GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Childish Nintendo."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/09/01 at 15:18
Regular
Nintendo's image towards the general public and gamers has always been a much talked about topic in the gaming world. Many say that Nintendo are a childrens company, and with all the many Pokemon games you would be pressed to argue against it.

Nintendo have had a childlike appearance since the family console the Nintendo Entertainment System. Back then they didn't see it as a problem because the games machines weren't powerful so the games were simple and effective...

...ever since those original classics they have continued along the same path which lead to the first consoles success. Choosing bright, colourful colours with cartoon-like characters for most of their releases.

Was this a bad choice? Representing games in that style for over ten years may have damaged the company in the release and life of the Nintendo64. The gamers that had grown up with the cartoon-like games would have moved on, they didn't want Banjo Kazooie or Diddy Kong Racing64 over Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil...was it a bad choice from Nintendo?

Overall. No. It wasn't a bad choice as last year saw Nintendo have one of their most profitable years in the market (maybe due to Pokemon). Nintendo have never denied being called a childish company, infact they rely on the superb originality and gameplay of their released to shut up the chants.

Real gamers out there will know that visuals aren't 'everything' in a game, they merely add to the fun, but maybe the child-like visuals are what should be kept in some games? I can't imagine Mario Kart64 with different characters, hell- imagine a lifelike Mario. It just wouldn't be the same.

The GameCube is where its going to be different. I feel Nintendo have learnt from the lessons of the Nintendo 64, and with many more companies backing the console this time around the choice for every gamer is going to be huge, an example of this is Metroid, which is already looking like an 18 rated game.

Yes, Nintendo still and probably will always have the child-like image, simply because that is very successful to them as a company, and they still make excellent games with that image. However, I do believe that Nintendo will now develop games for the all age gaming market.

The GameCube may be the start of something very promising indeed.

Thanks
er-no
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:18
Regular
"everyone says it"
Nintendo's image towards the general public and gamers has always been a much talked about topic in the gaming world. Many say that Nintendo are a childrens company, and with all the many Pokemon games you would be pressed to argue against it.

Nintendo have had a childlike appearance since the family console the Nintendo Entertainment System. Back then they didn't see it as a problem because the games machines weren't powerful so the games were simple and effective...

...ever since those original classics they have continued along the same path which lead to the first consoles success. Choosing bright, colourful colours with cartoon-like characters for most of their releases.

Was this a bad choice? Representing games in that style for over ten years may have damaged the company in the release and life of the Nintendo64. The gamers that had grown up with the cartoon-like games would have moved on, they didn't want Banjo Kazooie or Diddy Kong Racing64 over Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil...was it a bad choice from Nintendo?

Overall. No. It wasn't a bad choice as last year saw Nintendo have one of their most profitable years in the market (maybe due to Pokemon). Nintendo have never denied being called a childish company, infact they rely on the superb originality and gameplay of their released to shut up the chants.

Real gamers out there will know that visuals aren't 'everything' in a game, they merely add to the fun, but maybe the child-like visuals are what should be kept in some games? I can't imagine Mario Kart64 with different characters, hell- imagine a lifelike Mario. It just wouldn't be the same.

The GameCube is where its going to be different. I feel Nintendo have learnt from the lessons of the Nintendo 64, and with many more companies backing the console this time around the choice for every gamer is going to be huge, an example of this is Metroid, which is already looking like an 18 rated game.

Yes, Nintendo still and probably will always have the child-like image, simply because that is very successful to them as a company, and they still make excellent games with that image. However, I do believe that Nintendo will now develop games for the all age gaming market.

The GameCube may be the start of something very promising indeed.

Thanks
er-no
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:30
Regular
"i'll destroy you al"
True, the games were clearly aimed towards younger kids but what about games like conkers bad fur da ,that was obviously aimed at adults so was perfect dark and a whole bunch of other games that i can't think of.

So perhaps nintendo didn't really think of who was going to play the n64 games only for a small handfull of games.
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
The two games you just mentioned were both created by Rare.

Perfect Dark was a 1st person shooter and was called the sequel to Goldeneye, it was released with a rating although because of the hype that built up around it nearly every N64 is not without its copy of PD. This 1st person shooter had to be a game without the cartoon like imagery because it wouldn't have appealed to anyone with that after the likes of Goldeneye.

CBFD was released by Rare because that was their answer to every critic calling them 'childish developers', so they combined their own style of characters with a rude simply disgusting game.

Thats those two.
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:40
Regular
"i'll destroy you al"
OH i thought you meant the games in general sorry.
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:45
Regular
"everyone says it"
Cheatguru 2 wrote:
> OH i thought you meant the games in general sorry.

If I had meant the games in general then their would have been no point to the topic, it was directed at Nintendo only games, I did mention other games like Metroid which are exclusive for Nintendo...

:)
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:46
Regular
"i'll destroy you al"
ok sorry :)
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:46
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Er-No's topics read about 1000 times better if you listen to James Brown whilst reading them... so play that funky music white/black/asian/hispanic boy and read on!

In my opinion Nintendo's image hasn't done them any major favours with regards to gamers opinions. But can Nintendo have a kiddie image with such good graphics...?

Let me explain.

You've all seen Mario Sunshine and the graphics in the game. And you'd all say Mario was a kiddies franchise, yes? But Mario doesn't look kiddie on the Gamecube. The textures and the mapping and even Mario himself look more mature.

So I think, Er-No is right. Nintendo's image will help them through this next round.

You see, I kinda think that Sony and Microsoft will try too hard to make games realistic but to no avail... Nintendo on the other hand will rake in the adult gamers who will soon realise that the boundries and chains that are so abundantly strewn around 'realistic games' can be broken just by the type of graphics used in game.

Look at Zelda, the comic factor in the game seems to be huge... people will love it! But how could Nintendo have benefitted from a better looking Ocarina of Time.

Different graphics open up the door of opportunity that leads to a different storyline... a different storyline means a new game entirely, because the graphics will have changed as well. (Not that you can't have a different storyline with the same graphics)

Nintendo know what they're doing.
Thu 06/09/01 at 15:55
Regular
Yup, The Game has found the problem. The N64 couldn't do textures very well at all, which meant that many things looked very basic and kiddy.

The Gamecube, however, can.
Thu 06/09/01 at 16:01
Regular
Mario and Fox look much more detailed and less cute on the pictures of Smash Brothers Melee.
Thu 06/09/01 at 17:00
Do you remember back in the days of the SNES when Mortal Kombat was released for the first time? Nintendo kicked up such a fuss at the amount of graphic violence in the game that they ultimately forced the developers to change the colour of the blood from red to transparent - so they could fog it off to the parents as 'sweat'.

It was this kind of thing that annoyed me because at the time I was in my teenage stage and was looking for more grown up games to play. The image I got of Nintendo was one of a company who were always scared about parents phoning them up and complaining about their games, and thus they geared themselves to be more 'family-friendly'. I've noticed this a bit more recently with the N64 Zelda games - I thought Majora's Mask was made to be more kiddie like because the Ocarina of Time scared too many of the little buggers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.