GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is PS2 gonna have an internet connection ..............."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/09/01 at 13:41
Regular
Is the PS2 gonna be able to connect to the internet soon?
Wed 05/09/01 at 13:10
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

>It might be wrong though! The site said that it wasn't >available in my area until very recently, though it has >been available for several months! Best thing to do is >ask in the local NTL shop, if you have one.

Never even knew that NTL had shops! I might give them a ring but I'm sure they are correct.

>You may also face a similar problem with BT, as you - >apparently - need to live within a certain distance from a >certain type of digital telephone exchange.

Yes this is true, when my mate had his installed BT came round to do a survey and said that he was on the borderline of 3 miles from the Exchange, I live nearer to the exchange than him but it's still twice as much as NTL!!
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:55
"High polygon count"
Jive wrote:
> Well I was thinking about getting it but as I've just been to NTL's
> website and put my postcode in to see if it's available......doh,
> "sorry, we're not in that area yet" and my mates just said
> "fat chance of getting that for ages"

It might be wrong though! The site said that it wasn't available in my area until very recently, though it has been available for several months! Best thing to do is ask in the local NTL shop, if you have one.

You may also face a similar problem with BT, as you - apparently - need to live within a certain distance from a certain type of digital telephone exchange.
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:52
"High polygon count"
Jive wrote:
> by the way how fast is your NTL connection compared to
> ADSL, I've been thinking about getting it installed. My mate has
> ADSL but he's already had a couple of days offline due to the
> service not working through BT technical faults?

My connection is 512k downstream, 128k upstream - but NTL also do a slower, cheaper 64k connection - not a lot faster than a standard modem, but at least the dataflow is a constant 64k and doesn't degrade.

> Is it reliable?

Very reliable. I've had just one day so far where I couldn't connect, and this was due to a problem affecting the whole Northampton area.

> Can you run ICQ through it and do they allow you to host your own
> website through it as well??

ICQ and all the messenger services run through it just fine. You can't, however, operate your web site through it, as NTL's conditions state that you cannot run a web server, among other things.

The NTL site states:

"Customers will not be allowed to run http servers or ftp servers using the cable modem. We also reserve the right to stop other types of servers.

Unfortunately due to the way in which a cable modem connects to the Internet a popular site running on one customer’s cable modem will impact the service for other users.

As part of the cable modem service 10MB of web space is provided on one of our dedicated servers."

Check out other questions at:

http://www.askntl.com/locales/gb/ en/broadband/qa/qanda.asp?type=hispeed-internet#84

According to a friend who has just had BT's ADSL installed, you *can* run web servers on their system.

Obviously the choice you make is up to you. Personally, I've no need to run web or FTP servers, so NTL is fine for me. I also get my phone service and digital TV through NTL, so it's better and easier for me to keep everything in one place.
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:43
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Well I was thinking about getting it but as I've just been to NTL's website and put my postcode in to see if it's available......doh, "sorry, we're not in that area yet" and my mates just said "fat chance of getting that for ages"

Oh well just have to wait then.
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:40
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

While both PS2 and Xbox will be able to connect straight away using standard modems, broadband will not be available
'out of the box'. So in both cases, broadband connection will incur extra cost in the form of a cable modem. But this is *not* the fault of Sony or Microsoft - it's just the way things work.

Thanks for sorting that out Wookiee, by the way how fast is your NTL connection compared to ADSL, I've been thinking about getting it installed. My mate has ADSL but he's already had a couple of days offline due to the service not working through BT technical faults?

Is it reliable? Can you run ICQ through it and do they allow you to host your own website through it as well??
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:31
"High polygon count"
adrian wrote:
> Well NTL rip you off because Iam pretty sure you can use a
> Base 10 Ethernet network card which does the job.

No!

I have an NTL cable modem.

The cable modem actually connects to the cable network, providing the connection. The Ethernet card connects your PC to the cable modem.

With NTL's setup, you don't need an Ethernet card, though - depending on your PC and OS, you can connect it via USB.

The Ethernet connection (which PS2 and Xbox will have) cannot connect directly to the cable network; you WILL need to have a cable modem of some description. The exact set-up will obviously depend on your broadband supplier.

While both PS2 and Xbox will be able to connect straight away using standard modems, broadband will not be available 'out of the box'. So in both cases, broadband connection will incur extra cost in the form of a cable modem. But this is *not* the fault of Sony or Microsoft - it's just the way things work.
Wed 05/09/01 at 11:02
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
adrian wrote:

>Well NTL rip you off because Iam pretty sure you can use a
>Base 10 Ethernet network card which does the job. Thats >what the PS2 will have. When you talk about cable you dont >really say modems as they arent modems. Modems are only >for phone lines, when you get to ISDN and above they are >adpaters as they work differently to a modem, as they dont >have to convert analouge to digital.

Didn't realise this sorry, I haven't got NTL but did enquire about getting it that's where I got the price from and was only quoting what the sales people said....still I can see your point!

If it's only a 10mb ethernet card I think I'll nick one from work and stick that in my PS2....only joking :-)

I take it from your comment that ADSL works in the same way? My mate has got ADSL just recently but I haven't seen the connections....think I'll have to pay him another visit and have a look.
Tue 04/09/01 at 23:55
Regular
"accidental superher"
well most people don't go back for just one thing....
dunno about you
Tue 04/09/01 at 23:10
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Well of course people can go to Japan to get a cheaper Hard Drive...but think how much the tickets and hotel and travelcard or whatever will cost?Adds up doesnt it
Tue 04/09/01 at 22:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Jive wrote:
> £200 is extremley steep, 40gb IBM HD available for
> £92.

100gb Maxtor HD available including VAT for
> £235, I think Sony will have to drasticly cut their price to
> compete with the market or they could have a glut of spare HD on
> their shelves.

£40 for a high speed modem, that's not a bad
> price considering that a cable modem from NTL is about £150 to
> buy.

Well NTL rip you off because Iam pretty sure you can use a Base 10 Ethernet network card which does the job. Thats what the PS2 will have. When you talk about cable you dont really say modems as they arent modems. Modems are only for phone lines, when you get to ISDN and above they are adpaters as they work differently to a modem, as they dont have to convert analouge to digital.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.