it all made this game special. It also had the biggest selection of characters throughout the Final Fantasy series each with their own special abilities which makes this game my forth best game of all time.

*3*

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

….Wow! Who could’ve come up with such an intense and mind blowing game? Metal Gear Solid made one of the biggest impacts of my gaming experiences. The story was truly unique and totally original. No one had ever made or played anything like this before and became highly popular, very quickly. Some historic gaming moments were from this superior game and should be played by all gamers and definitely deserves to be my third greatest game of all time.

*2*

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

A truly historic game, which no keen gamer should miss out on. A courageous main character, a beautiful plot, a cool and evil villain are just some of the many many things which made this game as popular as it is today. A top action/adventure game and is considered the best N64 game ever made (I definitely agree with that) and comes in second place out of my top ten games ever.

*1*

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

Cue for everyone to go ‘oh no, another FFVII fanboy’ and so on. Well I’m proud of it. This was the very first RPG I ever played and the first Final Fantasy game I played to. This instalment of the series gave me a very good impression on the series and hasn’t been disappointing yet. The best story throughout the series, excellent game play, tons and tons of replay value plus the coolest villain ever to walk the face of the gaming world. Consider it an honour to have this stunning game in your own collection, I know I do and sits in its rightful place as my best game ever.
Sun 20/06/04 at 22:30
"Hi"
1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
The greatest game ever!
2. Pokémon Blue\Red (GB)
I played on it for so long and it was the first game I truely loved, I remember getting my first pokémon up to lv.100 and just being so happy.
3. The Sims (PC)
I know alott of people are against it but the shear time I have played on it for makes it one of the best.
4. Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC)
Truely epic...
5. Diablo 2 (PC)
I can't stop playing it.
6. Final Fantasy X
Although annoying at times, Wakka is just such a cool name and it's a classic game.
7. D-Gen (PC)
The oldest game by far in this list. I have it on my old PC which has Windows 1992 on it, it's a shooter like no other but there is a really hard riddle on it that I can't figure out.
8. Wario Ware Inc. (GBA)
Where do I start, so many short bursts of fun.
9. Banjo Kazooie (N64)
Could of been higher in my list but I hate Clanker's Caveren so much.
10. Super Mario 64 (N64)
The first time I saw a video game in 3D, classic.

Ok, so there were no SNES or NES games and I think they are classic consoles it's just that all of their games were great but not superior. Can anybody suggest somes games I might like looking at that top 10.
Sat 19/06/04 at 23:54
Regular
Hmm... I need to post a revised version soon.
Sat 19/06/04 at 21:24
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
unreal tournament
Amerecan conquest
Alien vs Predator
Grand theif auto 3
Medal of honour
Gangsters 2
Cosack
Civilization 3
the sims
total war

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.