GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"20 meg Broadband?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/02/10 at 00:10
Regular
How come when BT want to upgrade broadband speeds they always start in citys? they alway speed up London then roll out to parts of the UK then they find a better way to do it and make it faster, so they halt upgrading and start back in London again! why cant they just give the whole UK say 15 meg and settle at that?

The way they do it just now smaller exchanges seem to be always losing out! yet we still pay the same price! and I also think its misleading how they advertise speeds up to 20meg when clearly they know in their hearts that some exchanges will never ever be upgraded!

There now thats my venting for today :-)

Digi
Tue 16/02/10 at 16:38
"Are you sure?"
ButchML wrote:
> Obviously if they take up this offer the router will be
> pre-configured specifically for their connection.

Just signed up yet another Freeola ADSL customer for you! :¬)

Guess it's my fault the Faraday node is sometimes busy - I've put too many people on it ;¬)

EDIT: Commission to normal place please!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 16/02/10 at 11:47
Regular
OMG! shock and more shock! well what can I say guys other than thank you very much, I was speaking to my friend yesterday, who is a BT engineer. I asked him whats fresh? thats whats going on in english :-) and i said to him, whats with all the activity with the BT vans in our area recently, and he said!!..Oh thats the new fibre cables going in to your exchange! your exchange is all cabled up now ready for the 24meg broadband, WOW I said, so when do they switch it on, Ah he said, that we dont know yet, but it is ready, he also said that the upgrade worked was chased up as some one from Essex had been on the phone complaining :-)

Digi
Sat 13/02/10 at 11:49
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Yeah I know Digi. You have been a loyal Freeola fanboi in the past so I don't doubt you :D

I even agree with you on the general advertising thing...keep it quiet

I'm sure with the government schemes and ever increasing demand you will be upgraded soon enough. If it's any help Freeola's local exchange is not upgraded either. It keeps getting pushed back to.

But they are planning on making it one of the first to run fibre optic (July apparently) so it's ups and downs I guess.
Fri 12/02/10 at 18:02
Regular
Its Ok Warhunt and Freeola am not getting at you am getting at BT in general. I know what your saying and understand it, etc etc etc but I also know that our exchange and Hmms will probably never get ADSL 2 and for that reason alone I will feel cheated and I know its nothing to do with Freeola that decides what exchanges get upgradeded,

Digi
Fri 12/02/10 at 15:03
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I did yes, but completely ignored it for some reason. Got so much on >_<

The link I gave you is the one that is listed as info on the site when you sign up (which is the wrong picture) the one Butch gave is the correct router picture.

We will have the link (or at least the image) on the site changed ASAP.

You notice more things than me you do, which believe me is impressive. Seems I notice every little thing in house :D

Thank you for letting us know anywho
Fri 12/02/10 at 14:46
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the replies Warhunt.

Did you see that ButchML replied earlier pointing to a different router?!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 12/02/10 at 14:31
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Whilst I agree with you Digi, it is completely illogical to do so. The complexity of doing so would be....well very hard.

The best you can do (logically) is say what speeds you can go up to on our service, adn then do a few checks and give a realistic estimated speed....which we do.

That's not marketing spiel, it's just as much as we can do really.

Even people on the same exchange receive dramatically different speeds (ask Hmmm.... about his neighbours even :D) so even that's not reliably possible.

[Edit]After re-reading, it's more about the status of the exchange you are on about. We of course do not know this at the time when we advertise, so can't really do otherwise anyway.

If we stated 8Mb we would be lying to the customers on ADSL2+

All we can do is make it clear, which I personally think we do.
Fri 12/02/10 at 14:18
Regular
I agree with you on this Hmmm and yeah I am happy with my line, but again now that Freeola have upgraded my line to the new UP TO 24Meg line a feel like am being cheated, I know I am not as my line is going as fast as it can! but why say up to 24 when I know and BT know that my line will not be upgraded, am going round in circles here I know I am :) Freeola or BT should be more honest and just word it how it is with each exchange so in my case up to 8Meg no if no buts no mayby, and and tease me with things like up to 24meg, when its never going to happen.

Digi.

Hmmm... wrote:
> It's all down to money Digi! (like everything...)
>
> BT with their FTTC/H* and other providers with LLU* are only
> spending the money on large exchanges where they will get a
> return for their investment.
>
> What really hurts is BT's FTTC/H roll out (up to 40Mbps
> downstream, 5Mbps upstream) is being rolled out to people that
> can already get VM cable at 50Mbps!
>
> You would have thought they would at least target areas that
> can't get cable...
>
> You're lucky as I think you have a good line and sync at the
> maximum 8128 with standard ADSL - so you can feel happy about
> that! ;¬)
>
>
> *FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet (BT Street Cabinet)
> *FTTH = Fibre To The Home
> This is where BT are replacing copper with Fibre Optic Cables.
> In effect bringing the exchange closer to the home.
>
> *LLU = Local Loop Unbundling
> This is where non-BT providers have put their own equipment in
> exchanges. LLU doesn't use BT's terrible 'profiling system'!
>
> Adsl
> Glossary

> [s]Rushes off to update my Freeola hosted page! After finding I'm
> number 1 in the world on Google for
> adsl
> glossary
:¬)

>
>
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 12/02/10 at 14:15
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Got my response from the "powers that be" (:D) about 10 minutes ago Hmmm.... Been so busy today, not had a chance to get on here (as you will notice this is the first thread I came to)... :(

Anyway....

The inconsistant product names will be sorted on the e-mails shortly.

Looking into the link with the free router, I believe there is a pop-up with some details on it on the broadband signup process [LINK=https://secure.freeola.com/signup/adsl/equipment_popup.php?code=8889].
Fri 12/02/10 at 13:22
"Are you sure?"
Thanks - that'll be fine.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.