GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Childish Nintendo."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/09/01 at 15:18
Regular
Nintendo's image towards the general public and gamers has always been a much talked about topic in the gaming world. Many say that Nintendo are a childrens company, and with all the many Pokemon games you would be pressed to argue against it.

Nintendo have had a childlike appearance since the family console the Nintendo Entertainment System. Back then they didn't see it as a problem because the games machines weren't powerful so the games were simple and effective...

...ever since those original classics they have continued along the same path which lead to the first consoles success. Choosing bright, colourful colours with cartoon-like characters for most of their releases.

Was this a bad choice? Representing games in that style for over ten years may have damaged the company in the release and life of the Nintendo64. The gamers that had grown up with the cartoon-like games would have moved on, they didn't want Banjo Kazooie or Diddy Kong Racing64 over Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil...was it a bad choice from Nintendo?

Overall. No. It wasn't a bad choice as last year saw Nintendo have one of their most profitable years in the market (maybe due to Pokemon). Nintendo have never denied being called a childish company, infact they rely on the superb originality and gameplay of their released to shut up the chants.

Real gamers out there will know that visuals aren't 'everything' in a game, they merely add to the fun, but maybe the child-like visuals are what should be kept in some games? I can't imagine Mario Kart64 with different characters, hell- imagine a lifelike Mario. It just wouldn't be the same.

The GameCube is where its going to be different. I feel Nintendo have learnt from the lessons of the Nintendo 64, and with many more companies backing the console this time around the choice for every gamer is going to be huge, an example of this is Metroid, which is already looking like an 18 rated game.

Yes, Nintendo still and probably will always have the child-like image, simply because that is very successful to them as a company, and they still make excellent games with that image. However, I do believe that Nintendo will now develop games for the all age gaming market.

The GameCube may be the start of something very promising indeed.

Thanks
er-no
Sat 08/09/01 at 18:19
"I love yo... lamp."
Well I am not going to out-comment a Notable. But let me just say that in some respects Nintendo are childish, in the way Sega are grown up. Nintendo are all about fun. They use bright colours and unbelievable fantasy worlds in their games. Other second and third party developers are different but Nintendo are quite childish in presentation. Sega are more mature. There games have more style to them. Nintendo are the opposite of that. Those two extremes are what makes the friendly rivalry between the companies enjoyable. The games as a result from not directly competing with each other end up being the best on offer. Despite Nintendo's apparent childish nature they are not too childish to play. Mario Kart admittedly looks childish. But no childs game would really reduce four grown mean to fighting. It is all in the presentation and Nintendo go for what they see as fun. Some see it as childish. I personally do not. I find it fun. Sega go for a more adult look. They go for abstract takes on the real world. But that does not mean that their games ae unsuitable for children. Pretty much any Nintendo or Sega game could be played by anyone of any age and still be found fun. They just take different approaches to that small word that is a big state. Fun. i enjoy the different styles and I think it leads to some great games from both companies. So no I do not think that Nintendo are childish.
Sat 08/09/01 at 14:12
Regular
"not dead"
Turbonutter wrote:
> No matter how you dress it up, Nintendo are childish and that's
> undeniable. It will always have more childish games than not.

It really does depend on how you define childish.

Let's start here:

childˇish (chldsh)
adj.
Of, relating to, or suitable for a child or childhood: a high, childish voice; childish nightmares.

Well yes the majority of Nintendo's games are suitable for a child.

Marked by or indicating a lack of maturity; puerile: tired of your childish pranks.

No I'd have to disagree with this one when refering to the majority of Nintendo's games. The themes involved in many Nintendo games don't indicate a lack of maturity. In fact you could say that the games have matured from a simple run-and-jump status many years ago.

Not complicated; simple.

Anyone that says Nintendo games are simple has obviously never played a number of them all of the way through. The majority of Nintendo games are perfectly simple to get into, but with a steep learning curve, with later levels being very tough, and gaining all medals in the likes of Lylat wars is quite some challenge. Thankfully theres also the easy path for those less experienced games.

Affected mentally by old age; senile.

I think we can quite easily dismiss this one!

So looking at the definition of the word I think that it really is quite stupid to call Nintendo games childish, and I refer to the likes of Mario or banjo here, not any of the appaently more mature titles.

But hey, each to there own. I see absolutely no appeal in realistic racers, even though many people are, I'd rather play a game set in fantasy, and if that's going to be dismissed as childish then fine, buy you're wrong.
Sat 08/09/01 at 11:56
Regular
Turbo, that stereotype is as true as the one about the Playstation being a sequel only machine.

Anyway, Nintendo are more mature than most companies because they try to sell their game as being something special while many other companies go for the "cool mainstream" look in order to get more sales.

That's why Nintendo's cartoony games stick out more than most.
And that's why people label Nintendo as a kiddies machine.
Sat 08/09/01 at 02:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No matter how you dress it up, Nintendo are childish and that's undeniable. It will always have more childish games than not.
Fri 07/09/01 at 15:35
Regular
That's like saying that PSO isn't a Sega game because the Sonic Team has broken away.

Basically, Rare games are published by Nintendo, for Nintendo systems exclusively and they work together a lot.

Plenty of technical experience is shared between the two.

What they meant when saying Nintendo games were games that were exclusively on a Nintendo system and were published/supported by Nintendo.
Fri 07/09/01 at 14:41
Regular
"touch`e"
howdy folks lt me here put ya right.

Perfect dark and cbf are not nintendo's own games the are actually made by rare.

Also nintendo games have mainly been aimed at the 10-15 age range.
So does that settle this ere arguement
Fri 07/09/01 at 14:35
Who knows? wrote:
> Nintendo are NOT childish. Just look at the Turok Series, Perfect
> Dark and Conker´s Bad Fur Day.

Well, not ONE of the games you have mentioned is made by ninyt... PD and CBFD are Rare- a company ninty owns shares in, but no more than that (ie, theyy do not control what type of games rare make)
Turok is made by iguana (now bought by accliam?)... nothing to do with ninty!

"I have another thing to say: I agree that Nintendo make a lot of Child games, but they are all very good. It doesn´t matter when you got Platforms like Donkey Kong and Banjo-Tooie."

Again, not a single one of the games mentioned is made by ninty... all are made by second party game makers.

What we are discussing is whether Ninty's games are childish... after all, they cannot be accountable for 3rd parties.

Anyway, I think nintendo make lots of FAMILY games that anyopne can play, but they also make more mature games like Zelda. To say "all ninyt games are childish" is waaayyyyy ott!
Fri 07/09/01 at 14:33
Anyone who says Nintendo's games are childish are missing the point. Nintendo just have the pre-teen market cornered, that's all, so there are a lot of games out there for the N64 aimed in that direction as opposed to the 20+ market.

However, anyone who argues that there aren't any adult orientated games out there should take a GOOD look around. If you have say 30 games in your current PSX or PS2 or Dreamcast collection, you could quite easily replace every one of them with an adult orientated N64 game and game happily ever after.

Another way of looking at it is the demographic of the gaming market. Assume that 60% of game players are pre-teen, and then you'll realise that Nintendo aim at this market for sound financial reasons more than anything else.
Fri 07/09/01 at 14:27
Regular
"touch`e"
yeahmost of nintendo's games r ok
Fri 07/09/01 at 14:25
i like my nintendo it is rellay good fun i like the faces on the people they are like thecartoons on the telly before my sister watches neybours i like playing mario i want to see the film that mario was in but my mummy says its not avery good and my daddy just makes me watch him in the bath when the cartoons are on

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.