GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your top ten games of all time"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/10/03 at 19:41
Regular
Your favourite ten games from all the way back to when computers were first constructed, to present day. Or if you like, 10 that have impressed you most with their originality, playability, or just pure quality. You can put down a series of games as one choice if you want.

I realise this thread belongs in the classic games forum, but cherynobyl has more visitors than that place :D

Ok, I'll go first, in NO particular order :

1) Mooncresta (ZX Spectrum) - Galaxian style 2D shoot em up, introduced me to the fast paced world of shoot em ups, a genre that seems to have died. Dodging alien ships and millions of round bullets while trying to annihilate your enemies. Very simple in every way, but playable to the extreme - evidence that graphics and sound do not make a game.

2) Flashback (Amiga/Megadrive/SNES) - 2D action/adventure/platformer featuring a superb plot, realistic game physics, a ton of missions to complete, fluid graphics, and truckloads of atmosphere. From the developers of the classic 'Another World', which was also way ahead of its time. Flashback was sequelled but the next in the series was at best unremarkable. Another genre that seems to be all but dead.

3) Syndicate (Amiga,PC) - Gave birth to the term 'squad based shooter'. Take your group of 4 cyborg mercenaries on increasingly dangerous missions in the violent futuristic blade-runner-esque underworld. Gun down gang members, enemy cyborgs, cops or just innocent people, depending on what sort of commander you are. Was succeeded by syndicate wars, which I haven't actually played yet.

4) Monkey Island 1 + 2 (Amiga,PC) - Introduced me to the point and click genre, and stirs many fond memories of 3 headed monkeys and other craziness. Some may argue that these games were boring, but they really made you use your head - you'd find yourself thinking up solutions while eating lunch, watching telly or whatever. Several other point and clicks of note are Day of the Tentacle, and the Indiana Jones series. Neither beat the monkey island games though.

5) Super Mario World (SNES) - My favourite Mario game of all time. 96 levels in all if I remember correctly. This came as close to perfection as any game could get in my opinion, and singlehandedly converted me to a nintendo fan virtually over night.

6) Zelda : A Link to the Past (SNES) - First RPG I played. Brilliant storyline, great japanese style cartoony graphics. Hundreds of locations to visit. Atmosphere to the max. Great.

7) DOOM Series (PC) - Easily the games I have spent most time playing, be it on the single player campaigns, Multiplayer LAN/Modem or creating new levels for it. Way ahead of its time, atmospheric, incredibly well designed and was the first game to make me realise PC's were not just for people working in offices. Superb.

8) Command & Conquer + Red Alert Series (PC) - Introduced me to the RTS genre, and still in my opinion the best of their type. The red alert games were slightly better than the C&C ones in my opinion, as the weaponry and storylines were more plausible and closer to modern day events. The balance between all the structures and units in the games is nothing short of remarkable. Multiplayer is a nasty tactic creating dream.

9) Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (N64) - The surprise hit of the decade, goldeneye shot to classic status instantly, and still holds its own against other shooters of today in my opinion. Perfect Dark, though containing a weaker single player campaign, took multiplayer to new levels, and with all those excellent weapons, arenas, characters and options, you could create just about any game of your liking.

10) Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City (PS2, PC, XBOX) - Jumped from fun 2D killfest to the creation of a multigenre shooter/driver which allowed an unprecedented amount of freedom. Feel what it is like to be a mafia gangster with little or no morals and a bag full of guns.

Quite a lot there, I must be bored :D
Fri 04/11/05 at 20:33
Regular
"youngest regular"
I gotta say,you and lukeman have absaloutly great taste.
Fri 04/11/05 at 15:21
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
1. Mario Kart (SNES)
2. Mario All Stars (SNES)
3. Streetfighter 2 (SNES/Arcade)
4. Track and Field (Arcade)
5. Chaos (Amiga)
6. Final Fantasy 8 (PS2)
7. GTA 3 (PS2)
8. Chuckie Egg (Spectrum)
9. LMA Manager 2005 (PS2)
10. Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System)
Sun 23/10/05 at 15:05
Regular
snake10 wrote:
> 1.ff7
>
> 2.zelda:ocarina of time
>
> 3.mgs1
>
> 4.ff10
>
> 5.ff8(would've been higher but i didnt finish it.i was 8 ran away
> from all the battles all the time.so weak i got caught and couldnt go
> on.lost the first disc)
>
> 6.jak3
>
> 7.jak2
>
> 8.mgs2
>
> 9.ff10-2
>
> 10.kessen 2

wow your like me. mines are:

1)Metal Gear Solid 3
2)Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3)Metal Gear Solid 1
4)Final Fantasy 7
5)zelda the wind waker
6)Metal Gear Solid 2
7)Grand Theaft Auto: San Andreas
8)zelda the minis cap
9)super smash bros
10)pokemon leaf green
Thu 13/10/05 at 12:38
Regular
Favourite games of all time!!!

