GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rock music..er...rocks"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/08/01 at 18:46
Regular
A post today about Slipknot made me dig out my old metal albums and I forgot just how damn good they are.
I still listen to Clutch, but lately have drifted towards Radiohead, Tom Waits..just more laid back.
So I got back tonight and wacked in my Soulfly album that I haven't listened to in an age.
And it rocks.
Pure and simple rock passion.

Noisy, aggressive, confrontational and hard to appreciate at 1st (hey, that's me!).
Takes me back to being at college with long hair and wearing death-metal t-shirts, watching bands play The Square.

I've seen some top gigs, and most of the best were rock shows.
Soulfly rocked the Astoria about 4 years ago, full-on, shouting and passionate music.
Came out ears ringing and throat raw from singing along.
I love rock music, it feeds my heart when I feel annoyed, calms me down when I feel stressed.
Ok, Metallica on now "Justice for All".
Nevermind your "load" and "reload" albums, Bon Bloody Jovi mate, you wanna listen to old school Metallica, when they mattered.

Stick "One" on and tap your feet through the slow bits, then hit THAT riff and kick-drum pattern. Turn it up and shout along, you know you want to
"Landmine - has taken my sight, taken my speech, taken my hearing"

YES!!

That's what makes me laugh about nu-metal.
Bunch of kids in shorts rapping about how crap parents are and jump about in time for the chorus.
Please...that's not rock.

Metallica is rock.
Pantera is rock
Biohazard is rock
Public Enemy is rock.

Rock is a state of mind, it's "Ok now HIT IT" for the song/album.
My band isn't rock, think Stereophonics/Travis sort of thing.
But I am schooled in rock, that's where my training is.
And as a result, I play like I'm in Slayer.
I hit my kit and I hit it hard and often, split my hands open and end up sweating through my t-shirt.
You can keep your bloody radiohead for when you feel life is harsh.
I like 'em, but that music will make you think "Wow, they really understand. I feel connnected, yet sad"

Rock? You feel down? Whack it on. It's not "I feel sad and sensitive", it's "YES! COME ON THEN! LET'S GO"
Get's you fired up and ready to tackle life's problems instead of sitting around writing 2nd rate poetry.

So, if you are unfamiliar with rock, let it into your life.
Rock can heal and nurture you.

Or, go listen to Radiohead and feel mopy for a bit.
Wed 22/08/01 at 13:21
Daphne and Celeste suck and blow?

I thought they were under age?
Wed 22/08/01 at 13:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
loki wrote:
At least Daphne and Celeste had some decent songs.

Er...are you a girl? Or 9?
No offence Loki, but come on.."U.G.L.Y" or that other one with "your momma too and your daddy!"

Decent songs?
Reading Festival is about bands that play, bands that get up and can kick it live. 2 pre-teenies prancing about with child-taunts set to a drum-machine?

Someone has to stand up and take the flack for saying "Some acts suck.", and I'm only too happy to do that.
Daphne & Celeste suck.
In a major, major way.
It's ok if your mum stills buys your records on a Saturday but if you're old enough to work and earn money, there is no excuse for buying Daphne & Celeste.

They dont write their songs, they dont write the music, they dont have any say in what they do and they bottled off-stage for a good reason.

They blow.
They are not a band, they are an act designed for little kids that don't know any better.

(this isn't directed purely at you Loki, this is a rule for music)
Daphne & Celeste suck, they had their 15 mins and now they're gone.
Their only future lies in serving burgers or ending up on crack bleating about how they used to be famous.

I'm not trying to defend Slipknot or any other band I may like, this is about purely saying Daphne & Celeste are beyond any level of suckage that anything has ever attained.

Ever.
Wed 22/08/01 at 12:57
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Goatboy wrote:
> Whether I like Slipknot or not (I don't dislike them), I have to
> say, hand on heart, that watching Daphne & Celeste get bottled
> off-stage was one of the finest moments in modern musical
> history.

Personally I reckon that moment ranks a close second to the previous year when Kevin Rowland came on stage and sang 'The Greatest Love of All' dressed in silk lingerie. He almost cried when everyone was bottling him off!!!

Comercial suicide indeed. Alan McGee what were you thinking...?

God I wish I was going to Reading this year now..
Wed 22/08/01 at 12:34
That'd be the one written by Alice Cooper? ;-)

They destroyed it, completely.
Wed 22/08/01 at 12:16
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Goatboy wrote:

Every single year, one
> pop act should appear at a festival main-stage on the rock line-up
> day.
If you play mindless pop toss and you get up on stage with a
> line-up that includes Slipknot, Marylin Manson and others?

I'm sorry, I just don't see how the phrase 'mindless pop toss' doesn't apply equally to Slipknot and Marylin Mansun. I've seen some puerile and dreary acts in my time but those two take the biscuit. Both bands are attract more attention for their stupid fancy dress image than their music. At least Daphne and Celeste had some decent songs.
Wed 22/08/01 at 12:02
Regular
loki wrote:
> Where is it? I'll take a look.

IT's just called Dance Music.

It's a way down the list.....
Wed 22/08/01 at 12:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Whether I like Slipknot or not (I don't dislike them), I have to say, hand on heart, that watching Daphne & Celeste get bottled off-stage was one of the finest moments in modern musical history.

That was the population that listen to bands that play like they mean it showing exactly what they thought of pre-packaged, purile infant pop.

We don't often get to show these robots how we feel, we rant in forums and tell our mates how much we think they suck.

But, that glorious sunny morning, 2,000 music fans saw a chance to show those 2 idiots just how much they matter in music.
The picture showing the fear on their faces, and the stage-hands laughing their butts off behind them is the dekstop on my pc at home now.

Beautiful, wonderous and almost as inspiring as that lone guy in front of the tanks at Tiannamen Square.
Daphne & Celeste should have started a trend.

Every single year, one pop act should appear at a festival main-stage on the rock line-up day.
If you play mindless pop toss and you get up on stage with a line-up that includes Slipknot, Marylin Manson and others?

If all you had to do was run off the stage?
You got off lightly.
Wed 22/08/01 at 11:35
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Where is it? I'll take a look.
Wed 22/08/01 at 11:33
Regular
loki wrote:
For
> every DJ Jurgen who creates enjoyable dancefloor hits using preset
> Yamaha patterns there is an Aphex Twin, Photek, u-ziq or DJ Shadow
> who turn programming or breakbeat creation into an artform.

I wrote a post on this yesterday.....
Wed 22/08/01 at 11:29
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Slaveunit wrote:
In the rock
> scene, wether or not you like a particular band, you can always say
> that they have a talent - the ability to play instruments. (Sex
> Pistols not included there, but thats another argument). There was
> that program on Channel 4 where they put people into different jobs,
> they did an Oxford Toff into a bouncer, a Vicar into a Used car
> salesman and a concert cellist into a DJ.

It took her all her
> life to be as good as she was on the cello, yet it took her 1 month
> to learn decks well enough to fool music industry bods and pro
> DJs.

That's not really relevant though is it. It took her a month to learn how to play records. That is put a record on one deck and fade in a record from the second deck. Not exactly rocket science. Creating dance music is another thing. For every DJ Jurgen who creates enjoyable dancefloor hits using preset Yamaha patterns there is an Aphex Twin, Photek, u-ziq or DJ Shadow who turn programming or breakbeat creation into an artform.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.