GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty'.
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:50
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Come on then...it's obvious we all went out and bought it today (okay, or got it delivered smartarses), so what do we all think?

I'm playing it on the 3rd difficulty setting (i.e. the one before the hardest) and am steaming through it. Currently on mission 10 by my count - the second one as a member of the British forces.

Yank section was OK I 'spose - over way too quickly. Car chase section was nice but nothing yet compares to Omaha beach landings from Allied Assault.

Yes, I'm thinking this game isn't going to be as remarkable as Allied Assault at the mo - basically more of the same, without the kick-bottom memorable scenes. Still, I'm not yet half way through the game, so I shall reserve final judgement until I've finished it (which at this rate will be within the hour). :)
Sat 08/11/03 at 11:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Microchips wrote:
In some aspects, it's far better than AA,
> but in others I think AA still has it.
---

Fair enough, for me though COD beats AA hands down, simply because it doesn't have any levels that are staggeringly average FPS scenarios.
I bought AA expecting the Normandy beaches to be the start and to go from there, based on the demos I'd played.
But you start in Africa. Granted, it's good fun but I thought "Meh, I'm bored with running alone shooting random lone enemies in groups of 1-3".
The whole Africa campaign, then having to nonce about in U-Boat pens, again doing the "You vs Entire Armies by yourself" FPS thing that has been the staple of my gaming diet since dawn began.
Normandy excelled because it created an atmosphere of chaos, fury and unpredictability. You and loads of men struggling through, constantly being given orders to carry out to help.
You felt part of a team instead of Lone Hero-Man.
And that continued through the Nebelwerfer levels, clearing the Dutch towns and the massive city - you were part of a huge war, you and a couple of others.

COD is the Normandy Beach landing level, all the way through except for maybe one or two levels (I'm thinking The Chateau). You and squad members, loads and loads of soldiers attacking, tanks being called in, aerial bombardments all around...it's never what was AA for the most part of
You + 3 enemies - Clear room & move on to next room.
You + another 3 enemies - clear room & move on to next room

Have no idea about multiplayer, I don't bother with that. But when I do, Wolfenstein still has the best online component I've played in a loooong time.

Call of Duty - It's the Normandy levels from AA all the way through.
And wait until you reach the Battle for Stalingrad...that is furious, immense, overpowering and awesome. Trying to get up the riverbank, being strafed by Stukkas, raked by MG42 fire, your own commanders shooting at you if you go backwards....one of the best set-pieces since Normandy.
Sat 08/11/03 at 12:09
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> Call of Duty - It's the Normandy levels from AA all the way through.

Fully agree. I've only played the demos, but so far I'd say its the most accomplished FPS I've ever played.

Stunning.
Sat 08/11/03 at 12:14
Regular
Bloody hell.

You guys show passion for this game. Immense passion.

*buys*
Sat 08/11/03 at 12:41
Regular
Damn you Goatboy! You make the game sound so good, you're tempting me to leave my coursework and play COD, bah!
Sat 08/11/03 at 12:42
Regular
Goddamn why can't they make it longer!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sat 08/11/03 at 12:46
Regular
Around how many hours is it?
Sat 08/11/03 at 13:55
Regular
They still haven't learnt from MOHAA in terms of game longetivity.. oh well.
Sat 08/11/03 at 14:50
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Just taking a break now- reached the first British level on Regular setting.

I take back what I said. Call Of Duty really impressed me the last two hours or so.

What really amazed me was the fact that i started to look out for my squad members. I was so used to the AA-style 'squad' missions (Read as: Squad all die at set time). But in COD you're allowed to keep them alive. And I think it's fantastic.

Also- the weapons are far more realistic than MOH- this is definately a good thing.

And finally- the automatic Sniper! Mmm.

That's it for now, more later.
Sat 08/11/03 at 15:05
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Having played, and become extremely annoyed/bored with the last Medal of Honor expansion pack, Breakthrough, a game where I actually had to stop myself from inserting my keyboard into the monitor it was so bloody frustrating, I find that Call of Duty not only succeeds Allied Assault in every possible way, but is sure in line for game of the year.

This is the best game I've played of 2003, not once was I annoyed or bored to death with the constant repetitive action, the level design is superb, set-pieces are amazing and team mates actually have decent A.I. so your not constantly suffering from Friendly Fire, it truly is an amazing game. Yes it's short, but Christ if you don't buy the game because of a flaw like that you'll denying yourself one of the best War based action games around.

EA are going to have to pull of something pretty damn spectacular to top this, and that actually means going back to the drawing board and doing something new as apposed to repackaging the same game they've been doing since the original MOH on the PSone. In the meantime I hope Infinity Ward get to work on a sequel, because this is one game I'd love to see turned into a franchise.
Sat 08/11/03 at 16:42
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
So it is good but short ? Not worth full price then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.