GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favicons in InstantPro!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/03/10 at 14:41
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
You can now add your own Favicon to your InstantPro Websites!

To do this you will need to select the Web site design Editor option from the Site Overview screen, and then select the 'Edit Miscellaneous' option.

On this page you will be able to upload your own favicon to your InstantPro Website!
Tue 09/03/10 at 11:05
Regular
Hmmm... I absolutely retract my comments about IE8 being glitchy with asking for passwords. It's even offering to remember my password for MyFreeola in IE8 now. You were indeed correct :)

Maybe these other people who had similar problems (that I found by searching) also have similar javascript on their login pages? Who knows.
Tue 09/03/10 at 10:54
"Are you sure?"
Yep - that's got it! :¬)

Preview working...

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site
Tue 09/03/10 at 10:39
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Thanks for your investigation Hmmm, I believe I found the problem an issue with the URL, not quite to do with the "www.", but to do with the URL none the less.

This issue should be resolved now, if you try again you should see the preview. If you notice any other issues please do not hesitate to let us know :D
Tue 09/03/10 at 09:44
"Are you sure?"
LukeM wrote:
> I have not been able to find any issues with the preview for the
> favicons however. Not in any browser. How long did you wait on
> this page? Is it possible you did not wait for all the images to
> display? Were there any missing image icons showing? The more
> information regarding this issue the better because so far I
> cannot reproduce it.

Hi LukeM,
I've taken a couple of screen shots to show you what I get when I upload a Favicon. I've left the dialogue box there for a few minutes and nothing loads and there don't appear to be any broken images. I'm using FF 3.6

The first InstantPro message is correct as I'm loading a small image - Favicon size in fact :¬)

Screen Shots

In the 'preview' window I just see the text "Your edited Favicon image" where I'm assuming I should be seeing the actual Favicon?

I see the URL doesn't include 'www' which doesn't work (unfortunately*) for Freeola500 sites - could that be part of the problem?

*In the past I've been told this can't be changed which is a shame - I thought it could be done with a a DNS or symlink change?

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site
Mon 08/03/10 at 19:05
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
LukeM wrote:
> I call out to anyone else with InstantPro accounts who have not
> used this feature yet to try it out and let us know how you get on.

Works great for me :)
Mon 08/03/10 at 18:12
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
I have just tested the majority of sites who have uploaded favicons. They all seem to work in IE7 (on XP SP3) and IE8 (on Windows 7), albeit with a delay between the page being rendered and the favicon being found and displayed by the browser.

There shouldn't be any issues with favicons being found by your browser at the moment, but as I have said before in another favicon related thread (I think), that favicons are quite temperamental and when you are regularly changing them and trying to make them work problems with caching and all sorts can occur.

I have not been able to find any issues with the preview for the favicons however. Not in any browser. How long did you wait on this page? Is it possible you did not wait for all the images to display? Were there any missing image icons showing? The more information regarding this issue the better because so far I cannot reproduce it.

Thanks again for your testing Hmmm, and I call out to anyone else with InstantPro accounts who have not used this feature yet to try it out and let us know how you get on.
Mon 08/03/10 at 18:00
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Removed the JS submit to put a proper submit button in and added some JS to removed and added the inputs that swap when the radio buttons are clicked. Leaving them hidden didn't work. Should hopefully work for most people now!
Mon 08/03/10 at 17:52
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
> RE: IE's refusal to remember MyFreeola logins. We've had some
> progress on this thanks to the link you posted. It's now working
> in IE 6, 7 and 8 for us. Hopefully it does for you too. You may
> need to clear your browser cache.

[b]Yippee![/b] It works :¬)
Was is just removing the JS submit or have you changed other stuff as well.

Hopefully this will keep your IE customers happy.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 08/03/10 at 16:53
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
LukeM is having a quick check.

RE: IE's refusal to remember MyFreeola logins. We've had some progress on this thanks to the link you posted. It's now working in IE 6, 7 and 8 for us. Hopefully it does for you too. You may need to clear your browser cache.
Mon 08/03/10 at 16:22
"Are you sure?"
...Just noticed that my Favicon had stopped displaying again in IE today. Looking directly at it it was still the same size as my original (unlike the other day when it was bigger).

Just uploaded another original png and it displays straight away in IE ?

Any other Freeola InstantPro users tried adding a Favicon to their site yet?

My Freeola InstantPro Site

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.