GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Kart: Double Dash: Triple Rubbish"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario Kart Double Dash'.
Thu 27/11/03 at 17:34
Regular
"relocated"
What a huge disapppointment. It's so ordinary, so gimmicky, so devoid of skill, so boring and so uninspired.

I'm going to write a proper review of this game but I just had to get that off my chest.

It doesn't deserve to have the word 'Nintendo' on its box. If the Gamecube *is* the beginning of the end for Nintendo hardware then crappy, substandard games like this will be just as responsible as crappy, substandard ad campaigns.
Sat 29/11/03 at 11:14
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Honestly.
>
> In kernel's defense, I don't think there's a single person here who
> can honestly say they're not even the slightest bit disappointed with
> Double Dash. I mean, come on, it's obviously a rushed job.

I was disappointed when I first played it. A lot. But after a while I realised how to use the powerslide properly and I love it, multiplayer is especially great and even though battle is crap, I never played that on he N64 so I don't really care.

You've all been hyping it up too much. I always had my doubts about it being good and after Sunshine I never thought it'd be as good as Mario Kart 64. But it turns out it's better. That's why I love it.
Sat 29/11/03 at 11:11
Regular
"Booooom"
I think its one of the best games going for the GameCube, i dont really see why all you people are complaining about it....????
Sat 29/11/03 at 04:39
Regular
"davidmorris182@hotm"
Mario kart is a bad game and everyone knows it and i know as a big nintendo fan its hard to admit because ive been waiting so long for it. i love the cube as i did my n64,snes,nes and gameboy but Double Dash was way too easy. it takes a day to complete everything and the muilty player only lasted a few more days. Double Dash doesnt compare to Super Circuit on Gba which was much much better. i cant believe how easy 150 cc and mirror mode was. Nintendo need to take the hint that they sell millions of kidy games to 5 year olds but like me all there biggest fans who started playing games with a NES are atleast 18-20 years old and now we get shafted^. thanks for the thousands of pounds you spent on are games but sudenly we dont want to make you games any more??? its not hard to just add a super hard mode and slightly longer levels to games and they will be back on top. i guess as long as they have pokemon sales they dont need game sales. i dont wanna sound too hard on Nintendo as they are just a company so Zelda Master Quest was the best idea since the GC release and the Res Evil series and im sure res4 will be great. last friday night me and my friends where playing perfect dark and loving it so much, it seems better now no games come close to it and its so easy to get into.
Sat 29/11/03 at 00:39
Regular
Same here in fact I'd say I'm surprised how good and deep the game is.

There is so much more than meets the eye. I could be here all day talking about how great it is... in fact just take my review:

When Mario yells the initial “Nintendo WAHOO!” At the opening screen of the game you know that low Gamecube sales, the inability to keep key titles in the charts and new critical perceptions from their very own fan base has not managed to damage the ability of the mighty mighty N.

Out of their most popular titles emerges Mario, a plumber on a mission to restore the popularity of Nintendo. Armed with an incredible platform adventure and a collection of spin-off games that puts my Pokemon tally to shame Mario is back to shape the world. The most popular of said spin-off titles is the multi-million selling multiplayer maniac that is Mario Kart. A game that has spawned millions of shoddy copycats and now entering its fourth incarnation. Yep Mario Kart is back to show the world how it is done! And so Nintendo have decided it is time they shook things up a bit.

How have they accomplished this? Well obviously the sequel tradition of “more” applies freely to this, more characters (with Diddy making his long overdue re-appearance), more multiplayer modes and more levels (in the battle mode anyway). But Nintendo are not ones to shy away from revolution and have added what can only be described as a second character. Double Dash!!, as it likes to be called, incorporates a two person per Kart experience. Player A drives whilst Player B uses whatever weapon there maybe at the characters disposal. It is a fantastic co-operative experience, the gunner will scream at the driver as he once again slams into another “obvious” bomb, whilst the driver will sigh in disappointment when an ill times boost is used. Frantic is not a word I use lightly.

The two-character system is very clever; each character has their own special weapon, which works best in certain situations (Donkey Kong’s big banana is a great weapon to get in first place) and this adds a tactical element to play. A Kart can be chosen from a list which determines your speed and other vehicle related abilities. But this tactical element doesn’t hide what this game is in its heart, and that is Mario Kart. It isn’t such a big departure from tradition that everyone originally feared; it still plays, feels and even drives the same.

