GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top Spin - Missing something ??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Top Spin'.
Thu 13/11/03 at 22:37
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I've been playing Top Spin quite a lot, but somethings just really bugging me - that being that all the buttons, although supposedly executing different shots, all do the same thing !

The only different one is the lob. I get sod all bend on the slice shot except if I'm serving and as for the top spin ball, um, utter crud.
At best, all the slice and top spin shots do, is go slower accross the court, giving my opponent plenty more time to get accross to return it. Plus another thing I've noticed is that no matter how hard I slam the ball back - the opponent almost always has more than enough time to run accross to return - really gets on my bloody nerves.

My training is fully done, yet my shots seem to be pretty crud and weak (and yes I do hold the button down to add more power). I made my character more on the technical side, expecting to base things more around trickier shots rather than power, but I might as well have just gone for power cause I'm just not getting any decent shots at all.
Am I missing something somewhere ? I really hope so cause otherwise its just a case of really sticking with the normal return cause its the only thing that gets results. Hate how any variation has to be put down to bloody risk shots.
You either try hammering it down or tapping it over the net, but the slightest balls up in stopping the line at the right time as you're running around and of course the whole thing backfires.
Would be nice to have more thought and skill envolved rather than taking risk shots to break the dead lock.

Been trying all kinds of ways to add bend and stuff to my other shots but my character seems to just pass it to the opponent rather than put the ball past him. I'm managing to win matches, but at the same time this will only go so far.

Would help if the training in the game was actually helpful rather than just "Hit these targets within 1 minute ! GO !!!"
Anyway, guess I'll go online for a little while and lose. Shoulda named my character Swan - he loves diving for every shot - gets on my short and curlies.
Wed 19/11/03 at 23:35
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Woohoo - three games played tonight, two wins one loss! Now only 7,500th! Climb the ladder Monty, climb the ladder.
Wed 19/11/03 at 13:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I would have paid to have that moment recorded for posterity
Wed 19/11/03 at 12:03
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> Really?
> Wolfenstein used to be rammed to the gills with Germans too. It felt
> odd shooting Nazis that were controlled by German players. It started
> doing things to my head, hence I stopped.
>
> Well, that and enough lag to choke a mule.

Hehehheehe, reminds me of a story my brother once told me.

They were playing a tabletop wargame in Munich where he worked. There was a Brit there (him), and German and a French lad. After a heated engagement, my brothers forces were crushed by the German lad, who then proceeded to gooosestep around the table doing the Nazi salute and finished with the phrase "For zou englender, ze var is OVER!"

Shocked looks and dropped jaws from all parties. Especially the German lad.
Wed 19/11/03 at 11:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Really?
Wolfenstein used to be rammed to the gills with Germans too. It felt odd shooting Nazis that were controlled by German players. It started doing things to my head, hence I stopped.

Well, that and enough lag to choke a mule.
Wed 19/11/03 at 11:39
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
For some reason, they're all German too.
Wed 19/11/03 at 11:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Heh, welcome to online gaming.

Where opponents are superhumanly good (this means they are either cheating or do nothing else all day except watch Buffy & X-Files) and do annoying things when you lose.
And you will lose.
Time and time again.

Still, at least you get to enjoy sitting there in your room with a headset on playing tennis over the internet with annoying goobers.
Wed 19/11/03 at 00:36
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
GRRRAAAGGHHH

This is the most frustrating game I think I've ever played... it's those utter morons who insist on furiously bashing the attitude button on every point that really *%&$ me off. I've been noticing a lot of lag lately too, points where you just seem to run right into the ball, leaving your opponent with a really easy shot to finish you off. Very, very annoying.
Tue 18/11/03 at 22:45
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well I've started again and I've been building up my character with a bigger lean towards power, etc. Will test him out online soon I suppose.

Otherwise Snuggly - I'll meet up with you online and we can have a more level game while slagging off all the downfalls we see about it.
My controller has already hit the cupboard twice with online competition - mainly from occasional lag that means I'm aced on serves before I even see the opponent lift their racket.

As far as my success online goes, I'm around 50/50. I win around half and I lose around half.
I just don't think its as strategic as I was hoping.
Tue 18/11/03 at 20:31
Regular
Top Spin looks amazing.

Really hankering for some tennis action - Virtua Tennis 2 and Mario Tennis were both excellent but there's been nothing since.
Tue 18/11/03 at 20:26
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Cool. Don't take it the wrong way if I don't add you to any lists, I
> didn't really get Live to make new friends. Nothing personal. Same
> goes for the other guy, DreamWarPerson.

Oh well :p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.