GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"competition for the GBA?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/12/03 at 09:30
Regular
What do you think about the n-gage or the tapwave zodiac, can they compete with gba even though they both have supoerior graphics and functions.
N-gage has been a failure for nokia, and the tapwave has not got the attention it needs to make a success(I think that the tapwave is better thatn the n-gage).
And then we have the psp wich has gotten mixed opinions after the first pictures of the handheld console.
Will Sony outsell Nintewndo with its strong userbase or will Nintendo stand against the threats.
I think that Sony has a fair chance of selling many PSP's since it is so powerful and there is already announced more games for the PSP than the n-gage.
But Nintendo has yet to announce their next handheld console wich is in development right now.
You know if you attaches a screen to the iQue-player it will be like a handheld N64.
I want your opinions about this topic.
Fri 05/12/03 at 18:31
Regular
"thursdayton!"
leflus wrote:
> But it is the sum of the Tapwave, the N-gage and the PSP who can
> threat Nintendo.

What the hell is Tapwave?!
Fri 05/12/03 at 09:30
Regular
leflus wrote:
> But it is the sum of the Tapwave, the N-gage and the PSP who can
> threat Nintendo.

So two crappy handheld consoles that no one will buy and one possibly good one that might sell is a threat? Yeah...
Fri 05/12/03 at 08:38
Regular
I think they are releasing new Gameboy's too quickly. I was perfectly happy with the GBC. Obviously an upgrade to the more powerful GBA was inevitable, but to release a GBA SP five minutes after the GBA's release was a bit stupid (and money-grabbing). Fair enough, it's a better design, it's backlit and has a rechargeable battery - and I bought one regardless, but it wasn't really necessary.

Oh, and the PSP will get a lot of effort put into it by Sony. Now all they've got to do is refrain from downgrading it the day before launch ;)
Fri 05/12/03 at 08:27
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> I do love it when people say "competition for the GBA" and
> followit up with mention of the N'Gage. Oh, how I laugh.

it is not the n-gage(i hate the N-gage) who will cause any trouble since it only has ports of different middle-rated games and it has that weird design.
But it is the sum of the Tapwave, the N-gage and the PSP who can threat Nintendo.
I know that Nintendo has had some competition in the past and they have beaten Atari and Sega and many more.
These consoles can compete with the GBA if Nintendo is not taking them seriously, especially Sony's PSP.
I hope that Nintendo will announce their next Gameboy soon even though it outsells the N-gage at the moment.
Thu 04/12/03 at 17:17
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
Insane Bartender wrote:
>Oh, how I laugh.

True.
Thu 04/12/03 at 15:19
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Nintendo more or less monopolise the hand-held market and I can see them doing so for a long while to come.
Although they ruled the home console market in the mid-nineties but were still over-taken by Sony, I just can't see it happening again. Why? There are so many more Game Boys around now than N64s and Playstations. It would take a shift of mighty proportions to take over Nintendo's Game Boy userbase.
Thu 04/12/03 at 13:35
"Darkness, always"
I do love it when people say "competition for the GBA" and followit up with mention of the N'Gage. Oh, how I laugh.
Thu 04/12/03 at 13:32
Regular
That's pretty good!

I want one now! Might as well just buy an N64 though.
Thu 04/12/03 at 13:18
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
put iQue in the search box on play-asia.com and all will be revealed
Thu 04/12/03 at 12:42
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Whilst I'm sure the PSP will be a good piece of kit, I'm also sure that because of this it'll be fairly expensive. It'll appeal to a small percentage of people who spend money like water, but if it's overly expensive as high-tech gadgets are, it'll put off a large majority of people.
By the time the PSP arrives, the GBA will be much much cheaper and will never be caught in sales terms.

I'm looking foward to the next GBA, that'll be when the real competition starts, because PSP vs GBA is no contest.
Tapwave Zodiac and GP32, whilst may be good, also won't compete, much like the Neo Geo Pocket Color, due to the lack of consumer awareness, decent games and general other third party developer support.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.