GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo have no style"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/09/01 at 23:35
Regular
OK, I’ve been away for a while so my first topic for ages will be a (yay) console wars topic!

As you all know, I’ve never liked Nintendo, for lots of different reasons. However, there’s always been another reason that I’ve never told you, because I couldn’t quite place it. Well, now I know what it is.

Nintendo have no style.

The first seeds of enlightenment were sown a couple of weeks ago when some twonk said the GameCube packaging was so much better than the PS2’s (as if we really care). When I looked at the packaging I thought:

“God, it looks so loud and tacky. It’s too OTT and Japanime.”

Finally, I realised when I was reading an article on the contents of the PS2 box in the OPS2 Special Issue #1 (God knows why. Actually, I don’t know why even bought it. There was some blatant cut ‘n’ pastery going on). It said, and I quote: “Inside the PS2’s minimalist packaging…” That’s when it hit me, as to why I like Sony so much better. Nintendo have no style whatsoever. The N64 and GameCube have very in-your-face designs. The still look like consoles made for kids instead of entertainment systems. This could be one reason why Nintendo fails to appeal to the trendy generation. The games are pretty much the same as well. There are a few exceptions, such as Extreme-G and WipEout 64, but the latter doesn’t count.

Sony, however, has style by the truckload. Sony in general as a company is ultimately cool. Most people have a Sony portable audio device of some sort, because apart from being very high quality, they are always very stylish. The design always keeps up with the current trend, even their bloody laptops look the business! The games always scream sleek as well. You only have to look at WipEout, GT and G-Surfers to realise this. Almost every game on the PS2 that’s any good is groovy in some way. SSX has some very cool moments, as does GT3 and ZOE. It’s just the PlayStation way.

In fact, a lot of people would have heard before the phrase “PlayStation culture”. The PlayStation comes with its own lifestyle. What other console would have a section on the perfect audio and visual set-ups, with advice on speakers, DTS systems and televisions? Exactly. Hell, there was even a PlayStation gig set up by Sony recently. They have these parties all the time, and the kinds of people that turn up are not just industry journos and FantasyMeister, but proper clubbers as well. Sony has managed to capture the heart, not only of tradition and hardcore gamers, but the new generation of trendy Ibiza dance-slaves, by making even videogames look cool.
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:51
Too confusing see. Does that mean that third party developers on the PC are infact 2nd party, except that they don't develop for consoles. Guess they're just developers actually.
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:48
Regular
1st party = nintendo makes console
2nd party = makes only for 1 console
3rd party = makes for all consoles.
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:36
No I know you aint serious I'm just jesting with ye. Aren't we the second party, we buy the games. It's too confusing, best we stick with first party being the folk that make the console and third party being everyone else who makes games for it. What is a second party developer anyway?
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:13
Regular
Gronti_v wrote:
> It's strange that you're against discrimination against Newbies and
> use the argument "we're all equals" and then go about
> hunting Nobles. Seems a little hypocritical. Why don't you lay the
> first stone by stopping your discrimination against Notables? A
> little goes a long way they say. Of course it depends what it is
> that's "little" and how you define "a long
> way".

I am VERY good friends with the Notables i decided to stop as no one saw the funny side to the Notable hunter untill FM pointed out it makes Notables more interesting, so i carry on, it isn't serious have you read the stories? er-no defeats me by singing its raining men not really serious is it?

I loved it before now people really wanna be a notable or hate being a newbie, why can't we stay the same.
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
In reply to Shocktrooper's post:

Sony developers can potentially make better games though. Because of the open-ended architecture, the PS2 can perform even more complicated AI and maths routines, and AI/AL is a major part of a good game.
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:11
Regular
Gronti_v wrote:
> Didn't Nintendo sell the rights to Rare for Donkey Kong, and they
> used him to make many good DK Country games (well the first one, the
> rest were too samey really)? Yes I believe they did, and now Rare
> loan him back on occasion because Nintendo are nice enough to sell
> their games.

Ahhhhhh nope, Nintendo are a big company but with so many people wanting this and that from them they give their second paries the ability to make their games e.g. Leftfield -excitebike, Retro studios- Metroid, Rare- Donkey Kong.

Nintendo ask there second parties for help you see Nintendo are asked all teh time to make a sequel to this and that aswell as create something new so they pass it on, Nintendo had no time for anymore GBC Zelda games so they asked Capcom to make a few.

see, i read this in the Shigsy interview free with N64 magazine.
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:07
It's strange that you're against discrimination against Newbies and use the argument "we're all equals" and then go about hunting Nobles. Seems a little hypocritical. Why don't you lay the first stone by stopping your discrimination against Notables? A little goes a long way they say. Of course it depends what it is that's "little" and how you define "a long way".
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:05
Regular
Arrow Guntanfu Lish wrote:
> Look, get your facts right!

Rare made Goldeneye and Timesplitters
> was made by the same people. EVERYONE knows that!

And don't try
> to argue with me you inferior C++ swine!

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
the designer of Goldeneye known as Dr Doak left Rare and started his own game, most of the original goldeneye team stayed with mr booth and made Perfect Dark, happy!
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:04
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Your Honour, fantastic. Unless you do anything stupid you will get
> my vote at the next election. Though I might vote for Dringo to
> annoy him.

It wont annoy me too much i am campaignng again but differently if i become a notable you will see,

A notable hunter story: the hunter becomes the hunted will be fun.
Sun 09/09/01 at 22:33
It's a temple actually. That Christian god wont save you. Which reminds me, heard that guys song now what's his name again? Eddie Grant or something. Says "kill the children, just like pharoh". Funny, could have sworn that was the god of the slaves killing the Egyptian first borns, never mind but it just goes to show what people are willing to believe.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.