GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is my new PC any good?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/12/03 at 15:48
Regular
"....."
I'm clueless on what's good and what's not, so would this PC give me a good performace on all the latest games?

My old PC was a 166mhz (1997) and as you can guess, I haven't been able to play games for about 3 years, thus losing touch with how games & PC's have progressed.

It's from Dell.

Here's the spec:-

December 87 intel pentium 4 processor 3.2ghz
Dimension 8300 3.2ghz 800FSB
512 MB (ram) DDR400 dual channel memory
3.5 floppy drive
120gb (7200rpm) 8mb cache IDE hard drive.
Sonic software for DVD/RW + R
8x/2.4 DVD+R/+RW and 16x DVD
18inch Ultra sharp performace flat panel midnight grey monitor
128mb ATI Radeon 9800 PRO graphics card
Creative labs Audigy2 audio card
multimedia kybd, SW DVD and AD995 speakers

How good is this? It's delivered to mine on the 5th Jan 04.

cheers...

john
Fri 02/01/04 at 19:36
Regular
Because the speakers are expensive?
Fri 02/01/04 at 01:12
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Oh and just to agree CMSS 3D is a little wonder... you have to hear those mp3s being blasted around the room in a 5.1 upmix from stereo...

(admittedly by onboard audio could do the same) but the audigy just sounds so much better...
UrKIe-Uk:

You really need to get a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker set, I cant believe your running such a powerful card through 2 speakers!!

Right thats enough kissing up to creative from me for one day.
Fri 02/01/04 at 01:07
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
yah Ive got an audigy2 soundcard with creatives own 5.1 P580 speaker system...

AWESOME stuff, the sub really pounds and the satellites have no problems keeping up.

EAX however i find works like a dream in some games (Max Payne2) and in others its less noticeable (KOTOR).Hitman2 and GTA Vice city show it off quite nicely though.

By the way UrKiE-UK...

Its not 192khz at 24bits all the way... thats only when playing back the new DVD-audio discs or when recording from various sources.
Fri 02/01/04 at 00:33
Regular
well, yeah i do 'ave one.

The Audigy 2's definitely for those who want to control every aspect of their sound. For example, it has a calibration sequence that you can run that will probably take up to 10 minutes, which is actually a rather long time, but you get the idea - it sounds the bees knees when you've gone through that.

Clarity is also Excellent - 24-bit 192khz all the way. And, the new updates feature EAX 4.0, which is a whole lotta effects. Also, CMSS 3D is implemented, and it makes a big difference in the whole aura of the room.
Here's an example of clarity for you.

Without an audigy 2 -> E*cell*en* *sou*d

WITH an audigy 2 -> Excellent Sound

Do i make my point clear? no? then i haven't used an Audigy 2! What? woah.

What i mean is, it brings out features in sounds and songs that you've probably never heard before. I can also imagine my PC wiping the floor with my bro's Stereo system, as my 5.1 speakers are quite good, although the Audigy 2 can stretch up to 6.1...

Also, it has a bilt in firewire port aswell, designed with Creative's larger devices in mind, like the huge-memory Jukebox Zen, and other stuff. Mind you, i don't use that yet. It's got lots of things i'll never use, but many others will.
Thu 01/01/04 at 23:46
Regular
"....."
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> Well, now that i'm back with a vengeance, i can happily say that the
> Audigy 2 is an excellent, EXCELLENT sound card - look forward to THAT
> especially, john.

Have you got one? If you have, why do you say the audigy2 is an excellent sound card?

Cheers.
Wed 31/12/03 at 17:06
Regular
Icarus wrote:
> Iters a ok spec, could upgrade your mon to 21 inch though.

Wow, you're certainly loaded!

*tries to cover up strangeness of comment*
Wed 31/12/03 at 17:05
Regular
Well, now that i'm back with a vengeance, i can happily say that the Audigy 2 is an excellent, EXCELLENT sound card - look forward to THAT especially, john.
Tue 30/12/03 at 03:39
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
tigamilla wrote:

>
> Such as when you find out that your Radeon 9800 Pro is actually
> onboard and theres no AGP slot :-( <--just an example!!

Lol!! Thats harsh.
Sat 27/12/03 at 22:37
Regular
"That's right!"
Darkus wrote:
> I wouldn't take my pc near the PC world car park, let alone in the
> shop iteself! are you mad! don't risk it!

--------

Yeah, look what they did to Gary Glitter.
Sat 27/12/03 at 19:11
Regular
"....."
Cheers guys.

Nope, wasn't bragging. I was just checking to see *how* good it was.

Now I'm really looking forward to it's arrival on the 5th.

woohoo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.