GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"20 meg Broadband?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/02/10 at 00:10
Regular
How come when BT want to upgrade broadband speeds they always start in citys? they alway speed up London then roll out to parts of the UK then they find a better way to do it and make it faster, so they halt upgrading and start back in London again! why cant they just give the whole UK say 15 meg and settle at that?

The way they do it just now smaller exchanges seem to be always losing out! yet we still pay the same price! and I also think its misleading how they advertise speeds up to 20meg when clearly they know in their hearts that some exchanges will never ever be upgraded!

There now thats my venting for today :-)

Digi
Fri 12/02/10 at 13:19
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
It's a Voyager 190. The linked page mentions it is AOL only, this is a lie.

Obviously if they take up this offer the router will be pre-configured specifically for their connection.
Fri 12/02/10 at 13:12
"Are you sure?"
Hmmm... wrote:
> When signing up new Freeola BB customers can you provide a link
> to the 'free router' (I know it's only a basic one) that you get?
> Thanks.

*polite bump*
I'm due to see another possible Freeola ADSL client very soon so it would be good to see some info on the free basic (single port?) router they could get when they signup :¬)

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 11/02/10 at 18:58
"Are you sure?"
LukeM wrote:
> ...I agree with that, I currently live with a 0.8 - 1.1Mbps...

I'm sure you would have already done everything you can - but just for interest what's your line's attenuation (from the Test socket)?

Mine's 51db and I'm sync'd at 5120kbps.
I've optimised 'everything' I can which shows it works, as many of my neighbours only see around 2000kbps some much less :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 11/02/10 at 18:37
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> You're lucky as I think you have a good line and sync at the
> maximum 8128 with standard ADSL - so you can feel happy about
> that! ;¬)

I agree with that, I currently live with a 0.8 - 1.1Mbps connection, but I have heard rumours and seen BT Openreach teams rolling fibre down the street in the direction of my house! One can only hope and salivate.
Thu 11/02/10 at 17:17
"Are you sure?"
It's all down to money Digi! (like everything...)

BT with their FTTC/H* and other providers with LLU* are only spending the money on large exchanges where they will get a return for their investment.

What really hurts is BT's FTTC/H roll out (up to 40Mbps downstream, 5Mbps upstream) is being rolled out to people that can already get VM cable at 50Mbps!

You would have thought they would at least target areas that can't get cable...

You're lucky as I think you have a good line and sync at the maximum 8128 with standard ADSL - so you can feel happy about that! ;¬)

*FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet (BT Street Cabinet)
*FTTH = Fibre To The Home
This is where BT are replacing copper with Fibre Optic Cables.
In effect bringing the exchange closer to the home.

*LLU = Local Loop Unbundling
This is where non-BT providers have put their own equipment in exchanges. LLU doesn't use BT's terrible 'profiling system'!

Adsl Glossary
[s]Rushes off to update my Freeola hosted page! After finding I'm number 1 in the world on Google for adsl glossary :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 11/02/10 at 16:27
Regular
Warhunt wrote:
>
> Whilst I actually agree with you, you can't really expect
> companies to say "recieve broadband speeds up to
> 24Mbps....... except Braintree, Essex and some parts of Kent,
> and....." can you?
>
Digi replied..

Exactly my point Warhunt Essex may have 24Mbps and be very happy with it (I would be happy with 24Mbps) but then BT will manage to get say 36Mbps! but rather than give all UK 24MBps they go back to Essex as an example (am not picking on Essex) and they get 36Mbps mean while all potential upgrades to 24 are knocked on the head again!

When (not if) I am prime minister! I will have this thorny subject addressed first!

Digi
Thu 11/02/10 at 11:51
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Both good points Hmmm.... I'll mention them immediately.
Thu 11/02/10 at 11:39
"Are you sure?"
I'm in agreement that some of the advertising is "well dodgy!" :¬)
There can be a backlash where providers aren't 'up front' with the facts. In my opinion it's always better to be honest and transparent with customers from the start.

Some of the small print can be very small!

On BT's 'Infinity' (fibre) TV adverts the blurred small print is ridiculous!

But it's interesting that BT market their WBC 21CN packages as 'up to 20Mb' rather than 24Mb?!

NB.
Some of Freeola's wording could be clearer ;¬)

MyFreeola shows my package to be:
Broadband Monthly Tariff 24 Mb Pro
but the DD email I receive shows:
8Mb MAX Pro Standard Charge

I nearly know what I'm talking about but it confuses me!

Surely they should both match? My exchange isn't ADSL2+ so I guess that why the email reads 8Mb (I wish!) but shouldn't MyFreeola say the same?

It's all triv but I can see how new customers might get confused!

NB2.
When signing up new Freeola BB customers can you provide a link to the 'free router' (I know it's only a basic one) that you get? Thanks.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 11/02/10 at 11:09
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
It's that way with the whole advertising world Digi. I know it doesn't make it any easier or "able to be beared" but it's unviable to do it any other way.

And you say add a disclaimer. They do, as do we. Up to such and such speed. They also have a line down the bottom (on TV ads anyway) saying "Broadband speeds wil vary depending on....." (again as do we).

Whilst I actually agree with you, you can't really expect companies to say "recieve broadband speeds up to 24Mbps....... except Braintree, Essex and some parts of Kent, and....." can you?

At least with ourselves we tend to make it clear you may not receive speeds and actually force users to see what speed they are likely to achieve before they sign up. BT sadly do not.
Thu 11/02/10 at 10:23
Regular
No I had not seen that Machie, but I do think I am going to take the misleading adverts a bit further - clearly BT know what exchanges will never acheive these speeds so clearly they could add a disclaimer in the adverts, Oh and its not just BT that are guilty of misleading folks all ISPs are at this, and am not best pleased.

I did see that Google Buzz is going to steal the market that Facebook has the bigest share of, IE social networking sites.

Digi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.