GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Performance Issues"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/02/04 at 17:38
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Ok...recently I formatted my hard drive becase of all the bugs and clogged up space. However after re-installing Windows ME and Call of Duty...I noticed a severe drop in performance, most noticably on the larger areas such as Stalingrad. I have a P4 1.4Ghz, 128mb Ge Force FX 5200 and 640Mb of RAM, this should not be happening. Before I formatted my hard drive CoD worked perfectly fine and was very smooth. I have installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, however I still have a lower performance. Strangely enough.....Star Wars Galaxies works better than ever. I just seems to be effecting CoD and KOTOR. Any tips on why it might be like this. Thanks :)
Mon 02/02/04 at 18:14
"Darkness, always"
Alastair, are you seriously comparing a 1.4ghz PC with a crappy Geforce FX 5200 with your 2.2Ghz 1Gb RAM system running a Radeon 9800XT?

OF COURSE YOUR PC WILL RUN IT FINE! YOU HAVE PROBABLY THE FINEST GRAPHICS CARD ON THE MARKET!!
Mon 02/02/04 at 18:11
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
The only problem is that the game worked perfectly fine with this graphics card before i formatted my hard drive...plus lowering the graphics settings hardly makes a difference. It even worked better with my old GeForce 4 MX 440 64Mb.
Mon 02/02/04 at 17:58
Regular
What settings do you have in the game? I have:

Athlon 2600 XP + (clocked at 2.2GHZ)
1GB PC 2700 RAM
Radeon 9800 XT

I can run the game on full settings and for the most I have very little slow down however the Russian campaign pushes my system to the limits, no matter what system you have you will get a frame rate drop at sections of the game. Before I got my new graphics card I had a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 and to be honest it really isn't good enough to run mediocre games on high settings. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you look around the Call of Duty forums you will see other people having very similar problems with lower end graphics cards, its nothing to do with your drivers or card, its just that so much happens at certain times (especially the Russian campaign) that no matter how poerful your system is you will get performance drops.
Mon 02/02/04 at 17:38
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Ok...recently I formatted my hard drive becase of all the bugs and clogged up space. However after re-installing Windows ME and Call of Duty...I noticed a severe drop in performance, most noticably on the larger areas such as Stalingrad. I have a P4 1.4Ghz, 128mb Ge Force FX 5200 and 640Mb of RAM, this should not be happening. Before I formatted my hard drive CoD worked perfectly fine and was very smooth. I have installed the latest drivers for my graphics card, however I still have a lower performance. Strangely enough.....Star Wars Galaxies works better than ever. I just seems to be effecting CoD and KOTOR. Any tips on why it might be like this. Thanks :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.