GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty'.
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:50
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Come on then...it's obvious we all went out and bought it today (okay, or got it delivered smartarses), so what do we all think?

I'm playing it on the 3rd difficulty setting (i.e. the one before the hardest) and am steaming through it. Currently on mission 10 by my count - the second one as a member of the British forces.

Yank section was OK I 'spose - over way too quickly. Car chase section was nice but nothing yet compares to Omaha beach landings from Allied Assault.

Yes, I'm thinking this game isn't going to be as remarkable as Allied Assault at the mo - basically more of the same, without the kick-bottom memorable scenes. Still, I'm not yet half way through the game, so I shall reserve final judgement until I've finished it (which at this rate will be within the hour). :)
Wed 12/11/03 at 19:41
Regular
Yeah, I've also been playing the first few levels :) It truly is a great game. You're never safe, someone will always pop out of nowhere and start shooting you. Whoever said that you eventually start trying to save your team mates was right. You get so involved that instead of proceding and planting the explosives you come back to help out your team mates. Absolutely brilliant.

That mission where you in the car was complete madness, I loved it :D Scared the crap outta me it was a dead end! Ah well, can't wait for the later missions :)
Wed 12/11/03 at 19:07
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Just played through the first few levels before I got kicked of the PC. Dad needs to do work but I know that now he will be playing it himself.

Brilliant game and always shooting somwhere or something going on that captures what being at war is like.

Look forward to playing through this game
Sun 09/11/03 at 18:52
Regular
For the record- It acheived 91% in PCGamer.
Sun 09/11/03 at 17:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Completed it yesterday, and all I can say is more please. Loved every minute of it and will be going back ASAP on the Veteran difficulty.

The ending was great, a far cry from the "...Was that it?" conclusion in Allied assault, the last assault by Russian troops on the German capital, fighting through ruined streets eventually fighting to the last stronghold, it actually makes you feel like you've achieved something after playing the game and it makes up for the lack of any story of any kind.
Sun 09/11/03 at 11:54
Regular
After lunch I'll get stuck in on this game :)
Sun 09/11/03 at 10:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Jonathan Nash wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> Really nice to be hiding behind a
> wall and see one of your team mates get shot and killed right next
> to
> you.
>
> Sick..dude..

:) What I meant is it really does give you a great sense of being in a war situation. The gun fire going off every second is pretty deafening, but thats what it would be like in a war. I think that Call Of Duty has captured the essence of what fighting in WW2 would be like, better than Medal of Honor.
Sun 09/11/03 at 02:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Belldandy wrote:
> So it is good but short ? Not worth full price then.
--

I think the reason it feels so short is that you sit in one go and hammer it.
Took me, all told, probably around 8 or 9hrs. That was from 9pm-2am without a break, and then three hours or so this afternoon.
I remember people playing MGS2 and going for record times of under 2hrs etc.
If you play for a couple hours, it's going to last you. But it's *that* good you get greedy and play through in marathon sessions.

But, as with Max Payne 2, it's of such decent quality that replay is essential, to experience it again.
Because the 1st time through, you don't stop to appreciate anything - you're too busy trying to stay in one piece.
Like somebody said below, I've never played a PC game that conveys the sheer ferocity and howling aggression of a war. It's just a wall of machine-gun fire noise, bombardments, shouting, explosions etc for 95% of the game.

Having completed it, the only levels that are mildly calm (as in you have a few seconds to yourself to inch along corridors/rooms) are the dam level, the chateau & the sewers.
The rest of it is, action/noise/atmosphere wise, the Omaha Beach landing level from Medal of Honour.
The levels that stand out for me?

The English bridge-defending - you are just smashed non-stop for 10 mins by machine-guns/tanks/mortars, several times I found myself ducking from bullets whizzing on the quad-speakers I've got.
The Russian missions - from the initial boat-landing, through the taking of Red Square to the storming of the Reichstag. Including one where you have to take and then defend a 4 story building. Jesus is that tough, hundreds of men coming at you from every single direction, without break. And just in case that's not enough, you have tanks pummeling you should you go near a window.

If you don't buy this because it's "only" 8-9hrs if you play in huge, breakless sessions then you're missing one of the best WWII themed shooters, and certainly one of the most impressive PC games this year so far.
Sun 09/11/03 at 00:26
Regular
Heh true though apparently online its crap.
Sat 08/11/03 at 23:28
Regular
"Teal'c"
adrian wrote:
> Really nice to be hiding behind a
> wall and see one of your team mates get shot and killed right next to
> you.

Sick..dude..
Sat 08/11/03 at 23:02
Regular
Ah yes, I'm gonna play this tommorow, coursework is nearly all done :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.