GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Ubi Soft Disaster"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/01/04 at 11:27
Regular
It is not a good sign now is it. Probably one of the greatest third party developers working at the moment, Ubi Soft, have had a bit of Christmas blues.

It isn't slightly surprising that third party giant EA ruled the charts with a handful of Harry Potter titles, Football sims, first person shooters, sport games and of course Return of the King. But Ubi Soft was hoping their critical acclaimed success during the ECTS and E3 would pay off this Christmas.

Naturally sales of the Metal Gear Solid beater Splinter Cell did charmingly well as did the rather nice Rayman 3. So the Christmas line up of XIII, Beyond good and Evil and Prince of Persia should happily keep the fantastic publisher afloat.

Apparently not.

Despite impressing the critics Ubi Softs promising Platformer Beyond Good and Evil and epic Prince of Persia dissapeared from the sales charts almost immediatly. These games are excellent titles that show third parties are willing to try something new, these poor sales could have a horrible effect on the company as a whole.

The games were given a christmas exclusive for the PS2 in Europe and the poor sales showed how Sony's master machine didn't need them at all. With the Eye Toy being one of the most requested toys. Us Nintendo fans will get the games on 26th of February and released at a special discounted price. Prince of Persia will be avalible for 44.99 Euros (£30) and Beyond Good and Evil is released at 29.99 Euros (£20)...

For such a budget price I hope you all pick up a copy, these games will be amazing and Ubi Soft deserve some appreciation.

If only we could get a similar deal to the one in America (Buy Prince of Persia and get Splinter Cell free)... but now I'm just being cheeky.
Sun 18/01/04 at 12:41
Regular
They do have their own patrol routes... they tend to be long routes.
Sun 18/01/04 at 10:54
Regular
"the burning sky"
Yukikaze wrote:
> One play of the XIII demo put me off it, it's basically a 'memorise
> the enemies positions' game.

I've noticed that actually the enemies tend not to be in the same place each time, i walk round a corner thinking an enemy wasnt there last time, but there they are with a gun in my face.
Sun 18/01/04 at 10:46
Regular
I don't think you've played XIII properly... it is a very different, highly addictive FPS.
Sun 18/01/04 at 10:25
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
On Gamecube maybe, but on Ps2/Xbox and PC I thought it sucked big time as I have played the demo on all 3. Far better games available for all 3 than XIII in this genre.
Sat 17/01/04 at 18:00
Regular
It's actually a fantastic amazing, wicked title.
Fri 16/01/04 at 18:20
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
One play of the XIII demo put me off it, it's basically a 'memorise the enemies positions' game.
Fri 16/01/04 at 12:24
Regular
Auf deutsch wrote:
> Indeed.
>
> Ubi Soft have had some fantastic games lately, especially R63, POP
> and XIII (and the not so recent Splinter Cell, which I only just
> got)
>
> Hope XIII did sell well though, like Dringo says. I need a sequel to
> it...

After viewing the ending I think that goes without saying.
Fri 16/01/04 at 10:17
Regular
Yeah I saw BGAE in gamestation for £18.99.

Tempted to buy it I was.
Fri 16/01/04 at 09:57
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I bought Prince of persia and beyond good and evil for my Ps2, but now both games are way below RRP, hence next time I won't bother until they are reduced. I'm guessing the same can be said of others, which will hurt UBI's next different games.
Fri 16/01/04 at 07:56
Regular
Roll on Splinter Cell 2...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.