GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FX owners, in here!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/10/03 at 19:48
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I'm pleased to announce (incase you aren't already aware) that nVidia has just today released the latest version of their Detonator drivers - v52.16!

Get them now at www.nvidia.com - file weighs in at around 18.5meg.

Having installed them myself, I am happy to report a massive improvement in performance in Halo - I'm now running the game at 1280x1024 with max graphical settings and, for the most part, the game runs smoothly! This is compared to before when the game absolutely crawled even in the smallest of fight sequences.

Not sure of how the drivers affect other games - think I read somewhere that it may even have a slightly adverse affect, but I can't confirm this for the time being - look forward to seeing how it handles Max Payne 2 tomorrow though! :D
Fri 31/10/03 at 12:01
Regular
Uncle Albert wrote:
> UrkiE-UK wrote:
> Update : im definitely laying my hand on a 9600 pro 256mb for 120
> quid
> for a standard one, but is a gigabyte radeon better, seeing as i
> have
> a gigabyte motherboard? hmmmmm...
>
> my mate says it'd be better - as far as compatibility is concerned.
>
> Your mate is wrong! :)
>
> Won't make sod-all difference! As has been discussed on here
> recently, if two cards by two different manufacturers uses the same
> chipset, it's highly likely there will be minimal performance
> difference. The three main factors I would take into account are
> price, brand and cooling solution.
>
> However, what do you mean by 'standard one'? What brand is it?

well, all this is obsolete now. check THIS card out. exactly the same price as what i paid for my FX5600 - and 10 times better!

the Tyan Tachyon 9600pro:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html? (space) action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51440

The Tyan's are corking motherboard makers, and although they're new to the game, they make HOT cards!!! this particular one has outstanding overclocking abilities, including an adjustable fan. which i like. muchly.

but first i have to get rid of my current card...

anyone for an FX5600? ;D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? (space) ViewItem&item=2762789319&category=27387
Thu 30/10/03 at 14:33
Regular
I should recieve my Hercules 3d Prophet Radeon 9600 AGP 8x 256MB on Tuesday. Yay for me!
Thu 30/10/03 at 14:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im now looking at splashing out on a 9800SE and praying to god that it can softclock to 9800Pro standards.
Thu 30/10/03 at 13:11
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> Update : im definitely laying my hand on a 9600 pro 256mb for 120 quid
> for a standard one, but is a gigabyte radeon better, seeing as i have
> a gigabyte motherboard? hmmmmm...
>
> my mate says it'd be better - as far as compatibility is concerned.

Your mate is wrong! :)

Won't make sod-all difference! As has been discussed on here recently, if two cards by two different manufacturers uses the same chipset, it's highly likely there will be minimal performance difference. The three main factors I would take into account are price, brand and cooling solution.

However, what do you mean by 'standard one'? What brand is it?
Thu 30/10/03 at 12:33
Regular
Update : im definitely laying my hand on a 9600 pro 256mb for 120 quid for a standard one, but is a gigabyte radeon better, seeing as i have a gigabyte motherboard? hmmmmm...

my mate says it'd be better - as far as compatibility is concerned.
Thu 30/10/03 at 09:58
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> Clicked on the reply link!

Clicked on the WRONG reply link! I'm going back to bed...
Thu 30/10/03 at 09:57
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Gah...it's far too early! Shouldn't have got legless last night...

Clicked on the reply link! My previous post is for UkriE.
Thu 30/10/03 at 09:56
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Little Hobbo wrote:
> Cheers mate. I already had the driver from nvidia, but just wanted to
> see if the 18mb one Albert mentioned was different at all.

Tweakage my man! My machine is optimized to the limit! (He says).

Plus the base spec itself is an XP2800 Barton (the one with the fat L2 cache), 1gig dual channel PC2700 (should've got for the 3200 stuff, but never mind) and a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm being transferred through my fat ATA133 round ide cable! :) Plus the MSI nForce2 board is topnotch.

I've got a silly number of fans in my case, and can overclock, when required, to impressive figures.

Still, my FX5600 256mb is still pretty useless - might get a 9800XT around Christmas.
Wed 29/10/03 at 21:12
Regular
hmmm, the thought of having a much better card for my money is eating away on the inside.

I might get all my money's back on ebay, and for just a few more quid i could lay my hands on a 9600 PRO...

i'll have to worm my way around telling that to dad, though.
Wed 29/10/03 at 19:28
Regular
oh, and no 'inno's' or any other third party stuff other than sparkle itself.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.