GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top Spin - Missing something ??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Top Spin'.
Thu 13/11/03 at 22:37
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I've been playing Top Spin quite a lot, but somethings just really bugging me - that being that all the buttons, although supposedly executing different shots, all do the same thing !

The only different one is the lob. I get sod all bend on the slice shot except if I'm serving and as for the top spin ball, um, utter crud.
At best, all the slice and top spin shots do, is go slower accross the court, giving my opponent plenty more time to get accross to return it. Plus another thing I've noticed is that no matter how hard I slam the ball back - the opponent almost always has more than enough time to run accross to return - really gets on my bloody nerves.

My training is fully done, yet my shots seem to be pretty crud and weak (and yes I do hold the button down to add more power). I made my character more on the technical side, expecting to base things more around trickier shots rather than power, but I might as well have just gone for power cause I'm just not getting any decent shots at all.
Am I missing something somewhere ? I really hope so cause otherwise its just a case of really sticking with the normal return cause its the only thing that gets results. Hate how any variation has to be put down to bloody risk shots.
You either try hammering it down or tapping it over the net, but the slightest balls up in stopping the line at the right time as you're running around and of course the whole thing backfires.
Would be nice to have more thought and skill envolved rather than taking risk shots to break the dead lock.

Been trying all kinds of ways to add bend and stuff to my other shots but my character seems to just pass it to the opponent rather than put the ball past him. I'm managing to win matches, but at the same time this will only go so far.

Would help if the training in the game was actually helpful rather than just "Hit these targets within 1 minute ! GO !!!"
Anyway, guess I'll go online for a little while and lose. Shoulda named my character Swan - he loves diving for every shot - gets on my short and curlies.
Thu 13/11/03 at 22:37
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I've been playing Top Spin quite a lot, but somethings just really bugging me - that being that all the buttons, although supposedly executing different shots, all do the same thing !

The only different one is the lob. I get sod all bend on the slice shot except if I'm serving and as for the top spin ball, um, utter crud.
At best, all the slice and top spin shots do, is go slower accross the court, giving my opponent plenty more time to get accross to return it. Plus another thing I've noticed is that no matter how hard I slam the ball back - the opponent almost always has more than enough time to run accross to return - really gets on my bloody nerves.

My training is fully done, yet my shots seem to be pretty crud and weak (and yes I do hold the button down to add more power). I made my character more on the technical side, expecting to base things more around trickier shots rather than power, but I might as well have just gone for power cause I'm just not getting any decent shots at all.
Am I missing something somewhere ? I really hope so cause otherwise its just a case of really sticking with the normal return cause its the only thing that gets results. Hate how any variation has to be put down to bloody risk shots.
You either try hammering it down or tapping it over the net, but the slightest balls up in stopping the line at the right time as you're running around and of course the whole thing backfires.
Would be nice to have more thought and skill envolved rather than taking risk shots to break the dead lock.

Been trying all kinds of ways to add bend and stuff to my other shots but my character seems to just pass it to the opponent rather than put the ball past him. I'm managing to win matches, but at the same time this will only go so far.

Would help if the training in the game was actually helpful rather than just "Hit these targets within 1 minute ! GO !!!"
Anyway, guess I'll go online for a little while and lose. Shoulda named my character Swan - he loves diving for every shot - gets on my short and curlies.
Thu 13/11/03 at 22:39
"slightlyshortertagl"
I'm getting it soon...

I have only just discovered VJ and Midtown Madness, y'see :-D
Thu 13/11/03 at 22:44
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Right, I consulted GamesTM and they rated this game 9/10 - better than Virtua Tennis which I find hard to believe.

Apparently you have to use the triggers to bring up a moving gauge and release the trigger while the pointer is in the sweet spot in order to play the shot successfully. The game incorporates a ITZ (In The Zone) meter that rewards your successful play by ensuing your character gets more balls in and is more successful. Kind of like in game form, so the better you play, the more chance you have of getting shots in.

That's all I can say - I don't have the game. Yet.
Thu 13/11/03 at 23:06
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. There's not a lot of variation. Every time I've gone online, I've been whupped. But I still like it.

Is everyone on Xbox Live freakishly good? And every time I've gone to search for matches, it's said there are none ready and I have to create my own. Is this normal? It's been EVERY time.
Thu 13/11/03 at 23:06
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Thats exactly the problem with it. Everything relies on bloody risk taking. Plus I've obviously picked the wrong "strengths" for my character cause he moves like a skank cripple. If I'd known what this game was like when it comes to this kind of stuff I would have just picked power and stuff like everyone else with half decent character seems to.

Just gonna cut my losses and give up trying with this game now I think.
Thu 13/11/03 at 23:15
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Or start again with a new career? I picked power stuff, because that's what the people I played against seemed to pick. Thought it was cool that people were giving me tips as they were beating me though... :)

Might be on later, what's your Gamertag? Mine's obvious.
Thu 13/11/03 at 23:42
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Mines as obvious as yours mate. ;-) Just take off the 78. ;-)

Guess I'll have to start again. Annoying though cause my character looks really good and stuff, but I haven't got much choice cause I simply can't compete online with him.

I'm off to bed now, but I'll probably get on over the weekend - just gotta get any motivation back to pick up Top Spin again at the moment after leaving a dent in my cupboard door due to my controller having an unfortunate accident.

Thinking of picking up Amped 2 tomorrow. Gotta fight temptation when it comes to buying many games though after my credit card company decided to up my credit limit from 2000 to 4000. I think they like me. :-)
Or maybe they just know a spending spree prone mug when they see one.

Me thinks the latter.
Thu 13/11/03 at 23:43
Regular
I am off to pick Amped 2 up tomorrow after shifting Soldier of Fortune 2. To be honest I can't drag myself away from Rainbow Six 3. Played it for around 30 hours since last Friday which is a lot considering I don't usually get home until around 5:30pm.
Thu 13/11/03 at 23:48
Regular
What games have you got Mr. Snuggly?
Fri 14/11/03 at 00:44
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Top Spin is the only Live game I've got. Games like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six don't do it for me. I shall be buying Project Gotham 2 and maybe Counter-Strike when they're out. I've got a whole bunch of other non-Live games too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.