GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halflife 2 may be available sooner than you think!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Fri 21/11/03 at 17:09
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
It was going to be released on September 30th. Then November 27th. Now it's being released in April. But some people have apparently got their grubby mitts on it!

Today I heard that someone had found the source code and also found some files somewhere, and made the actual game. I'm not promoting piracy here, but I was astounded at the news. However, it's only a rumor, so it may not be true. But if it is, people will have the game months before its release.

Well? :)
Sat 22/11/03 at 16:05
Regular
Lol! Wouldn't be surprised if he was :P
Sat 22/11/03 at 15:08
Regular
Pandemonium - Are you a developer?
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:43
Regular
Bah, now you've lot gone and made me pre-order it!
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:37
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Cyclone wrote:
> I want it much.

I'd cut a cpuple of fingers off for the final product (right hand, back two, so I can still use the mouse.) ;) ;) ;)

Right, server back up, time for the pub.
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:35
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I want it much.
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:32
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Cyclone wrote:
> I read a really cool thing;
>
> Valve AI programmers created a small part of that sweet looking city,
> stuck a walker in it and watched. Apparently it walked up to a
> bridge, looked at it and normally, AI would stop - there is no way
> around it in its own programming. The walker simply stopped down and
> went underneath - no set-up, no direct AI code to do so. It just did
> it to get somewhere.

The Striders legs are independant too. I saw my brother grab a radiator off a wall with the anti grav gun, and fire it at the strider. It hit, the body went back with the impact, and the damn thing stepped back and used its back leg to cusion the effect and keep its balance. He turned round to me and said "We did just see that didn't we?"
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I read a really cool thing;

Valve AI programmers created a small part of that sweet looking city, stuck a walker in it and watched. Apparently it walked up to a bridge, looked at it and normally, AI would stop - there is no way around it in its own programming. The walker simply stopped down and went underneath - no set-up, no direct AI code to do so. It just did it to get somewhere.
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:25
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Der Nazi wrote:
> It was going to be released on September 30th. Then November 27th. Now
> it's being released in April. But some people have apparently got
> their grubby mitts on it!
>
> Today I heard that someone had found the source code and also found
> some files somewhere, and made the actual game. I'm not promoting
> piracy here, but I was astounded at the news. However, it's only a
> rumor, so it may not be true. But if it is, people will have the game
> months before its release.
>
> Well? :)

I've played the compiled source code with the files, its basically the E3 showcase technology effects and demos (think the beach buggy sea level video available.) There are some parts of the game you can load from the console, but they are not finished AT ALL. Its a good showcase of how the game will actually run on your machine, but there is next to NO AI in it (cops, zombies and head crabs only, flying ship in the sea level just hovers there with no collision detection), no levels as such because they are all enclosed areas, missing textures (some are white and have "50% reflection" on them, the pistol has no textures), missing sounds, physics and enviroment effects, but DAMN, ITS GOOD.

Really, it is astounding. The ragdoll physics and integrated physics in general are fantastic.

The most impressive thing IMHO is the command interface. by pressing a key, you can command NPCs to move to areas, pick stuff up, or attack enemies. It gives a whole different level to the humble FPS.

Oh, the facial textures and expressions had my jaw on the floor. I'm a codie, and felt sick with envy. And the "strider" enemy. Sweet lord what a beast..................

I seriously urge people to get their order for the full product in ASAP. This game is going to have the same effect the original "Doom" did on the industry.

To quote a rival programmer from another company "I walked away feeling afraid by the advances Valve have made with this title, and realised just how primitive our product was"

Rightho, off on the lash.
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
How can they make Half Life 2?

They haven't got a clue what Valve wanted in it.
Sat 22/11/03 at 11:40
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I think they've held it back for a while since magazines gave it none too great reviews. So hopefully they're fixing it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.