GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Ever Specs!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/08/01 at 21:07
Regular
What a crap title. My worst ever. Anyway, I'm getting a new PC very soon indeed, and will order one tomorrow unless my internet connection doesn't work again. And my question to all of you is: what's the best equipment at the moment for a PC? And no, I don't want bias towards SR or anything, mentioning only those that are in the Mag - I would like you to inform of the most recent specs. I'm getting a P4 PC, if that helps. If you have any info, or any URLs which can be helpful, please post here. I want the best motherboard, sound card, HD, everything!
Wed 22/08/01 at 22:30
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
The slots fitting depends on the motherboard/case architecture...as far as I know, P4 motherboards should be ATX (correct me if I'm wrong), so any ATX case will fit them fine.

It's really not that time consuming building your own PC, mine tend to work first time providing I actually have all the parts..it's a good learning experience too, and it helps to know the details of all the components when you need to diagnose problems.

Personally, I don't like P4s...I know that they're powerful, but they push the overall price of a system way up, and all the extra power is otios at the moment, and will be for a while yet..

I'd rather go for a 1.4ghz Athlon, nice Abit mobo, 512mb+ ram, a geforce3, and plenty of storage - preferably at least 7200rpm hard drives.
Wed 22/08/01 at 22:24
And how EXACTLY are flat panels impractical? They save space, use up les electricity and there's no glare. Although I do have a couple of queries - is it possible to connect speakers to the TFT, because on photos everywhere I've seen these tiny little speakers on the side which look crap. Finally, I've heard that games played on TFTs are not as good on the old, fat monitors - why is this?
Wed 22/08/01 at 22:21
So what you're saying is buy all the equipment in manually and assemble it together? I would do that, but for 2 reasons:

a) Not enough time
b) I'm not sure if the slots in PC towers will work with the P4 motherboard

Also, I'm afraid I need a flat panel monitor - at the moment, I've comprimised my TV for the chunky old monitor - so space saving is a must.
Wed 22/08/01 at 22:15
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
One piece of advice I'd give you straight away is lose the 17" flat panel...good for showing off, but impractical and not cost effective. You could have a nice 21" CRT for less..

Also, I'd say "don't buy pre-built PCs". You'll never get exactly the components you want, so you'll have to compromise, and pay more for getting them to assemble/ship it.
Wed 22/08/01 at 22:09
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Im dont have a clue, p4 1600mz? Geforce 128 meg card? 3d somink sound card. 40gig hard drive, 256 ram.

24inch moninter. Just to top it off ;o)
Wed 22/08/01 at 21:58
Sorry, I meant £2,000. Anyway, I think you're all missing the point - although I want a PC bundle, it would be nice (read: absolutely ESSENTIAL) to have the best equipment in every field: for example, can someone tell me what the best GeForce 3 Graphics card is, the best Sound card, etc. Best motherboard for P4. Oh, also the best flat panel monitor (must be 17 inches). oh, it doeesn't matter if the PC has a crappy software bundle - it's all useless anyway (except for the virus checkers and Office).
Wed 22/08/01 at 21:50
Hey, as long as it's under £200, I don't really care. Anyway, my parents are paying for it (or some of it).
Wed 22/08/01 at 21:39
Regular
VEry expensive to get a new PC..
Wed 22/08/01 at 21:38
Regular
Simply get an SR mag and the most expensive MAXX PC is the most powerful around.

Not neccessarily the most cost efficient though.
Wed 22/08/01 at 21:07
What a crap title. My worst ever. Anyway, I'm getting a new PC very soon indeed, and will order one tomorrow unless my internet connection doesn't work again. And my question to all of you is: what's the best equipment at the moment for a PC? And no, I don't want bias towards SR or anything, mentioning only those that are in the Mag - I would like you to inform of the most recent specs. I'm getting a P4 PC, if that helps. If you have any info, or any URLs which can be helpful, please post here. I want the best motherboard, sound card, HD, everything!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.