GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FX owners, in here!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/10/03 at 19:48
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I'm pleased to announce (incase you aren't already aware) that nVidia has just today released the latest version of their Detonator drivers - v52.16!

Get them now at www.nvidia.com - file weighs in at around 18.5meg.

Having installed them myself, I am happy to report a massive improvement in performance in Halo - I'm now running the game at 1280x1024 with max graphical settings and, for the most part, the game runs smoothly! This is compared to before when the game absolutely crawled even in the smallest of fight sequences.

Not sure of how the drivers affect other games - think I read somewhere that it may even have a slightly adverse affect, but I can't confirm this for the time being - look forward to seeing how it handles Max Payne 2 tomorrow though! :D
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:17
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
After the file location of the exe, you should have a space and then "-use11".

Seeing as this topic seems to have been dug up again, I just did a little experimenting and found that, now with the latest Detonator drivers, there's no difference in forcing 1.1 shaders as opposed to the 2.0 version.
Tue 28/10/03 at 07:50
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> Halo runs fine on MY FX5600, so why not yours?

Absolutely no idea. With the new detonator drivers, I get somthing like 8 - 10 fps in 800x600. Whats your processor speed?
Tue 28/10/03 at 18:31
Regular
ive got an Athlon XP 2100+

but after all this chit-chat about FX, i've come to find that my card isnt performing up to scratch because of issues with shaders etc.

i haven't really heard much positive stuff about the card either.
Tue 28/10/03 at 18:31
Regular
however, i run Halo at 640x480 with everything but particles turned right down...
Wed 29/10/03 at 09:19
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Forget Halo - Max Payne 2 is out now and is a far superior game! Go buy it, you saps! :)
Wed 29/10/03 at 12:32
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Apologies if someone has already mentioned it but the detonators are now rebranded as 'forceware' for some reason. And could you point me to a url to get that 18mb driver, because I can only find a standard 8mb one. Cheers.

Max Payne 2 arrived yesterday and won't run without the latest drivers, so I'm in for a treat tonight.
Wed 29/10/03 at 16:00
Regular
www.guru3d.com has it somewhere...

oh, and i was having a long chat with one of my mates the other night, talking about the FX 5600. well, i was sniffing around nVidia's website, and there was no reference to the 5600, anywhere - instead it's been replaced with the 5700. could it be that, like the 5800, the 5600 is a total toss-up?. personally i'm outraged. nVidia will have to work HARD to get back on their feet after this. it says in a hardware article about nVidia FX, and it says "nVidia will tell you to wait for the 5700, but tell that to those who've already invested in the 5600 series".

do i need any more proof? it's all here in the physical evidence. Ati are the way to go right now, but that's too late for me. I already invested in the 5600, and although i got it at a *seriously* reduced price, it still matters - as i can't replenish that money. i even looked on eBay to see how much i expected it to go for if i sold it, but there was *no* 5600's for sale. hmmm, i wonder why.....
Wed 29/10/03 at 16:03
Regular
ummm, the new detonators ARE 8mb. they're crunched down to 8mb by most sites.
Wed 29/10/03 at 16:04
Regular
oh, and have you thought of looking at www.nvidia.com?

no?

they've got it there too.
Wed 29/10/03 at 16:05
Regular
to round off my burst-posting-because-of-things-i-forgot-to-put-in spree, i wanna ask you, uncle albert, how you got such performance?

what FX do you have?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.