GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rock music..er...rocks"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/08/01 at 18:46
Regular
A post today about Slipknot made me dig out my old metal albums and I forgot just how damn good they are.
I still listen to Clutch, but lately have drifted towards Radiohead, Tom Waits..just more laid back.
So I got back tonight and wacked in my Soulfly album that I haven't listened to in an age.
And it rocks.
Pure and simple rock passion.

Noisy, aggressive, confrontational and hard to appreciate at 1st (hey, that's me!).
Takes me back to being at college with long hair and wearing death-metal t-shirts, watching bands play The Square.

I've seen some top gigs, and most of the best were rock shows.
Soulfly rocked the Astoria about 4 years ago, full-on, shouting and passionate music.
Came out ears ringing and throat raw from singing along.
I love rock music, it feeds my heart when I feel annoyed, calms me down when I feel stressed.
Ok, Metallica on now "Justice for All".
Nevermind your "load" and "reload" albums, Bon Bloody Jovi mate, you wanna listen to old school Metallica, when they mattered.

Stick "One" on and tap your feet through the slow bits, then hit THAT riff and kick-drum pattern. Turn it up and shout along, you know you want to
"Landmine - has taken my sight, taken my speech, taken my hearing"

YES!!

That's what makes me laugh about nu-metal.
Bunch of kids in shorts rapping about how crap parents are and jump about in time for the chorus.
Please...that's not rock.

Metallica is rock.
Pantera is rock
Biohazard is rock
Public Enemy is rock.

Rock is a state of mind, it's "Ok now HIT IT" for the song/album.
My band isn't rock, think Stereophonics/Travis sort of thing.
But I am schooled in rock, that's where my training is.
And as a result, I play like I'm in Slayer.
I hit my kit and I hit it hard and often, split my hands open and end up sweating through my t-shirt.
You can keep your bloody radiohead for when you feel life is harsh.
I like 'em, but that music will make you think "Wow, they really understand. I feel connnected, yet sad"

Rock? You feel down? Whack it on. It's not "I feel sad and sensitive", it's "YES! COME ON THEN! LET'S GO"
Get's you fired up and ready to tackle life's problems instead of sitting around writing 2nd rate poetry.

So, if you are unfamiliar with rock, let it into your life.
Rock can heal and nurture you.

Or, go listen to Radiohead and feel mopy for a bit.
Tue 21/08/01 at 18:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
A post today about Slipknot made me dig out my old metal albums and I forgot just how damn good they are.
I still listen to Clutch, but lately have drifted towards Radiohead, Tom Waits..just more laid back.
So I got back tonight and wacked in my Soulfly album that I haven't listened to in an age.
And it rocks.
Pure and simple rock passion.

Noisy, aggressive, confrontational and hard to appreciate at 1st (hey, that's me!).
Takes me back to being at college with long hair and wearing death-metal t-shirts, watching bands play The Square.

I've seen some top gigs, and most of the best were rock shows.
Soulfly rocked the Astoria about 4 years ago, full-on, shouting and passionate music.
Came out ears ringing and throat raw from singing along.
I love rock music, it feeds my heart when I feel annoyed, calms me down when I feel stressed.
Ok, Metallica on now "Justice for All".
Nevermind your "load" and "reload" albums, Bon Bloody Jovi mate, you wanna listen to old school Metallica, when they mattered.

Stick "One" on and tap your feet through the slow bits, then hit THAT riff and kick-drum pattern. Turn it up and shout along, you know you want to
"Landmine - has taken my sight, taken my speech, taken my hearing"

YES!!

That's what makes me laugh about nu-metal.
Bunch of kids in shorts rapping about how crap parents are and jump about in time for the chorus.
Please...that's not rock.

Metallica is rock.
Pantera is rock
Biohazard is rock
Public Enemy is rock.

Rock is a state of mind, it's "Ok now HIT IT" for the song/album.
My band isn't rock, think Stereophonics/Travis sort of thing.
But I am schooled in rock, that's where my training is.
And as a result, I play like I'm in Slayer.
I hit my kit and I hit it hard and often, split my hands open and end up sweating through my t-shirt.
You can keep your bloody radiohead for when you feel life is harsh.
I like 'em, but that music will make you think "Wow, they really understand. I feel connnected, yet sad"

Rock? You feel down? Whack it on. It's not "I feel sad and sensitive", it's "YES! COME ON THEN! LET'S GO"
Get's you fired up and ready to tackle life's problems instead of sitting around writing 2nd rate poetry.

