GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Age of Empires 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Age of Empires 3'.
Wed 24/12/03 at 08:03
Regular
"Ace"
Does anyone have any info on Age of Empires 3? whens it coming out etc.
Fri 09/01/04 at 21:40
Regular
I agree. At first when I got AOE:AOK I did the campaings but after I did that the game got a little boring until I took it online, from there on it was great, ADDICTIVE (YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :p), fun and it's still a top game online to this day.
Fri 09/01/04 at 17:19
Regular
Arg, all this talk of AOE3 makes me want to play it even more!

I think the thing that draweme most to the game was its online community it created, millions of players played it and you could get a decent game out of it.
Fri 09/01/04 at 16:14
Regular
mikelar wrote:
> Lipe wrote:
> There was a custom map with this feature in AOK, it was alot of fun
> but I don't think it would be needed in the actualy game. People can
> always make another custom map.
>
> the point of the idea was so that it doesn't have to appear in some
> poorly made scenario. Archers blood worked similar to the experience
> idea but it wasn't the same, individual soilders didn't get any
> better, your whole army would improve with 50 kills or something.

I didn't mean Archer's Blood. The custom map I meant (I've forgotten the name) was each individual soldier got higher stats after he got however many kills.
Thu 08/01/04 at 23:49
Regular
"Fun in the sun"
mikelar wrote:
> but for the purposes of being fun, you have to be able to make a ton
> of Champions so that you can send them into someones village where
> they then use their villagers to "battle" your heavily
> armoured soilders.
>
> It'd be stupid to have a population limit AND a unit limit. Also,
> having the option to make older versions of a unit makes no sense
> since, after the upgrade, the unit costs the same......thats 20 gold
> and 60 food for a soilder. Militia or Champion.
>
> *played AoE: The Conquerors religiously for 2 years once*

What I meant to say is that you should not have just a few units available to you, like in the Barracks. You should be able to train much more units per age, so you can build your champions (which would be much more expensive as they were of higher importance) and you could train other, more common and cheap soldiers (I'm not talking about pikemen - more like the men-at-arms). I would not like to see a unit limit, i'd just like to see that it is much more expensive to train the better units, so it gives you the options: to A- save your resources to train a small group of 'elite' infantry, or B- train up cheaper and weaker in large groups. Simpler yeah?
On a different not - resources. I would like to see is a Cossacks-style of resource design. In cossacks your food resources went down constantly, which meant that you had to actually think how you would manage your econemy. This also meant that you had to plan wether or not to save up for a while to get those elite units or spend your resources on cheaper units who did not consume as much.

I doubt any of that will be implemented, but there you go. I'm sure it will still be a great game.
Thu 08/01/04 at 23:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tell you what.

Epic battles = didn't exist.

Medieval size battles need to be done.

Nothing else will impress me.
Thu 08/01/04 at 23:18
Regular
"Selected"
but for the purposes of being fun, you have to be able to make a ton of Champions so that you can send them into someones village where they then use their villagers to "battle" your heavily armoured soilders.

It'd be stupid to have a population limit AND a unit limit. Also, having the option to make older versions of a unit makes no sense since, after the upgrade, the unit costs the same......thats 20 gold and 60 food for a soilder. Militia or Champion.

*played AoE: The Conquerors religiously for 2 years once*
Thu 08/01/04 at 23:10
Regular
"Fun in the sun"
One thing i hope that they change for AOE3 would be a much more wider selection of units and I hope that change the fact that once you have upgraded a unit, you can't build the older version. I guess I just don't like the idea that you can build loads of, say Champions, when in real life champions were few compared to a much more common unit like men-at-arms.
Thu 08/01/04 at 22:46
Regular
"Selected"
Lipe wrote:
> There was a custom map with this feature in AOK, it was alot of fun
> but I don't think it would be needed in the actualy game. People can
> always make another custom map.

the point of the idea was so that it doesn't have to appear in some poorly made scenario. Archers blood worked similar to the experience idea but it wasn't the same, individual soilders didn't get any better, your whole army would improve with 50 kills or something.

It'd give battles far greater depth trying to decide whether your 10 highly experienced Champions could take on 50 fresh out of the barracks Long Swordsmen.
Thu 08/01/04 at 21:46
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
All this talk of AOE 3 make me want to get it even more. Stop torturing me! Please!
Thu 08/01/04 at 21:35
Regular
Meh, I got it. It is alot of tosh, I started playing it and got about half way through the first campaign and then I just gave up. Maybe I'll go back to it someday...but if AOE3 is any good then I'll forget it :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.