GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rock music..er...rocks"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/08/01 at 18:46
Regular
A post today about Slipknot made me dig out my old metal albums and I forgot just how damn good they are.
I still listen to Clutch, but lately have drifted towards Radiohead, Tom Waits..just more laid back.
So I got back tonight and wacked in my Soulfly album that I haven't listened to in an age.
And it rocks.
Pure and simple rock passion.

Noisy, aggressive, confrontational and hard to appreciate at 1st (hey, that's me!).
Takes me back to being at college with long hair and wearing death-metal t-shirts, watching bands play The Square.

I've seen some top gigs, and most of the best were rock shows.
Soulfly rocked the Astoria about 4 years ago, full-on, shouting and passionate music.
Came out ears ringing and throat raw from singing along.
I love rock music, it feeds my heart when I feel annoyed, calms me down when I feel stressed.
Ok, Metallica on now "Justice for All".
Nevermind your "load" and "reload" albums, Bon Bloody Jovi mate, you wanna listen to old school Metallica, when they mattered.

Stick "One" on and tap your feet through the slow bits, then hit THAT riff and kick-drum pattern. Turn it up and shout along, you know you want to
"Landmine - has taken my sight, taken my speech, taken my hearing"

YES!!

That's what makes me laugh about nu-metal.
Bunch of kids in shorts rapping about how crap parents are and jump about in time for the chorus.
Please...that's not rock.

Metallica is rock.
Pantera is rock
Biohazard is rock
Public Enemy is rock.

Rock is a state of mind, it's "Ok now HIT IT" for the song/album.
My band isn't rock, think Stereophonics/Travis sort of thing.
But I am schooled in rock, that's where my training is.
And as a result, I play like I'm in Slayer.
I hit my kit and I hit it hard and often, split my hands open and end up sweating through my t-shirt.
You can keep your bloody radiohead for when you feel life is harsh.
I like 'em, but that music will make you think "Wow, they really understand. I feel connnected, yet sad"

Rock? You feel down? Whack it on. It's not "I feel sad and sensitive", it's "YES! COME ON THEN! LET'S GO"
Get's you fired up and ready to tackle life's problems instead of sitting around writing 2nd rate poetry.

So, if you are unfamiliar with rock, let it into your life.
Rock can heal and nurture you.

Or, go listen to Radiohead and feel mopy for a bit.
Fri 24/08/01 at 10:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Top job Slave, nice win mate.
Thu 23/08/01 at 22:09
Regular
In response to Slaveunits post, (Which was a FAD winner, well done mate!):

I wrote the post about how dance music is deeper than most people think, however I can't agree with you about the ProppeloHeads. They're not dance, they're drum n bass, which is completely different, and rubbish.

You say that for each good dance track you hear, there are 50 rubbish ones. A good point, yet one not really levelled at other genres. The rock genre for example. Everyone here is saying how great rock is, yet they haven't mentioend any rubbish groups, except nu-metal, which is fair enough.

The chart scene is not biased towards dance. The chart scene is reflecting the mass market music. Which at the moment is dance. Back in '96, every track you heard on the radio was indie. The scene is changing, we are heading towards a more club orientated society. And the charts reflect that.

As I've already said, the charts only play the mainstream tracks from each genre. The tracks more likely to sell well, which is why most dance tracks you here will sound similar. They go along with the generic formual off bassline with a stringy and synth bit on the top, with some fit bird singing on it.

I have dance tracks that have strings sections on them that have been compared to mozart. Thats progressive dance. Some of it is unbeleiveable. If there was now underlying bass, you'd think you were listening to some classical music. It's well impressive.

You go on to talk about how that woman who was a celloist was trained to be a DJ, and yo usay it took her only a month. Fair enough. But, and this is a common mis-conception, DJ's not normalley create the tracks.

DJ's play the tracks out in clubs or on the radio. Tecnically, being a DJ isn't that difficult. You play one record, then fade into the next. Once you've got that basic principle, you're sorted.

Excpet you're not. The art of being a proper DJ is reading the crowd. Knowing what track to play next to keep them dancing. You play the wrong track at the wrong time, and half the dance floor walk off, it's as simple as that.

You also say that in the rock scene, whether you like the band or not, they all have talent. What rubbish. I don't call some bloke shouting/mumbling down the microphone so badly I can't understand him as talent. You need a degree in gibberish to work some of the lurics out, it's ridiculous!

I agree that some rock acts hav skills. There are some rock bands I like, I like nearly all genres of music, but that doesn't mean that dance producers have no skills either, it just means you're listening to the wrong tracks. You say it's "some random bloke pressing buttons on his keyboard". Again, I say, you're listening to the wrong stuff.

The dance music genre is more complex that most people realise, and because of this, it's one that's least understood by the mass market, hence the same old dance rubbish getting in the charts all the time.
Thu 23/08/01 at 10:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
loki wrote:
Although, in an
> attempt to provoke some kind of pointless argument I am likely to
> come in here and have a go at rock music just for the hell of it

Pointless arguments also rock, just as much as rock does.

It's just that everyone I've heard who gets
> lumped into this nu-metal category by the press are just sickeningly
> bad.

I absolutely agree, 100%. It's not that all this "nu-metal" stuff is bad, just the 3-4 bands that make the charts.

Except for Queens of the Stone Age. They're ace.
A fine band indeed, weren't some of those chaps in Kyuss?
Never heard them, but this stoner-rock thing is quite a blast to listen to.

> take a listen to GI Blues or Sherriff Fatman by Carter USM. God,
> how old must I be...

Carter USM...my god I forgot about them.
They were ok, just played down The Square every other Tuesday.
Dirty Hippies.

Drum machines are pretty cool, Boss Hog rule, as does the old school "industrial" stuff like Ministy.
Pop is ok, it does it's job.
I don't like it, but then the majority of my music could be considered awful if you didn't like it.