So, if you are unfamiliar with rock, let it into your life.
Rock can heal and nurture you.

Or, go listen to Radiohead and feel mopy for a bit.
Tue 21/08/01 at 19:21
Too right. I've had Totalrock radio on this evening, and they played 'Arise' by Sepultura. I hadn't heard it in ages, and it sounded great.

I might have to dig out some Judas Priest. All together now....

'Breaking the law, breaking the law. Huh huh huh huh.....'
Tue 21/08/01 at 19:27
Some new music is great 'rock' music. Particularly albums falling in the 'stoner/desert' rock genre. My particular faves being Fu Manchu. A crash course between Judas Priest, Hawkwind, skateboards and dune buggies. Supersuckers rock too.
Tue 21/08/01 at 21:36
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I had the privilege of being brought up on Black Sabbath and the like thanks to me eldest brother and as a result have many complaints from my girlfriend when I put some music on because "It's s***".

Some people just don't understand ...
Tue 21/08/01 at 22:03
"possibly impossible"
Yep, rock rocks!

Good post. FAD winner too I reckon....
Tue 21/08/01 at 22:24
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I did English test on rock music today :-(

Was fun to read though :D

Nice post... need sleep

Night
Wed 22/08/01 at 10:17
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
If you play Slayer drums on Travis tracks, I have to hear your band! :D

And finally, I find some people on this site that listen to proper music! It's not that I diddnt think you were here, it's just that I diddnt know who it was. It's nice to meet you all!

There was a post yesterday, I can't remember who it was from, about how dance music is more segmented than you initially think, and that there is more talent behind it than meets the eye. Whilst this is true, and there are some quality acts in the scene, (propellorheads), there is just so much mindless junk. I consider myself to be open minded about music, and can appreciate anything that shows talent, be it any style, yet for dance music, for every track I have heard that there is talent behind, there are at least 50 tunes that are complete cheddar.

What gets my goat (sorry, goatboy!) though is that the chart scene is heavily dance biased, and that all the tunes that make the charts are so unbelievably talentless it makes me want to rip their heads off.

In the rock scene, wether or not you like a particular band, you can always say that they have a talent - the ability to play instruments. (Sex Pistols not included there, but thats another argument). There was that program on Channel 4 where they put people into different jobs, they did an Oxford Toff into a bouncer, a Vicar into a Used car salesman and a concert cellist into a DJ.

It took her all her life to be as good as she was on the cello, yet it took her 1 month to learn decks well enough to fool music industry bods and pro DJs.

In the world where people have the skills to play their own instruments, there is so much more talent in the music. Any dance fan has to agree that Radiohead have skills, yet they play it themselves.

The music scene is starting to recognise this, with more and more instrument-driven bands making it into the charts, and though I dont like a lot of them, it's a damn site better than some random bloke pressing buttons on his keyboard and creating a tune in 5 minutes. MTV-Music Generator 2 shows this off brilliantly. You can create a chart quality track in 10 minutes (including loading time!).

What do you recon people who listen to dance will listen to when they are old?
Wed 22/08/01 at 10:29
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
I've been reading in trendy media circles that quiet is the new loud. Daft admittedly but if it means that just one person ends up listening to Low, Tortoise or A Silver Mt. Zion instead of Slipknot then it is a good thing.

I've never forgiven those brain dead apes in Slipknot T-Shirts who bottled off Daphne and Celeste at Reading last year. Philistines.
Wed 22/08/01 at 10:38
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Quiet is the new loud? Black is the new white? DUMB! look them up in the dictionary. Black is nothing like white, and quiet is nothing like loud. Its a silly ting to say, made up by people who get paid far far too much to talk such nonsense.

I was at that reading, and the bottling of Daphnie and Celeste was one of the highlights! They deserved it for trying to play their worthless pap on the same stage as Slipknot.

For your own mental welfare I do hope you were kidding...
Wed 22/08/01 at 11:20
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Black is the new white? Don't you know anything! It's brown that's new black. Or at least it was. Maybe black's now the new brown.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.