1. Far cry on the PC, I played and completed it on a friend’s pc and have been dieing to play it again since then (that was when it was first released on the pc) now the Xbox version has arrived, a friend and I completed that in less than 12 hours. Don’t get me wrong I did enjoy it but it was to enclosed for me it was no way near as open as the pc version and that why I loved it so much. Another thing, about the Xbox version, I quite like the feral abilities it ads more to the game, but what is the deal with the screamers they were stolen right from Serious Sam and it wasn’t a good steal either it’s annoying!!!
2. Goldeneye on the N64 which was one of the first FPS’ I played and loved, played and loved it for many hours, I haven’t played it for so long but I’m sure it’s still as great as ever.
3. Perfect Dark for the N64 was an unbelievable game I only played it once and that was still enough for me to love it so much.
4. Grand Theft Auto 3- Vice City for the PS2 I could still pick up the control on any of the GTA saga and know may way around these games were amazing when number 3 came out I couldn’t believe my eyes it was amazing the sheer freedom of the game was amazing and in san Andréa’s the sheer amount of thing you can do, I even spent many hours just cruising the streets listening to the cool tunes.
5. Commandos and behind enemy lines for the PC. Many a night me and my mate would sit and try and work out the right route to take, but it was an absolute gem of a game!!! Wasn’t a fan of commandos 2 though although I only played it on my PS2 it still was seriously lacking.
6. Command & conquer red alert – command & generals for the PC this was also one of the first games I played and loved. I have been playing these games for many years now, although I don’t have a PC to play the Generals on it is still a very good game, I think my favourite of them all would have been tiberian Sun and the expansion pack it was amazing the amount of vehicles and the sheer size of the maps.
7. Timesplitters 2 is another of my all time favourite PS2 games. the multiplayer was so amazing it was so fast paced and that’s how I like my FPS’ even when playing it alone it was still great but playing with a buddy at the same time was amazing It was just a massive kill fest!!!
8. Red Faction 1 & 2 on PS2 was another ground breaking FPS I just love the destrucability of the whole game. Number 2 was lacking in the destruction but was still a very good game. I loved the multiplayer on that as well it’s another fast paced FPS and the guns were also pretty good.
9. Forza the only driving Sim I have been actually been able to get into the graphics were amazing and the range of cars is amazing!!!!!!
10. Halo 1 & 2 this is why this is last on my list although the game play was amazing and the physics were unbeatable the story was a bunch of crap and I hated aliens and I really hated the fact we played the aliens for a section, but it was fun blowing them up that’s the only reason I brought the game.

If i had a top spec PC im sure most of the recent PC only FPS' would be up there, alas i dont. im only using the tools i got.
Wed 05/10/05 at 21:19
Regular
"youngest regular"
1.ff7

2.zelda:ocarina of time

3.mgs1

4.ff10

5.ff8(would've been higher but i didnt finish it.i was 8 ran away from all the battles all the time.so weak i got caught and couldnt go on.lost the first disc)

6.jak3

7.jak2

8.mgs2

9.ff10-2

10.kessen 2
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:40
Regular
"Catch it!"
Wells here's the rest of mine:

5.Super Mario 64
4.Grand Theft Auto 3
3.Grand Theft Auto Vice City
2.Max Payne
1.This is a tricky one but it has to be Killer 7

Yeah not the greatest list.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Cyclone wrote:
> 1) WoW
> 2) MP
> 3) OOT
4) er...............
Tue 04/10/05 at 19:12
Regular
"Catch it!"
Well I don't know really but heres some of my list:

10.The Sims
9.IGI Project
8.Sonic
7.Grand Theft Auto:San Andrea's
6:Goldeneye

Well just going to say the rest later.
Tue 04/10/05 at 17:44
Regular
"You have a choice"
Alright... the definitive games off all time for me.....

10: Final Fantasy X

Oh it was great... but Tidus annoyed the hell outta me!

9: Metal Gear Solid 2

Oh it was great... but Raiden annoyed the hell outta me!

8: Final Fantasy IX

Lovely gameplay mostly, but Trance and Quina were a pain.

7: Pro Evolution Soccer 3

yay! The Beautiful game!

6: Max Payne:

Go slow-mo! And a great story too.

5: Metal Gear Solid

Revolutionary, great story, great acting. Awesome.

4: Pro Evolution Soccer 4

The best sports game ever! (though Pro Evo 5 may take it's place)

3: Final Fantasy VII

The story is the best in the history of creation and great gameplay as well.

2: Metal Gear Solid 3

*Drools* It makes you think. It has awesome graphics, gameplay, and story. David Hayter rules as Snake. In fact...there's only one game better.

1: Final Fantasy VIII

I fell in love with FF OSTs thanks to this game. Squall is so cool. The Story is brilliant, the gameplay and lifespan are top-notch, and it has the best graphics I have seen on the PS1.
Sat 01/10/05 at 17:00
Regular
"95% organic"
Ahhhh. A listing topic. The perfect way to ease myself back into the SR lifestyle.

In no particular order...

Civilisation 2 & 3
Super Mario World 1 & 2
Ghouls'n'Ghosts
GTA 3, VC and SA
Street Fighter 2 & 3
Outrun 1 & 2
F-Zero (esp the N64 version)
Bust-A-Move
Resident Evil 1-4
Gradius 1-5

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.