GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty'.
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:50
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Come on then...it's obvious we all went out and bought it today (okay, or got it delivered smartarses), so what do we all think?

I'm playing it on the 3rd difficulty setting (i.e. the one before the hardest) and am steaming through it. Currently on mission 10 by my count - the second one as a member of the British forces.

Yank section was OK I 'spose - over way too quickly. Car chase section was nice but nothing yet compares to Omaha beach landings from Allied Assault.

Yes, I'm thinking this game isn't going to be as remarkable as Allied Assault at the mo - basically more of the same, without the kick-bottom memorable scenes. Still, I'm not yet half way through the game, so I shall reserve final judgement until I've finished it (which at this rate will be within the hour). :)
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:50
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Come on then...it's obvious we all went out and bought it today (okay, or got it delivered smartarses), so what do we all think?

I'm playing it on the 3rd difficulty setting (i.e. the one before the hardest) and am steaming through it. Currently on mission 10 by my count - the second one as a member of the British forces.

Yank section was OK I 'spose - over way too quickly. Car chase section was nice but nothing yet compares to Omaha beach landings from Allied Assault.

Yes, I'm thinking this game isn't going to be as remarkable as Allied Assault at the mo - basically more of the same, without the kick-bottom memorable scenes. Still, I'm not yet half way through the game, so I shall reserve final judgement until I've finished it (which at this rate will be within the hour). :)
Fri 07/11/03 at 21:01
Regular
I've got it but I haven't had time to play it yet. First impressions on it tommorow :)
Fri 07/11/03 at 23:45
Regular
Single player is supposed to be easy...
Sat 08/11/03 at 00:03
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
Play it on the hardest setting then. Thats what I do, I play a game on Medium and if it's too easy, delete my saves and start on the next difficulty.
Sat 08/11/03 at 03:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I like it a lot more than Allied Assault.
A.A is cool from the Normandy Beach landings, right up until the snow.
But it's 95% you alone shooting from room to room.
Call of Duty is you and squads of men interacting with each other.
There's very little of the tedious/predictable "Go from room to room shooting opponents by yourself until you reach the end of the level".
That was Half-Life 6 years ago and very little moves on.

Call of Duty, in my opinion, beats Allied Assault hands down for atmosphere, graphics, sound & immersion.
It's screaming mortars, whizzing bullets and the endless roar of gunfire for all but a couple of levels, large outside areas with constant chaos and fury all around you.
It's a wee bit longer than Allied Assault too. Started playing at 9:30pm, stopped about 2am and I'm on about the 3rd Russian mission (after taking Red Square).

The American missions are superb. Like the Nebelwerfer/town levels of A.A without the frustrating sniper death/learn position/kill him/next sniper death/learn position/kil him etc.
The British missions are pretty cool too, defending the bridge was awesome (if stupidly hard) and shooting the Stukka's down ruled.
The Russian missions are, hands down, some of the best levels/set pieces I've played. I personally think the 1st Russian level is better than Normandy from Allied Assault.
The approach in the boats, being attacked by planes and mortars, being shoved along and given bullets but no gun...stunning.

Allied Assault is good for about 40% of it's duration, from Normandy to Snow, the rest is tedious sneak/shoot/reload FPS normalness.
Call of Duty feels, for a complete civvy with no experience, pretty close to what I imagine war to be - chaos, confusion, ear-shattering noise constantly, not being able to hear your commander clearly, bullets flying about, crawling from sandbag to sandbag.

Allied Assault 7/10 - Purely for the Normandy/Nebelwerfer/Town levels.
Call of Duty 9/10 - Only criticism is the length, but I'll be replaying like a madman, same as I am doing with Max Payne 2.

No idea about Multiplayer, because that bores me to tears.
Sat 08/11/03 at 09:20
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I like it very much. Having been a MOH fan for ages, I think it compares incredibly well. In some aspects, it's far better than AA, but in others I think AA still has it. For instance, in Multiplayer, when you die you get to view both sides- not just your own. SO in matches this will prove difficualt, see what I mean?
Sat 08/11/03 at 09:34
Regular
"Teal'c"
It didn't come today. It's always nice when you don't get the game you ordered and everyone else is saying it's great. Oh yes.
Sat 08/11/03 at 10:50
Regular
Lol! AJ also ordered from SR and his copy didn't come.
Sat 08/11/03 at 10:54
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
neither did mine. Although I did order it at 11:30pm on thursday night without the extra 60p first class. I usually always add it on. But for some reason I didn't. Now I have to go to work ALL day monday wondering about how much fun I coulda have playing it on Sat and sun. Oh well, it's Planetside for me now.
Sat 08/11/03 at 11:00
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Always trying to save the 60p and now look where it got you. (great name by the way)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.