It is still a good jump into this generation, Nintendo have spent a lot of time and money to ensure this still tops the genre it created. Nintendo have decided to include Diddy, the character they kept during the sale of Rare and fans of Diddy Kong Racing will probably have to settle with this. Each character comes with their special Karts (many can be unlocked), you may miss the old Karts but collecting cool Karts is actually a good laugh and each have their own attributes. They are almost like a third character.

Despite the single player offering the same tough but fair frantic affair, it is the multiplayer that Mario Kart was always king of. Now including the best co-operative system known to man, a 16 player LAN connection, smaller balloon battle arena’s for faster more fluid gameplay plus a host of new games such as Shine Thief and Bob-omb Blast. It really is the best and most fun Mario Kart multiplayer package to date. So all is well in that department. The arenas are all well designed and particularly in Balloon Battle they don’t seem a far cry from Mario Kart 64’s own arenas.

The graphics are the same simple look as before with many settings being inspired from the now players choice classic Mario Sunshine. They do look a tad “too simple” and many effects are poorly used, but it is good enough for what the game is supposed to do. The time trial is still here too so you can still try and beat your times. But the major flaw comes in the music, not bad by all means but slightly disappointing in both sound and quality. The tunes include the traditional celebratory music that has been “spruced up” but it has been more ruined. Nevertheless as duff as it may sound the effects are fine and it doesn’t detract from the superb gameplay.

And so Mario Kart, in the words of Agent Smith: “Welcome back! We’ve missed you.”

93%
Sat 29/11/03 at 00:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Honestly.
>
> In kernel's defense, I don't think there's a single person here who
> can honestly say they're not even the slightest bit disappointed with
> Double Dash. I mean, come on, it's obviously a rushed job.

I can. I'm not disappointed in the slightest.
Sat 29/11/03 at 00:03
Regular
"relocated"
Psy(c)ho Fox wrote:
> Why do you assume that I am a fanboy?

I think I got you confused with the nasty man who said I had no friends and made me cry. Perhaps you're not a pre-pubescent whatever-it- was-I-called-you. Sorry.

To answer your questions: I've been playing it a lot (for me) over the past week, mostly on my own but sometimes with two other people. It just doesn't do much for me. I didn't post this topic to annoy people but because I'm a Nintendo fan who is hugely disappointed by an update to one of my favourite ever games. I just think it was a wasted opportunity. Nintendo games are the only ones I would buy without reading a review - but Mario Kart has made me think twice about that. If other people enjoy it then great, but I'm going to stick my copy up on ebay and get F-Zero with the proceeds.
Fri 28/11/03 at 23:21
Regular
Honestly.

In kernel's defense, I don't think there's a single person here who can honestly say they're not even the slightest bit disappointed with Double Dash. I mean, come on, it's obviously a rushed job.
Fri 28/11/03 at 23:15
"The Will of D."
unknown kernel wrote:
> PsychoFox, you're defending obvious design flaws. Can you see THROUGH
> that pile of bombs? No? Then they're obstructing your view.

Sorry but I don't need to see THROUGH them, the camera for the character is high enough so that I can see OVER an infront of the bombs, so in answer to you question, Yes, I can see through the pile of bombs.
Fri 28/11/03 at 23:11
"The Will of D."
Unknown kernel how many times have you actually played this game, and how many people played it with you during those times? Please answer seriously if you can.

Why do you assume that I am a fanboy? I don't go into the other console forums and make fun of or say horrible things about the best console games for PS2 or Xbox at the time, I am not a fanboy because I even sometimes hate some of the best gamecube games like Pikmin or Super Monkey Ball because they actually DO give the gamecube a really bad Kiddish name.

I bought most of the Mario kart and F-Zero games purely on the multiplayer factor as well as some reaction time honing and getting rid some frustration, EVEN though ALMOST all racing games I don't like and hardly ever buy. F-Zero and mario kart are the only type of racing games i will ever buy beause they are fun (Mario Kart) and Cool in a science fiction point of view (F-Zero).

Mostly the only type of games I play are single player and sometimes multi, but since I have a lot of friends I buy these games that I like as much as you must love your best game so they can try to beat me as much as I try to bat them at their games.

Can you actually say that for yourself?
Fri 28/11/03 at 18:37
Regular
"the burning sky"
Mattribute wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> That's funking ridiculous. I think they've got probably the worst
> taste in games out of the most multiformat magazines.
>
> I'll agree that that is just stupid, but it is a class magazine

Do you really think this thread should be at the top of the forum... how about resurecting one of the other threads...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.