GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo have no style"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/09/01 at 23:35
Regular
OK, I’ve been away for a while so my first topic for ages will be a (yay) console wars topic!

As you all know, I’ve never liked Nintendo, for lots of different reasons. However, there’s always been another reason that I’ve never told you, because I couldn’t quite place it. Well, now I know what it is.

Nintendo have no style.

The first seeds of enlightenment were sown a couple of weeks ago when some twonk said the GameCube packaging was so much better than the PS2’s (as if we really care). When I looked at the packaging I thought:

“God, it looks so loud and tacky. It’s too OTT and Japanime.”

Finally, I realised when I was reading an article on the contents of the PS2 box in the OPS2 Special Issue #1 (God knows why. Actually, I don’t know why even bought it. There was some blatant cut ‘n’ pastery going on). It said, and I quote: “Inside the PS2’s minimalist packaging…” That’s when it hit me, as to why I like Sony so much better. Nintendo have no style whatsoever. The N64 and GameCube have very in-your-face designs. The still look like consoles made for kids instead of entertainment systems. This could be one reason why Nintendo fails to appeal to the trendy generation. The games are pretty much the same as well. There are a few exceptions, such as Extreme-G and WipEout 64, but the latter doesn’t count.

Sony, however, has style by the truckload. Sony in general as a company is ultimately cool. Most people have a Sony portable audio device of some sort, because apart from being very high quality, they are always very stylish. The design always keeps up with the current trend, even their bloody laptops look the business! The games always scream sleek as well. You only have to look at WipEout, GT and G-Surfers to realise this. Almost every game on the PS2 that’s any good is groovy in some way. SSX has some very cool moments, as does GT3 and ZOE. It’s just the PlayStation way.

In fact, a lot of people would have heard before the phrase “PlayStation culture”. The PlayStation comes with its own lifestyle. What other console would have a section on the perfect audio and visual set-ups, with advice on speakers, DTS systems and televisions? Exactly. Hell, there was even a PlayStation gig set up by Sony recently. They have these parties all the time, and the kinds of people that turn up are not just industry journos and FantasyMeister, but proper clubbers as well. Sony has managed to capture the heart, not only of tradition and hardcore gamers, but the new generation of trendy Ibiza dance-slaves, by making even videogames look cool.
Mon 10/09/01 at 19:37
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
PS1 Way more games over 80% than N64?
Of course it does.
But you can't go by that Turbonutter; why you ask?
First off Count the number of games the N64 has available.
Then Count the number of Games for the Playstation.
Got it now?
Mon 10/09/01 at 19:34
Is that because there are more games for the PS? Perhaps there are more PS owners. Figures are all fine and well but theory adn practice tend to differ, often more than expected.
Mon 10/09/01 at 19:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Strafex wrote:
> They simply lack imagination.
> And I think that
> PS2 devellopers are already using those techniques and hence you
> have the games on the system.

No, only the crap developers have no imagination. No one buys their games. The PSone (I've tested this) has way more games that scored 80% or more than the N64.

> I think that better will come on
> the other 2.

Based on?
Mon 10/09/01 at 14:56
Bonus wrote:
> Who cares, come next yer there is a simple question to be answered,
> "Mario Sunshine or Metal Gear Solid 2?", that's what the
> sales of these two consoles will hinge on. Make your choice, buy
> the console you need to play the game, then sit back and take a look
> at what game you buy next, if your clever you may have done this
> before you bought your console, so you know what to expect, people
> are very capable of deciding for themselves what appeals to them, so
> let them get on with it. Who wins this so called "war" is
> irrelevent, this is an entertainment industry, and if you are
> entertained with the products you have bought then they are
> successful in what they set out to achieve, if you aren't
> entertained they have failed, that is the only benchmark you should
> stick too.

I choose Halo. Wait a minute...
Mon 10/09/01 at 13:34
"High polygon count"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Walk into a nightclub, and ask 100 people
> "Who's cooler, Sony or Nintendo?"

That's not a fair test, though - you have to be over 18 in most cases (21 in some) to get into a nightclub - hence 99% of Nintendo fans will not be allowed in!

:-)
Mon 10/09/01 at 13:25
Regular
Who cares, come next yer there is a simple question to be answered, "Mario Sunshine or Metal Gear Solid 2?", that's what the sales of these two consoles will hinge on. Make your choice, buy the console you need to play the game, then sit back and take a look at what game you buy next, if your clever you may have done this before you bought your console, so you know what to expect, people are very capable of deciding for themselves what appeals to them, so let them get on with it. Who wins this so called "war" is irrelevent, this is an entertainment industry, and if you are entertained with the products you have bought then they are successful in what they set out to achieve, if you aren't entertained they have failed, that is the only benchmark you should stick too.
Mon 10/09/01 at 13:12
Regular
"touch`e"
Well that's just a whole lot of crap cos nintendo have made exellent games like mario64 and lylat wars(starfox64) they also made f zero x and a whole lot of other great games.

So please stop this dribblecos nintendo can make great game when they get their minds to it.
Mon 10/09/01 at 11:08
Regular
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Your Honour, fantastic. Unless you do
> anything stupid you will get
> my vote at the next election.
> Though I might vote for Dringo to
> annoy him.

Thanks mate, but.... er, what did I write exactly?
Mon 10/09/01 at 10:49
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> In reply to Shocktrooper's post:

Sony developers can potentially
> make better games though. Because of the open-ended architecture,
> the PS2 can perform even more complicated AI and maths routines, and
> AI/AL is a major part of a good game.

They simply lack imagination.
And I think that PS2 devellopers are already using those techniques and hence you have the games on the system.

I think that better will come on the other 2.
Sun 09/09/01 at 23:54
Regular
1st pary e.g. Sony, Nintendo

2nd party e.g. only make games for one system lets say Rare

3rd party makes games for more thatn 1 like capcom who make resident evil on all paltforms.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.