GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XIII Problems (well, only one!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Xiii'.
Thu 11/12/03 at 17:03
Regular
I cannot play this anymore. The splash screen asks me to insert a XIII Disc - I tried all 4 - no luck. I even put one disc in each drive (I only have two drives) but still got nowhere.

So I decided to uninstall and start afresh. Now I can't Install the damn thing!

I get to disc 2 and the installation fails due to 'cyclic redundancy check' or something like that. I have come across that in the past and I can't remember if I managed to find a solution.

Is the disc knackered? Is it one or (gulp) both of my drives? Or is it that stupid protection device I've heard of, where it won't work if you have more than one optical drive in your machine?

Please help! If it's the disc(s), I'll have to go return it quick.

Ta.
Thu 11/12/03 at 17:03
Regular
I cannot play this anymore. The splash screen asks me to insert a XIII Disc - I tried all 4 - no luck. I even put one disc in each drive (I only have two drives) but still got nowhere.

So I decided to uninstall and start afresh. Now I can't Install the damn thing!

I get to disc 2 and the installation fails due to 'cyclic redundancy check' or something like that. I have come across that in the past and I can't remember if I managed to find a solution.

Is the disc knackered? Is it one or (gulp) both of my drives? Or is it that stupid protection device I've heard of, where it won't work if you have more than one optical drive in your machine?

Please help! If it's the disc(s), I'll have to go return it quick.

Ta.
Thu 11/12/03 at 17:14
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I don't think it's the discs, but I haven't got anymore ideas. Um Cyclic Redundancy Check is also known as CRC but I don't really know what it does. Some way of checking data's all as it should be... or something.

'Or something' was probably more accurate.
Thu 11/12/03 at 17:24
Exchange the discs.
Thu 11/12/03 at 18:37
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
XIII uses a new copy protection which has caused major problems to those who play copied versions of the game (read quite a bit about this one on the web)

Aparently though now it has been fully cracked but it could be a similar reason why your game isn't working, not sure exactly what else the new protection checks for. Try exchanging it and if that dosn't work a cleverly worded letter to the publisher about your problem could see them help you out and send you free stuff.
Thu 11/12/03 at 19:33
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> Try exchanging it and if that
> dosn't work a cleverly worded letter to the publisher about your
> problem could see them help you out and send you free stuff.

Mmm... Might try that.

I'll take it down tomorrow. If it don't work after that, big words will be used toward the publishers...
Thu 11/12/03 at 22:14
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
AliBoy wrote:
> XIII uses a new copy protection which has caused major problems to
> those who play copied versions of the game (read quite a bit about
> this one on the web)
>
> Aparently though now it has been fully cracked but it could be a
> similar reason why your game isn't working, not sure exactly what
> else the new protection checks for. Try exchanging it and if that
> dosn't work a cleverly worded letter to the publisher about your
> problem could see them help you out and send you free stuff.

It would'nt effect the game not loading up or installing. The copy protection effected people when they got to level 12, as the crackers did'nt test the game all the way through, but thats been fixed now.

CRC would indicate a problem with either a CD drive or the CD itself. I had a CDRW which I burnt a game to and I kept getting CRC, so I kept getting the file again, but kept getting CRC. Looked at the CD and near the end the disc had a scratch on it, so burnt it to a different CDRW and it was fine.

Also with some DVDRWs they havent been able to be read properly on a friends DVD drive so he could'nt read off the data.

I would check the disc is not scratched a a CRC error on installation would strongly indicate a scratched disc.
Fri 12/12/03 at 06:26
Regular
Now that you mention it, there does seem to be a thin 'ring' round the disc, at the edge. I thought nothing of that, as I have used discs in the past that had a similar ring - maybe they didn't use that portion of the disc though.

Well anyways, I'm just going to get a refund on it and then get it again after Xmas, but on Xbox. I'm getting too much hassle from my PC these days so the mofo is getting wiped when I get me new Shuttle system!
Fri 12/12/03 at 06:46
What model is the shuttle?
Fri 12/12/03 at 07:03
Regular
SB62G2 (I think).

It's got Intel 'Extreme' graphics on board (wow) and six USB2 ports. Got it from Kustompcs.com (their site seems to be down at the mo).

Got it with a P4 2.8 and 512Mb Ram. I also got the remote control unit for it so I can be extra lazy!
Fri 12/12/03 at 07:05
WOW! Just like a multimedia hub.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.