GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"competition for the GBA?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/12/03 at 09:30
Regular
What do you think about the n-gage or the tapwave zodiac, can they compete with gba even though they both have supoerior graphics and functions.
N-gage has been a failure for nokia, and the tapwave has not got the attention it needs to make a success(I think that the tapwave is better thatn the n-gage).
And then we have the psp wich has gotten mixed opinions after the first pictures of the handheld console.
Will Sony outsell Nintewndo with its strong userbase or will Nintendo stand against the threats.
I think that Sony has a fair chance of selling many PSP's since it is so powerful and there is already announced more games for the PSP than the n-gage.
But Nintendo has yet to announce their next handheld console wich is in development right now.
You know if you attaches a screen to the iQue-player it will be like a handheld N64.
I want your opinions about this topic.
Sun 07/12/03 at 19:15
Regular
I did not say that the GBA would be outsold by the other consoles but that they would maybe give the big N some competition in the market
Sun 07/12/03 at 19:01
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I get the guys point.
>
> Individually, none of these other handhelds are much of a threat, but
> as a whole, they are at least a thorn in the side.
>
> There are going to be some people who buy a N-Gage,PSP or a tapwave
> (I want one), or a GP32 or whatever. And it will make Nintendo lose
> some sales.
>
> As for the N-Gage, there is a small chance that it doesn't die the
> horrible death it currently should. The design is horrible, but Nokia
> know that now. And if Nokia were to redesign it, make it easier to
> change games, and a few decent games came out, I would consider it.
> After all, Sega redesigned the Mega Drive.
>
> Small chance, but it could happen.

Finally someone is getting my point!
Sun 07/12/03 at 18:38
"I love yo... lamp."
I get the guys point.

Individually, none of these other handhelds are much of a threat, but as a whole, they are at least a thorn in the side.

There are going to be some people who buy a N-Gage,PSP or a tapwave (I want one), or a GP32 or whatever. And it will make Nintendo lose some sales.

As for the N-Gage, there is a small chance that it doesn't die the horrible death it currently should. The design is horrible, but Nokia know that now. And if Nokia were to redesign it, make it easier to change games, and a few decent games came out, I would consider it. After all, Sega redesigned the Mega Drive.

Small chance, but it could happen.
Sun 07/12/03 at 17:00
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> leflus wrote:
> Both the tapwave and the PSP are good consoles.
> They are both better consoles than the GBA.
> The n-gage is also better than the GBA but it does not have the
> exclusive games it need to break through in the market.
>
> So you have all 4 handheld consoles, even though some aren't out?

Who have said that I had all four of the handheld consoles?
The only one I have is the GBA.
I am just saying that if you look at the tech specs they are better than the GBA.

> The only one that could do a little well looks a bit rubbish, to be
> perfectly honest. I was looking forward to the PSP until I saw Sony's
> crap design, with some touch-screen buttons or whatever they are. And
> if the N-Gage isd better than the GBA, how come it doesn't have ANY
> good games? Furthermore, trying to play anything on one is a complete
> hell.
>
> The XBox is the best console by itself, but what's the point of
> having a console without any games? If you take into account the
> titles on offer, the GameCube is the better console.
>
> See? Games are what make a console, not some crappy tech specs to
> show off about to fools that actually care.

You must remember that the pictures of the psp is only some concept images and since they have gotten so crappy comments Sony will surely change the PSPs design for E3.
The tapwave has many exlusive games if you compare it to the n-gage.
The PSP has already over ten games in development for the release.
And something we have to think about is that the GBA is a bit outdated if you compare it to the newer handheld consoles to the market.
I am not saying that the other consoles has better games than the GBA but they can get some in the future.
All I am hoping for is that the next GB will be announced soon.
Sun 07/12/03 at 10:48
Regular
"GTAisTHEbest!!"
N-gage or the others will never overtake GBA because of 2 reasons:
1) Nintendo's excellent reputation
2) GBA's wide range of games
All though the N-gage is an even better buy than GBA because of its other features, GBA will stay the best out of them all!
N-gage is better than the other ones though and GBA better than then all!
Sun 07/12/03 at 10:36
Regular
leflus wrote:
> Both the tapwave and the PSP are good consoles.
> They are both better consoles than the GBA.
> The n-gage is also better than the GBA but it does not have the
> exclusive games it need to break through in the market.

So you have all 4 handheld consoles, even though some aren't out? The only one that could do a little well looks a bit rubbish, to be perfectly honest. I was looking forward to the PSP until I saw Sony's crap design, with some touch-screen buttons or whatever they are. And if the N-Gage isd better than the GBA, how come it doesn't have ANY good games? Furthermore, trying to play anything on one is a complete hell.

The XBox is the best console by itself, but what's the point of having a console without any games? If you take into account the titles on offer, the GameCube is the better console.

See? Games are what make a console, not some crappy tech specs to show off about to fools that actually care.
Sun 07/12/03 at 09:26
Regular
"eat toast!"
i would disagree, Ngage will find it a real challenge as nintendo reputation makes it difficult to break into the market with n-gage. Its modelled in such a way that the games have to be removed by taking out the battery and then replace the game and put the battery back in. Very inconvient.

The games themselves haven't had good reviews recently, and to be honest, although the power might ne there, the games are trash. Panamonium wasn't good on the ps1 and the fact its on the ngage doesn't help it in anyway.

i have yet to see the others. But i'll comment on it later when i do.
Sat 06/12/03 at 14:07
Hmm been looking at the iQue, and 5 games and the console for £70 doesn't see too shabby; however, my only concern is the pad, which does look too bulky to hold for long periods... and the position of the z button, while unavoidable, seems a bit crap as well.
Sat 06/12/03 at 13:40
Regular
> What the hell is Tapwave?!

The Tapwave is a handheld console.
You can read about it at the website www.tapwave.com
Sat 06/12/03 at 13:39
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> leflus wrote:
> But it is the sum of the Tapwave, the N-gage and the PSP who can
> threat Nintendo.
>
> So two crappy handheld consoles that no one will buy and one possibly
> good one that might sell is a threat? Yeah...

Both the tapwave and the PSP are good consoles.
They are both better consoles than the GBA.
The n-gage is also better than the GBA but it does not have the exclusive games it need to break through in the market.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.