But Limp Bizkit etc...toe-curlingly bad.

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'm off ill today so I need to go do ill stuff. Like watching DVDs and playng video-games.
Thu 23/08/01 at 09:36
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
This was largely the reason for me coming in here defending Daphne & Celeste. Apart from the fact that I do get annoyed at people who insist that you shouldn't enjoy music for its own sake unless you can prove who wrote it, using what instrument and what tunings they used, I really can't stand this 'nu-metal'.

Although, in an attempt to provoke some kind of pointless argument I am likely to come in here and have a go at rock music just for the hell of it, I could actually list quite a few loud and scary guitar driven bands that I really love.

It's just that everyone I've heard who gets lumped into this nu-metal category by the press are just sickeningly bad.

Except for Queens of the Stone Age. They're ace.

Oh, and as for drum machines, great. If anyone out their thinks that 2 muppets jumping around and singing over a drum machine can't make fantastic impassioned, socially aware and intelligent music then take a listen to GI Blues or Sherriff Fatman by Carter USM. God, how old must I be...
Wed 22/08/01 at 23:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I don't get this nu-metal thing.

Seems to be a bunch of thirty-somethings jumping around and rapping (really badly) about how mean parents are and how your girlfriend doesn't understand you.

Fred Durst. A 30year old millionaire record exec leaping about singing "my generation" and "Give me something to break"...just seems a little fake.

OPM - lovely little pretty men singing about skateboarding, but admit they don't skate. I smell assembly-line corporate bandwagon there.

Papa Roach - Sub-moronic lyrics ripped from the Fight Club screenplay laced with absolutely laughable teen-angst crap.
"It all started when I lost my mother..no love for myself...". Video has lots of affluent teens sulking in their bedroom in their parents house.

Slipknot - Ferocious music, hardcore lunatics in that band. Watched an interview with them on mtv, they flip a coin to see who gets punched in the face before going onstage.
I may not like their music, but I can't say these guys are posers just in it for the money.
There's something genuinely wrong with these guys.

Marylin Manson - Sorry, his name is Brian Warner. I'm not taking anyone seriously called Brian, especially when he's recycling Alice Cooper's act.

Just as with pop or blues or any other form of music, the stuff that is mainstream and recognised by most people is generally the weakest stuff of that genre. The stuff that has mass appeal, whilst the genuine talent lies unheard because it isn't commercial enough to get played on radio.
Wed 22/08/01 at 22:41
oh and Limp Biscuit, Nu Metal or any other clone aint rock.

It's pants.

Of the very smelly variety.
Wed 22/08/01 at 22:40
I agree with the Goat, Rock is Passion, much much more can be released from it, instead of going to some club and dancing to the lastest 'House' track.

Rock rocks.

Check out rock the 'German style', find a group called Helge and the FireF**kers. Man they can turn any cover into a class rock song!
Wed 22/08/01 at 18:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
loki wrote:
You always seem to
> take evertything so seriously.

Not at all, I laughed my face off when I saw them flee in terror, they honestly couldn't understand they had no place at a festival.
That music is fine for what it is, simple plastic pop.
I don't care about them, they don't matter to me one little bit.
I agree that "pop" (whatever that is) has it's good points.
Not every song has to be serious and life changing, some music is purely for listening to and enjoying.
I get that, I honestly do mate.

But - that style of music has no business at a festival. And that was made abundantly clear to them.
Pop does it's job, and it operates in it's own world of top of the pops, the box and saturday morning kids shows, smash hits etc. Nice, inoffensive, make 'em happy format shows.

You got to a festival though, and pop will get eaten and spat out.
A festival is people getting drunk, having sex, taking drugs and listening to live bands that are, more often that not, somewhat alternative.

That's why acts like Daphne & Celeste don't appear at Reading and Glastonbury. You'll never see Five or Steps at a festival, because those shows are for grown-ups.
I'm not trying to be deep or make some statement, but 90% of bands like Daphne & Celeste have fans that are under 10.

And that's all good, but this was an example of when these acts try to step out and operate with real bands.
They get bottled off and booed.

Personally, I don't
> particularly like D & C but I'd take that over some morons
> grunting away in silly masks and swearing to look rebellious.

I'm not disagreeing or trying to say Slipknot are a good band. I'm saying Daphne & Celeste got what they deserved for playing at a grown-ups gig.

And
> what have you got against drum machines anyway?

I hate 'em. I spent over 10 years learning the drums, and ain't no button pushing ever gonna match that.
..just kidding. I have nothing against drum-machines at all.
It was just the easiest metaphor to use for silly, pre-teen pop bands, an example of the lack of musical ability these acts have.
Simply to highlight they dont play any instruments or do anything other than Karaoke numbers.

Which is just dandy, but it doesn't go down well at festivals.

Music can be fun and dumb, music can be deep and serious.
All kinds of music are, ultimately, beneficial.
But these bands need to know where they do and don't belong.

Pop has no place at festivals, it just doesn't happen, anymore that Slipknot would appear with The Tweenies.

I would like to watch that though.
Wed 22/08/01 at 13:56
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Goatboy wrote:

They dont write their songs, they dont write the
> music, they dont have any say in what they do and they bottled
> off-stage for a good reason.

You always seem to take evertything so seriously. Who cares who wrote the songs or music? Frank Sinatra never wrote any songs. So what? It's about enjoyment not whose name is on the copyright.

Personally, I don't particularly like D & C but I'd take that over some morons grunting away in silly masks and swearing to look rebellious.

And what have you got against drum machines anyway?
Wed 22/08/01 at 13:46
Regular
"Acid Casual"
devo wrote:
> Daphne and Celeste suck and blow?

How do you think they got where they are today...?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.