GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The PS3 - My Thoughts"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/02/07 at 09:41
"possibly impossible"
This is probably the hardest fought console battle we've seen since Sega and Nintendo went head-to-head in the 16 bit days.

Sony launch their PS3 in Europe in March and it will sit on the shelves next to the already successful 360 and Wii consoles.

Now we know the price, I can make a much better comparison of the 3 choices.

For the PS3, £425 is much better, and inline with previous Sony console releases. Only £25 more in fact. I still think more people would buy it at a sub £400 price point, but I think the pricing is much fairer than it could have been here, for what you get.

The main point when thinking about buying a PS3 should really be how much you want the PS3 exclusive games. If you only want the ones that are also available on the 360, then the only other reason to get one is to be an early adopter for Blu-ray. I don't even think the blu-ray player is fully featured, but perhaps someone could confirm or deny this.

So, it's a case of buying a £279 console or a £425. The former has the option for HD DVD if you want to upgrade at £130, making it almost the same price for both machines if new DVD formats bother you. Graphics-wise, it's hard to tell the difference at the moment until Sony's console has some second generation games, which we can assume would be better looking, but by how much is hard to say.

Or you could always get a sub £200 Wii and have fun... :D

Anyway, there ARE reasons to get a PS3, especially for fans of Sony software and the greater number of Japanese titles out there. There are quite a few hardcore Sony fans in Europe that haven't been put off by the launch delay or tempted in the meantime by one of the other options. Which means Sony will still have a guaranteed user base at launch, even if (going by the US launch) it's possibly not as much as they hoped.

In fact, I see the biggest obstacle for Sony in Europe as the length of time the other 2 have had to take hold of the market, not the price point or the delay. The 360 has a wealth of titles already and the Wii is just that much different, as well as having enough media space devoted to it to put it in the forefront of anyone’s mind when buying a new console. Though personally I think the Wii and PS3 audience will only cross over a small amount and their user bases will be different enough that they shouldn’t have too much effect on each other’s market.

Taking away all the arguments of price and delays, the machine itself seems to be well thought out and ready for anything the future has to offer (at least as far as the next 3-5 years go). Sony say that it’s fully upgradable, but I’m sceptical about how ‘fully’ that is. Obviously, a lot depends on whether the Blu-ray format takes off and whether there are any teething problems with disc errors etc (as the pits on the Blu-ray discs are smaller they may also be more susceptible to damage if scratched or dirty). But Sony are looking at upgrades as and when needed which, in 3 years time, may make all the difference against the 360 which competes with it on a graphical level.

Since graphics seem to be a strong focus for Sony and Microsoft this time around, updating the graphics on the PS3 would surely be the most important ability any console allegedly capable of being upgraded should have. Sony haven’t said anything, but I can’t see an easy way of updating graphics hardware, only the software. PCs have graphics cards, that’s how they stay ahead, but consoles have chips built specifically for them and often come attached to the mainboard. We’ll find out in time, but I remain sceptical about how long Sony can keep off the launch of another new console in 5-7 years, even with their ‘upgrade-ability’ on the PS3.

But we’re here now, so lets focus on this year. Sony need to make inroads with the PS3 and the only way they can do it is by showcasing their exclusive titles. It’s the only way that any console can compete. Historically, titles on multiple formats have often been written with the weaker format in mind, being ported across with few changes. This means that unless exclusive titles are present, people may go for the cheapest platform to play their games on. But Sony have some strong titles waiting for release. Gran Turismo has been the major talking point so far, especially graphically, and Sony’s deals with 3rd parties should bring some strong titles to the system.

So, is Sony doomed? No. Will they have a tougher time than with the PS2? Most definitely. It’s impossible to say that one console is better this time around, the 360 and PS3 are so similar, despite their different specs, and the Wii appeals to the rest of the market. We can only wait to see how it all pans out in a few years time, but it’s a hot battle this time around and an interesting one. Just don’t write Sony out of the game at this point…
Fri 23/03/07 at 10:42
"possibly impossible"
Nice that the BBC put such a positive spin on things, that'll help Sony. They do need some good news to capture some more of the people sitting on the fence who have the money but aren't sure.
Fri 23/03/07 at 02:15
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sat 10/02/07 at 20:11
Regular
Lik-Sang got closed down. And they won't sell well here because people will begin to import them. Why buy for £425 when you can buy for £300?
Sat 10/02/07 at 19:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Killer Nightmare wrote:
> Anyone know where I should go to? Also do you think we will see
> a repeat of the releases of the Wii here and PS3 in America (ie
> very little in stock and extortionate prices on eBay)?

That reminded me of something. I thought the PS3 was supposed to be region free. In which case how come people havent just been importing them anyway?
Oh wait, it's region free but i seem to remember some company being shut down for exporting them.
Sat 10/02/07 at 17:35
"cheerios"
Has anyone preordered it yet? ( I'm looking around for the best deal)

Anyone know where I should go to? Also do you think we will see a repeat of the releases of the Wii here and PS3 in America (ie very little in stock and extortionate prices on eBay)?
Sat 10/02/07 at 15:00
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I suppose that with any console in the first 6 - 12 months after release there are only a handful of must have games. Just hope that the Wii provides more local multiplayer greats - otherwise it will be another let down for me.

Are there any planned PS3 games that aren't available on the PC/360 or wii that look decent?

EDIT: Just had a look through the games due for release on the PS3 on play.com - A lot are games due out on the 360 a few months before the Ps3 (or already out) and with the odd exception (Gran turismo, killzone and tekken) not many seem to be PS3 exclusives.
Fri 09/02/07 at 14:46
Regular
Mario and SSBB were both originally planned to release in March. Metroid should have been ready by now but I reckon they're going to put in an online mode which could be quite fun.

I didn't even know there was a Starfox title.
Fri 09/02/07 at 13:50
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
> Sonic and SSX are the only decent games coming out in March for
> Nintendo.

Sonic is supposed to be soooo much better than the other 2 formats Sonic games. SSX looks good as well, but yes, you're right, they're not really blow-away titles. Nintendo should have had Smash Bros, Starfox or Mario ready for March.
Fri 09/02/07 at 13:27
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Even they aren't must have games though. Just hope there are more great games coming out in the not too distant future for it.
Fri 09/02/07 at 13:13
Regular
Sonic and SSX are the only decent games coming out in March for Nintendo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.