GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Ubi Soft Disaster"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/01/04 at 11:27
Regular
It is not a good sign now is it. Probably one of the greatest third party developers working at the moment, Ubi Soft, have had a bit of Christmas blues.

It isn't slightly surprising that third party giant EA ruled the charts with a handful of Harry Potter titles, Football sims, first person shooters, sport games and of course Return of the King. But Ubi Soft was hoping their critical acclaimed success during the ECTS and E3 would pay off this Christmas.

Naturally sales of the Metal Gear Solid beater Splinter Cell did charmingly well as did the rather nice Rayman 3. So the Christmas line up of XIII, Beyond good and Evil and Prince of Persia should happily keep the fantastic publisher afloat.

Apparently not.

Despite impressing the critics Ubi Softs promising Platformer Beyond Good and Evil and epic Prince of Persia dissapeared from the sales charts almost immediatly. These games are excellent titles that show third parties are willing to try something new, these poor sales could have a horrible effect on the company as a whole.

The games were given a christmas exclusive for the PS2 in Europe and the poor sales showed how Sony's master machine didn't need them at all. With the Eye Toy being one of the most requested toys. Us Nintendo fans will get the games on 26th of February and released at a special discounted price. Prince of Persia will be avalible for 44.99 Euros (£30) and Beyond Good and Evil is released at 29.99 Euros (£20)...

For such a budget price I hope you all pick up a copy, these games will be amazing and Ubi Soft deserve some appreciation.

If only we could get a similar deal to the one in America (Buy Prince of Persia and get Splinter Cell free)... but now I'm just being cheeky.
Fri 16/01/04 at 07:33
Regular
Indeed.

Ubi Soft have had some fantastic games lately, especially R63, POP and XIII (and the not so recent Splinter Cell, which I only just got)

Hope XIII did sell well though, like Dringo says. I need a sequel to it...
Fri 16/01/04 at 01:30
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ubisoft had a very fine chick at ECTS.

And its true, as a company they are very good. I'd love to have more Ubisoft games than EA games, anyday.
Thu 15/01/04 at 18:42
Regular
He is incorrect...

XIII was never delayed an official release date was never confirmed.

And I never said the frankly fantastic XIII did badly, in fact it did well.

All 3 games were advertised more than any Nintendo game ever :) Well advertised well anyway.

Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil are "all that" so shut it.

Top that off with X-box grabbing Rainbow six 3 and multi-console storming Splinter Cell and you have your proof...

Ubi-soft rule.
Tue 13/01/04 at 19:13
"period drama"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Damn straight, gerriod.

"gerroid" and "Damn straight" should never be found in the same sentance. They just don't go.
Tue 13/01/04 at 19:12
"period drama"
Actually, I did notice there was very little interest around those 2 titles. I got PoP on release, and it is very amazing, but no-one else on the forums seemed to get it, or really care.
Big shame, great game.
Ooohh ... poetic.

I was gonna claim BG&E for a GAD as well, but didn't. Now I'll wait for the GC release for the cheapness.
Or, if excitment overwhelms me, I may just buy it on PS2.

Probably 2 of the best games of recent times. Didn't cause much of a stir. If they released on GC at the same time, I've a feeling things may have gone differently.
Tue 13/01/04 at 19:10
Regular
Damn straight, gerriod.
Tue 13/01/04 at 19:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You, sir, are incorrect.
Tue 13/01/04 at 18:40
Regular
"aliens exist"
maybe its got something to do with the fact that XIII was put back, and back and back and people got fed up and spent thier money on another title.

then Beyond G&E looked crap and had a pig and a woman as main characters.

Prince of persia is nothing special and to be honest the majority of people who are buying games
now wont have heard of the old prince of persia games, to them its just another new game.

top this off with virtually no advertising and you have the makings of a crap results, so, the poor showing cant really be much of a surprise.

ubi soft arent all that anyway, they are resonsible for ray-man one of the worst series of games ever
Tue 13/01/04 at 14:48
Regular
Ubisoft announced today that it has acquired Tiwak, an independent French developer. You may remember the Montpellier-based developer as the brains behind Tork, which was in development for the Xbox. Interestingly, Tiwak was originally founded by a group of former Ubisoft developers.

"We are very pleased with Tiwak becoming part of the Ubisoft group, as it will give us the means to carry on our work in the world of top-quality video games creation," said President and CEO of Tiwak, Yann Le Tensorer. "Nowadays, creating hits requires considerable resources, which Tiwak is no longer able to gather. We truly believe that by joining the Ubisoft group, this will allow Tiwak to reach a higher level in terms of quantity and quality, thanks to the expertise and the scale of a first rank group."

President and CEO of Ubisoft, Yves Guillemot, added: "I am particularly happy about this acquisition, which fulfils our wishes to expand our production studios. Being enriched with competencies of experts with high creative potentials, Ubisoft will be able to keep on providing its customers with even more innovative and captivating games."
Tue 13/01/04 at 14:40
Regular
True.

But at least we get a cheap game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.