GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Ubi Soft Disaster"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/01/04 at 11:27
Regular
It is not a good sign now is it. Probably one of the greatest third party developers working at the moment, Ubi Soft, have had a bit of Christmas blues.

It isn't slightly surprising that third party giant EA ruled the charts with a handful of Harry Potter titles, Football sims, first person shooters, sport games and of course Return of the King. But Ubi Soft was hoping their critical acclaimed success during the ECTS and E3 would pay off this Christmas.

Naturally sales of the Metal Gear Solid beater Splinter Cell did charmingly well as did the rather nice Rayman 3. So the Christmas line up of XIII, Beyond good and Evil and Prince of Persia should happily keep the fantastic publisher afloat.

Apparently not.

Despite impressing the critics Ubi Softs promising Platformer Beyond Good and Evil and epic Prince of Persia dissapeared from the sales charts almost immediatly. These games are excellent titles that show third parties are willing to try something new, these poor sales could have a horrible effect on the company as a whole.

The games were given a christmas exclusive for the PS2 in Europe and the poor sales showed how Sony's master machine didn't need them at all. With the Eye Toy being one of the most requested toys. Us Nintendo fans will get the games on 26th of February and released at a special discounted price. Prince of Persia will be avalible for 44.99 Euros (£30) and Beyond Good and Evil is released at 29.99 Euros (£20)...

For such a budget price I hope you all pick up a copy, these games will be amazing and Ubi Soft deserve some appreciation.

If only we could get a similar deal to the one in America (Buy Prince of Persia and get Splinter Cell free)... but now I'm just being cheeky.
Mon 12/01/04 at 19:57
Regular
What a shame.

Prince of Persia and Beyond Good & Evil are both very good games and well worth a full price tag. Just one of them is better than all that EA junk combined, and the Eye Toy too.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:32
Regular
Well at least it's working.
Mon 12/01/04 at 16:26
Regular
Wasn't gonna get BGAE

But at £20...

*buys both games immidiately*
Mon 12/01/04 at 15:46
Regular
I know...

Lets hope this doesn't put Ubi Soft off.
Mon 12/01/04 at 14:24
Regular
"everyone says it"
Prince of Persia is so damn good though.

Argh!
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:37
Regular
I've always been wanting to get those two titles, alogn with Sphinx. 3 sleeper hits of 2004 me thinks. Oh, and perhaps Killer 7 too.
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I'll get both of them.
Mon 12/01/04 at 11:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, for those prices, I'm DEFINITLEY getting both games! :D

I've looked into Beyond Good and Evil quite a lot, and I'm already interested in getting this game. It seems like quite a unique adventure-game, with many resemblences to games like Zelda.

I've never played a Prince of Persia game before, but I've also read some good things about this one. I'm not too bothered about it right now, but if the price is right, I might well give it a go, aswell.

I have a good feeling these games will sell better on the 'Cube than what they have done on the X-Box and PS.2. The likely scenario is that these games aren't "cool"-enough for them. Why would they want to explore strange new worlds when you could be running around some city pumping lead through innocent people?!

However, a lot of GameCube owners appear to see things differently. While many may also own PS.2's, a lot of them will have "been with" Nintendo for a long-time now, and know the value of a truly `goodŽ game - especially if they know UbiSoft and know Prince of Persia from before.
Mon 12/01/04 at 11:27
Regular
It is not a good sign now is it. Probably one of the greatest third party developers working at the moment, Ubi Soft, have had a bit of Christmas blues.

It isn't slightly surprising that third party giant EA ruled the charts with a handful of Harry Potter titles, Football sims, first person shooters, sport games and of course Return of the King. But Ubi Soft was hoping their critical acclaimed success during the ECTS and E3 would pay off this Christmas.

Naturally sales of the Metal Gear Solid beater Splinter Cell did charmingly well as did the rather nice Rayman 3. So the Christmas line up of XIII, Beyond good and Evil and Prince of Persia should happily keep the fantastic publisher afloat.

Apparently not.

Despite impressing the critics Ubi Softs promising Platformer Beyond Good and Evil and epic Prince of Persia dissapeared from the sales charts almost immediatly. These games are excellent titles that show third parties are willing to try something new, these poor sales could have a horrible effect on the company as a whole.

The games were given a christmas exclusive for the PS2 in Europe and the poor sales showed how Sony's master machine didn't need them at all. With the Eye Toy being one of the most requested toys. Us Nintendo fans will get the games on 26th of February and released at a special discounted price. Prince of Persia will be avalible for 44.99 Euros (£30) and Beyond Good and Evil is released at 29.99 Euros (£20)...

For such a budget price I hope you all pick up a copy, these games will be amazing and Ubi Soft deserve some appreciation.

If only we could get a similar deal to the one in America (Buy Prince of Persia and get Splinter Cell free)... but now I'm just being cheeky.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.